Caulk “glazing,” help!!!

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
Krista
Just Arrived

Re: Caulk “glazing,” help!!!

Post by Krista »

Thanks for the help!
It’s still no fun to remove. If you heat it up it’s like extra super sticky marshmallow fluff. There was more cursing last night.

mjt
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mjt »

I feel your pain. I had a similar experience with glass being caulked in place on a cabinet door. And more documentation here.

That's right, an interior cabinet door!

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

I once worked in a windows factory. they bought the silicone in drums and had a pump and other parts of the machine that we occasionally had to service. we used a solvent to clean it. Its tenacious stuff. , but it will dissolve in a strong solvent. It's not something you can find in a box store that caters to general public. you can try toluene and xylene if you can get it.

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

phil wrote:I once worked in a windows factory. they bought the silicone in drums and had a pump and other parts of the machine that we occasionally had to service. we used a solvent to clean it. Its tenacious stuff. , but it will dissolve in a strong solvent. It's not something you can find in a box store that caters to general public. you can try toluene and xylene if you can get it.

If you try either of those, be sure to have all the windows open or better yet, work outside!

GibsonGM
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GibsonGM »

1918ColonialRevival wrote:
If you try either of those, be sure to have all the windows open or better yet, work outside!

And wear an approved VOC respirator... :crazy:

KenN
Knows the back streets

Post by KenN »

I will be dealing with this also eventually. Two of the windows upstairs have plastic in them instead of glass and they were “caulked” with some kind of goop. For now I have worse windows to deal with.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

at least with the scraping you aren't dealing with solvents. I was surprised it can be dissolved because most chemicals dont really affect it other than to turn it to sort of a goo.