friendly reminder about linseed oil fires.

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
phil
Has many leather bound books

friendly reminder about linseed oil fires.

Post by phil »

I know we are all aware of this, but just because we all speak about using linseed oil and blopentine I thought it wouldn't hurt for us to have a casual reminder.
this is an example of what happens when people start using linseed oil and are not savvy about how easily it happens.

I remember working in a printshop where we got very close. the metal rag can was full so someone started using a cardboard box. we caught it at the stage where it was full of embers, ready to go into full flame. ink and solvent soaked rags. This happens so easily usually because people forget or aren't aware of the risk.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.5161775

Gothichome

Re: friendly reminder about linseed oil fires.

Post by Gothichome »

:thumbup:

GinaC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GinaC »

Okay, this has scared the bejeezus out of me because I will hopefully be starting my window restoration soon.

What is the proper way to store blopentine, and how do I deal with the rags, etc. associated with its use?
1939 Minimal Traditional

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Store blopentine in a bottle. Throw the used rags in a bucket of water, and/or spread or hang them out to dry before disposing..

PaulJohnson
Knows the back streets

Post by PaulJohnson »

From the article:

Fire crews recommend laying linseed oil rags flat on a non-flammable surface, like a concrete driveway, on their own and away from the house as they dry. Rags and other applicators like paint brushes should be stored in a non-combustible container with a tight lid — also on a non-flammable surface.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

I have a metal feed bucket with a lockable metal lid I half fill it with water and throw them in there - make sure they are all soaked when done, and I then store the bucket outside with the lid locked on until I can take them to the dump. I have also used one of the home depot 5 gal paint buckets with snap on lids in the same way. If you fill the thing with water it cuts the oxyxgen from the rags and they cannot combust.
Mick...

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

each bench in my shop has a used one gallon paint can half full (not half empty!) with water...
there is a paint stick next to each can...deposit rags/papertowel, use stick to submerge rag and
cover....
spreading out rags to dry used to keep me up at night...

good topic phil!

...jade

GibsonGM
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GibsonGM »

I throw them outside, spread open flat. Literally out the door, or I won't sleep. After at least 1 rain storm, or a soaking w/the hose, they can go in my metal trash can. The trash can is also outside - it's where I keep my wood stove ashes before there is snow on the ground.