Sash removal (1940s cape cod)

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
dmilo
Just Arrived

Sash removal (1940s cape cod)

Post by dmilo »

First-time poster, long-time lurker :wave: I really enjoy this friendly forum.

I have a sash-removal problem.
It's taken 4 years but I've finally mustered the courage to start restoring the windows on my 1949 cape cod. The problem is that I can't figure out how to remove the sashes. I've looked all over online and can't seem to find anything similar enough to help.

The right-side jambs have expanders.
1712 1710
They're made of what looks like hard-board with zinc track/weatherstripping stapled on. Sash springs hold them in place against the sashes.

I assumed I'd be able to compress the expanders enough to remove one side of the sash from the track/weatherstripping, but I can't. Fully compressed I still have about 1/4" before the opposite groove (left side) would be freed from the track/weatherstrip.

There's no parting bead to remove, and there don't seem to be any secret nails or levers along the weatherstripping. I'd really like to remove them without tearing out the jambs. :think:

Any suggestions?

GinaC
Forgotten more than most know

Re: Sash removal (1940s cape cod)

Post by GinaC »

I found this video series to be very helpful. Here is part 1 of 5:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUSGILSfzwE

Disclaimer: I haven't started on my windows yet!
1939 Minimal Traditional

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

hello dmilo and thanks for coming out of hiding to join us!

I have not come across a similar system...are the liners full length--from the header to the sill? I wonder if the top and bottom are held in place at the top and bottom by a kerf in the jamb...can you slide the whole liner up or down?
I see a nail in one of the photos, not sure if removing it will be helpful...

sorry I can't be more helpful....
.....jade

dmilo
Just Arrived

Post by dmilo »

Thanks for the responses!

heartwood wrote:are the liners full length--from the header to the sill? I wonder if the top and bottom are held in place at the top and bottom by a kerf in the jamb...can you slide the whole liner up or down?

The liners extend from the sill to a parting stop that runs horizontally across the top of the frame (I didn't notice it until now) which prevents me from moving them up or down. Otherwise, they appear to be floating. I think I may remove that top stop to see if there's anything hidden under there. If that doesn't work, I think I can probably remove the fasteners from the static (left) jamb and get the sashes out. At this point, I'm more concerned about getting the windows back in.