New/old storm windows?

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
TuckerTavern
Been here a good while

Re: New/old storm windows?

Post by TuckerTavern »

I just wanted to ask the experts here a question. How period appropriate are storm windows? I fully intend to install them here because we can't really afford not to, but are they even correct for old homes? When did they come into common usage?

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

TuckerTavern wrote:I just wanted to ask the experts here a question. How period appropriate are storm windows? I fully intend to install them here because we can't really afford not to, but are they even correct for old homes? When did they come into common usage?

I believe they are a C20th thing. I have yet to see them in local pictures taken before the 1920s. This is one of the reasons I went with interior storms - my house was built in 1865 and I want it to look no newer than it did in about 1910
Mick...

TuckerTavern
Been here a good while

Post by TuckerTavern »

I was afraid of that. I looked at the interior storms and I really like the idea and ease, but I'm not sure how I'd protect the west windows, they take a real beating.

BungalowMo
Been here a good while

Post by BungalowMo »

While it's not what I want permanently, a few years back I bought some cheap storms from Lowes for the 2 upstairs bedrooms. The East side had NO storms & the West had a crappy set that were truly falling apart. Had the upper & lower sashes taped together with Gaffers tape! The Lowes were $50 each & can at least allow me to work on those sash without a big hole in the wall! Lol!

Sometimes you can use a Band-Aid while you're awaiting surgery!
~ Maureen
1916-ish Craftsman Bungalow

JacquieJet
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by JacquieJet »

I'm just in the process of getting quotes from these lovely companies now. Thanks again for all the suggestions, everyone! So many options... whew!
1917-ish
Happy 100th birthday, house!!

Vala

Post by Vala »

I have the 1893 Mulliner's millwork catalog/book (reprint) it has storm windows listed for sale at the time, but it seems they did not become common place until around the 1940's, in fact more than 90% of storm windows I've come across in this area have flat glass (original) leading me to believe they were not common until after the 40's.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Tucker storms in Canada are pretty standard fare long before Gothichome was built (1880) do they go back as far a Georgen homes I have no idea but most diffinatly were available by 1850.