Help from the craftsmen/craftswomen please.

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Re: Help from the craftsmen/craftswomen please.

Post by Willa »

Gothichome wrote:Ok folks. Another question, when using shellac as a sealer before I stain, should it be thinned with alcohol a bit so as not to create a thick surface covering?

Gothichome - I do remember reading about the use of shellac as a sealer prior to staining. A visit to one of the online wood working forums may help to answer your question. I think I came across this info when searching for comprehensive answers about shellac on floors.

You are using shellac from a can vs mixing your own from flakes ?

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Willa, I have a gallon of dewaxed clear ready made. My thoughts are that it may go down a bit to thick for a sealer strait out of the can.

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

I would contact the manufacturer to verify that it is okay to dilute, unless it says so on the can - just to be on the safe side ?

When I did the floors I mixed the denatured alcohol and shellac flakes, then left them to dissolve over several days in a sealed container only to discover what was supposed to be a three pound cut was more like a one pound cut as there was no way to agitate the flakes in my absense and many glommed together at the bottom. This was thinner than I hoped/wanted but the floors turned out okay ?

I used a can of premixed on cabinets and seem to recall that it was more syrupy but still thin, I think equivalent to a 3lb cut ? A vintage from the 50's household carpentry book mentions a 6lb cut of shellac for cabinets, etc. so you may be okay with the canned texture, as is ?

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Willa and all, did some on line research. Seems a 1/4 to 1/2 bound cut is the way to go.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

pre mixed shellac can be cut with DNA no problem
Mick...

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

the precipitate is normal. the wax settles. Just pour it off.
Shellac doesn't last forever but if you buy the flakes or cookies and the alcohol that will keep forever until you put the two together.