100% wood windows Who makes them?

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
heartwood

Re: 100% wood windows Who makes them?

Post by heartwood »

what is the reason given for not being able to match your profiles exactly tucker? if new knives are to be made, the price would increase but you'd get what you want...regardless of the good price, 900 bucks is 900 bucks...
hope you're able to get what you're looking for...
...jade

TuckerTavern
Been here a good while

Post by TuckerTavern »

The guy kind of acted like that would be an imposition. He said they mill windows with their standard profile, I have no idea how different that is from what we have here. Dave Bowers matched our profile, it was one that he didn't already have the knives for.

Vala

Post by Vala »

As far as I know the problem with thinner muntins is the newer wood isn't as sturdy as the old wood so there's more chance of breakage if they go thinner. I went with the standard sash profile as it was close enough to our sash profile.

Also while they are a custom shop, there is a "way" they tend to make sashes. Depending on where you live, some sashes have the sash profile on all 4 sides of the bottom sash, Hoffmeyer by default puts the profile on 3 of the 4 sides of the bottom sash (and on 3 sides on the top sash since for the sash lock the rail has to be flat) they also do a 4" bottom rail by default, if you want different you have to ask for it. I got 3" bottom rails as well as the sash profile on all 4 sides of the bottom sash. I also ordered mine in Mahogany instead of pine as I want them to last - when buying 35 windows one must think ahead.

TuckerTavern
Been here a good while

Post by TuckerTavern »

Our upper and lower sashes are absolutely identical/interchangeable. Profiles on all 4 sides of both. Hoffmeyer questioned that as did our other sash maker, but yes indeed, every window here is like that. Go figure. FWIW there never were any locks or hardware on our windows at all.

Vala

Post by Vala »

TuckerTavern wrote:Our upper and lower sashes are absolutely identical/interchangeable. Profiles on all 4 sides of both. Hoffmeyer questioned that as did our other sash maker, but yes indeed, every window here is like that. Go figure. FWIW there never were any locks or hardware on our windows at all.

Profile on all 4 sides on both sashes is unusual. I've only seen that a few times. I had them make mine with profile on all 4 sides on the bottom sashes to be true to the originals and to match.

TuckerTavern
Been here a good while

Post by TuckerTavern »

Vala, yeah I know it's unusual. Either it's a rural Tennessee thing, or just a thing with whoever originally made these windows. I've stopped questioning the mindset that went into building this house. :)

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

are you referring the meeting rail of the top sash has a profile rather than a flat surface? I typically see that on early 19th or 18th century sash that are approximately 1" thick and have no rope/pulley balance system...they were never mean to have locking hardware at the meeting rail...

a good sash maker should be able to make exactly what you want rather than use stock profiles and configurations...tucker, would you mind PM'ing me the sash maker's name and location? what part of the country do you live? I could send you names of other sash makers...

...jade

Vala

Post by Vala »

I saw a little 1880s brick house with the profile on all 4 sides of both sashes (6 over 6) (yes the meeting rail) and it had no sash cord or pulleys, the top sash was resting on nails.

TuckerTavern
Been here a good while

Post by TuckerTavern »

heartwood wrote:are you referring the meeting rail of the top sash has a profile rather than a flat surface? I typically see that on early 19th or 18th century sash that are approximately 1" thick and have no rope/pulley balance system...they were never mean to have locking hardware at the meeting rail...

a good sash maker should be able to make exactly what you want rather than use stock profiles and configurations...tucker, would you mind PM'ing me the sash maker's name and location? what part of the country do you live? I could send you names of other sash makers...

...jade

I think we're talking about the same thing. Dave Bowers too thought they seemed like earlier sashes than they actually are, but this is East Tennessee and things hang on longer than in the north. They are 1" thick or thereabouts, never had hardware or a pulley system, and the muntins are narrow with a tiny little edge to put the putty on. Some still have the original wavy glass.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

yea, those dang narrow muntins are a challenge to glaze! I sent you a PM...