Old House Remodeling

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
BungalowMo
Been here a good while

Re: Old House Remodeling

Post by BungalowMo »

To add one more thing, while these books can certainly come in handy, your best resource is on these pages. The members of this website. The knowledge here is priceless.
~ Maureen
1916-ish Craftsman Bungalow

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

Don't fret that you've been there 3-ish years & not done much. It's better than the alternative of being there a short time & started on things better left alone.

Patience is a virtue when it comes to these old gals....[/quote]

well put Mo.. even the word "remodelling" is a bit scary to some of us, usually it refers to changing it further from original , otherwise it would be restoration ;-) I've always thought I was lucky because although my previous owners didn't do maintenance , at least they didn't do a real lot of destructive things, mostly just put more layers and left eh old layers there.. I have seen many homes in my area remodeled so much I can hardly tell the old ones from the new ones they build to look lke old houses. At least some are making the effort to build new houses in keeping with the neighborhood.

BungalowMo
Been here a good while

Post by BungalowMo »

I've been in my place 9 years at the end of May & I've painted 3 rooms!

I have restored several windows & gutted the 80's bath "update" & put in period appropriate tiles & sink, and have also been scraping my porch railings for a few seasons too. Takes time & arthritis in my shoulders certainly doesn't help! I still don't care how long it takes. It will get done eventually...and correctly.
~ Maureen
1916-ish Craftsman Bungalow