Point Driver

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: Point Driver

Post by Manalto »

Thanks, Jade. After my "speech" about a point driver being extravagant, I think I may reverse my decision anyway and get the Fletcher-Terry framemaster you recommend. Thank you for your kind offer, but I like using a point driver so I may allow myself that luxury for the relatively few windows I have to restore. (I count 17 windows, 6/1 - more when I find six windows to restore the sleeping porch) I've got time now to decide; I won't be back at the house until December. When the project is done, I know a window-restoration company that may appreciate having a spare on hand. Good deal?

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

it is a good deal indeed! that said, I have three...maybe it should go to the lowest bidder from the district!

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

heartwood wrote:...lowest bidder...

:lol:

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

I'm late to the conversation--as usual. I've been using the triangle points. I don't like the ones with wings, although I have used them and just clipped the corners. I couldn't find the triangles locally, so I ordered some, and immediately found them at my local Co-op! I have a tool with an indent that matches the width of the point that theoretically pushes them in without slipping, but it kills my arthritic hand, so I tend to just use my putty knife. I looked at a point driver, but couldn't justify the cost for 14 windows.
Bonnie

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

It's a luxury item for the number of windows you or I have, I guess. I keep waffling on this decision and also building the steam chamber because removing the putty wasn't a big deal on the two sashes I've done so far. Even if I did get such a relatively expensive tool for such a small job, it wouldn't be nearly as ridiculous as my next-door neighbor with his HUGE riding lawn mower that he can barely turn around in his postage-stamp yard.

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

Manalto wrote:Even if I did get such a relatively expensive tool for such a small job, it wouldn't be nearly as ridiculous as my next-door neighbor with his HUGE riding lawn mower that he can barely turn around in his postage-stamp yard.

:lol:

What in the world are you doing up at 3:47 am?
Bonnie

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Grumbling about my neighbors, apparently.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

If you are cheap enough you can simply take a pair of tin snips and clip them out of a bit of sheet metal or recover them and use them again. ;-)
I can see buying the fancy tool if you need to do a lot of them.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

I'm cheap enough but not patient enough.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

I did but I think it was more a situation where I'd rather just clip off a bit of metal and stay home than go shopping ;-)
The way I see it, it costs like 5 bucks to start the car, run to home despair, probably buy other stuff I don't even need because it's on sale. It happens ,, lol

There is savings even though they are probably only a dollar. its faster and easier in my opinion.. If you need lots it's different.
I just cut a narrow strip and clipped a few off. It's just seemed like a logical solution for the one pane I was doing. You could use stainless if rust is a concern. if they are bent or anything just put them on a hard flat surface and give them a tap with a hammer. you need tin snips. Speaking from experience, don't use the sewing scissors or there will be big trouble ;-)