Tricky insulation bit...or not?

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
phil
Has many leather bound books

Re: Tricky insulation bit...or not?

Post by phil »

my advice, set a link to craigslist free and select your area. save the link so you can click it if you have time. Free insulation will pop up as people commonly just buy too much or if it's fiberglass they buy a whole bag and need only part of it.
I wouldn't play with used insulation but I have no qualms about recycling other peoples leftovers and in a space like that you probably can use up what you find be it roxul , fiberglass bats or rigid foam.
the trick is to find the new postings and reply right away. Including your number and a personal touch like why you want it helps too.. People like passing the stuff on and seeing it used. Insulation isn't great stuff to store in case you need it because it occupies a lot of space for it's value.
free stuff might even come in the form of office dividers,, You have some disassembly to get it but they are full of insulation and no one wants used ones. Just don't take them if they were outside because of mold. I recycled the square pipe from a bunch of them and made a rolling stand to fit rubbermaid storage bins. if you bring those home and strip them , someone will gladly take the metal for scrap and the rest is just the cloth which is easy to discard. Ofices change them just to stay "modern" and they have no used value.

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

phil wrote:my advice, set a link to craigslist free and select your area. save the link so you can click it if you have time. Free insulation will pop up as people commonly just buy too much or if it's fiberglass they buy a whole bag and need only part of it.
FWIW, When I open my browser, it's set to open on our local CL free page. A lot of the local CL ads tapered off in winter, as did responses to mine. So I think some folks don't use it as much because they don't want to deal with the weather related hassles and possible fall hazards moving stuff.

I recently started listing stuff again to try to sell a few things we don't need, but I hadn't thought of putting up a "wanted" ad for spare insulation. I should also check Freecycle. I haven't visited that site in a while, though it doesn't seem used much locally.

Regarding other bits free from CL, my garage is currently 3/4 full of "projects". I have to hold off until we have the funds/time to finish up whatever needs doing with what we already have waiting. Sean was a bit irked that neither of our cars was actually inside our one car garage this winter. I've promised to make sure that won't be the case next winter. ;-)
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

phil

Post by phil »

im in the same boat with my roof. the sandy bits are all washing into the gutters. no leaks yet but its getting to be a concern. I had a roofer give me a quote but haven't recieved it yet and I just know I can't afford it. I would like to strap the roof, put more insulation between the strapping, new plywood and then add a ridge vent. due to finances I may actually just try to build my own scaffold and start trying to lay new duride shingles overtop. most roofers say you can go up to 3 layers.. maybe not what I'd like to do but I have to keep the costs down .. so maybe I can only afford my own labor and to do half the roof this year, or something.. such is life. I'm not at all looking forward to going up there, I hate heights. it seems the flashing is a big part of the cost too.

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

phil wrote:...it seems the flashing is a big part of the cost too.
I think that's because each spot has to be fitted, tabbed, etc. So it's more the time aspect that bulks up the bill. Homes like ours that have twee dormers and such need the additional flashing--part of the trade off of the architectural interest.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

phil

Post by phil »

maybe I can make a post about roof flashings on old houses. also Ill watch as many Utube videos as I can. I know nothing about it to date and need to figure that out before I begin.