Window Help Needed

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: Window Help Needed

Post by Corsetière »

Willa wrote:I can't download the pics but here are some different types of casement stays (news to me that is what they are called) and latches:

https://www.houseofantiquehardware.com/casement-window-stays

https://www.houseofantiquehardware.com/casement-window-latch

Oh! I like the idea of these! Thank you! That might be perfect!

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Willa wrote:Corsetiere took an intensive course on lead abatement, and is certainly qualified to contend with this issue in a thorough and competent manner. She passed her first inspection for lead abatement in the property with flying colors, after she met the city's first deadline. This was after hundreds of hours of hard work and expenses.

Of course she is following all the guidelines for abatement, handling, containment disposal.

Lol. Thanks for summarizing the saga for me, I have recited it so many times that it exhausts me. That was a very good concise summary of it. :lol:

awomanwithahammer

Post by awomanwithahammer »

Corsetière wrote:
Willa wrote:Corsetiere took an intensive course on lead abatement, and is certainly qualified to contend with this issue in a thorough and competent manner. She passed her first inspection for lead abatement in the property with flying colors, after she met the city's first deadline. This was after hundreds of hours of hard work and expenses.

Of course she is following all the guidelines for abatement, handling, containment disposal.

Lol. Thanks for summarizing the saga for me, I have recited it so many times that it exhausts me. That was a very good concise summary of it. :lol:

Print it out and carry it around with you! When people ask you about it, just hand them a flyer. :)
Bonnie

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

GibsonGM wrote:1) Coming to the party late, without info. You need to ABATE the place? As in remove the lead paint from under any newer non-lead based paint? Why? Sorry, I am missing something apparently. If ABATE is what you need, you need to hire a licensed company to do it. If this is because someone has a health problem WRT lead paint, call a pro. DIY cannot result in 'lead free', no way. Not legally or morally.

2) you cannot do it yourself and get 'totally clean' results. In the effort - pulling old wood off, sanding, trying to 'clean up friction surfaces', you are removing and turning more LBP into harmful dust than 50 years of daily opening and closing of window friction surfaces. If you want to DIY and be TOTALLY CLEAN, get the proper training.

3) I'd close up the windows and prep them & casing as much as possible from outside if it were my house. 4mil plastic sheeting on the ground (10' in all directions) under them to catch dust/debris. Wear a lead paint 'paper respirator' & tyvek suit. NO power tools/power sanders! Damp-wipe when done prepping, let dry. Prime, paint, then reglaze the windows, all done. Roll the plastic, tape up (while still wearing respirator), dispose of. Sounds hard, isn't. Wash hands, take shower, don't eat til you do. Just what I would do...

If you have vinyl put in, the people that come do it will (90% bet here) not be certified and will cause more dust to enter your home than 100 yrs of friction surface wear. Including you if you DIY vinyl :) ALL window replacement or lead based paint disturbance in the USA must be done under the EPA RRP program, except if you are the home owner. 20 yrs, you can do it all over again when the vinyl degrades. Old houses have old windows, embrace the LBP ;)

Yeah I was asking for window specific advice because I am not a window expert. I actually have the lead abatement practices well under control.

1) I am the trained expert. And it IS legal and totally possible for home owners to to it themselves. Our city offers educational funding specifically for homeowners to learn how to DIY lead abatement, but I took the professional course.

2) Yes, I can do it myself because I sat through a very lengthy professional training course.

3) I know it is hard, because I have been performing lead abatement for quite some time now. I'm well versed in Lead Abatement safety practices.

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

awomanwithahammer wrote:
Corsetière wrote:

Print it out and carry it around with you! When people ask you about it, just hand them a flyer. :)

Not a bad idea! :lol:

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

heartwood wrote:living in a house with paint that contains lead or living next to a field
that is sprayed with round-up, i'd choose the paint...

until 1978, gasoline contained lead and the emission standards for vehicles weren't nearly as
stringent as they are now...we all breathed in lead fumes for decades and didn't drop like
flies...

use common sense when working around lead dust...make sure your mask or respirator is
rated as P100 or N100...most of the masks you find in hardware stores are rated P95 or N95...
you can use a spray bottle with water to dampen the surface prior to scraping to keep the
dust to a minimum...a HEPA vac is expensive...the filter will catch very small particles of
dust--and I mean very tiny...i'm not sure a shop vac with a filter and bag is all that much
less efficient and one can be purchased for less than $100... https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/4-gallon-wet-dry-vac

this scraper can be attached to a vac to minimize dust...the blade is super sharp and stays sharp and
can be sharpened... http://oldewindowrestorer.com/proscraper.html

I don't understand why the 'authorities' are demanding that you remove all the lead...the US
government knew that lead was an unhealthy element (just like vinyl, cadmium, mercury, etc) but allowed
it's use for many decades...now they want us to be responsible for the mess they allowed? call me a
cynic cause I am!

this doesn't need to be so difficult....
....jade

Oh, I 100% agree. The extra frustration of it is that all the houses surrounding me have it too and are not being held to task to abate it. My situation was just bad luck that it got investigated prior to me lining here. We have known since at least the 1700's that lead paint was toxic, it just was not profitable to stop using it. I feel like this lead abatement situation at my house is a microcosm of the environmental situation our planet is dealing with. My generation (and younger) are left holding the bag, having to clean up the mess.

I bought all the safety equipment after taking the course. My professional HEPA vac is very good thankfully and I vacuum as I work to keep it cleaned up. I'm in good shape! I just wasn't sure what the most expedient and wisest way to handle the windows was, but I think I have a plan now.

GibsonGM
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GibsonGM »

Willa wrote:
GibsonGM wrote:1) Coming to the party late, without info. You need to ABATE the place? As in remove the lead paint from under any newer non-lead based paint? Why? Sorry, I am missing something apparently. If ABATE is what you need, you need to hire a licensed company to do it. If this is because someone has a health problem WRT lead paint, call a pro. DIY cannot result in 'lead free', no way. Not legally or morally.

Dude, whoa !

You've missed the backstory here, about how Corsetiere was hounded by the city, who started posting "orders to vacate" notices on her front door - based on reports from several years prior about lead paint being detected in her house. Her house BEFORE it was her house, and in fact went through two separate owners, neither of whom disclosed the lead abatement order. When her house was a cruddy rooming house, there was allegedly a child living there, who tested positive for higher than average levels of lead. To further complicate things, the City of Columbus does not have any way for a prospective buyer to search the city records for something like a lead abatement order. There was a thread (now deleted) about how intrusive and downright abusive the city had been with regards to this, including sending social workers numerous times, who insisted there was a child at this address - despite Corsetiere having owned and occupied this address for a couple of years - childfree.

Corsetiere took an intensive course on lead abatement, and is certainly qualified to contend with this issue in a thorough and competent manner. She passed her first inspection for lead abatement in the property with flying colors, after she met the city's first deadline. This was after hundreds of hours of hard work and expenses.

Thanks, I do recall that! As I said - late to the party, ha ha. You (Corsetiere) got certified to do abatement, got set up, and are going to do it?? Wow! Cool. And when done, you will be able to say the property has been professionally ABATED, as in, there is now no lead present OR there is no hazard from lead paint in the premises, in accordance with EPA requirements, etc??

I was mostly just concerned about anyone reading thinking that 'abatement' is something trivially performed...in my line of work, if I even say that word I can literally go to prison. When I am done, lead paint is still present tho covered by MY paint, and can still pose a hazard.