How to Strip Paint from Metal

A great place to find technical reference material, information and "how to" articles
Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

How to Strip Paint from Metal

Post by Corsetière »

I made another quick video! Great for door knobs, clawfeet, chandelier and lamp parts....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOvRdgbb2YE

Vala

Re: How to Strip Paint from Metal

Post by Vala »

Thanks for sharing this on here. However, I've been using a similar method for years. I don't have a crockpot so I found an alternative if you don't have one, I boil the hardware in a normal pot and use baking soda. For some reason it works better than dish soap, at least in the normal pot boiling method.

1918ColonialRevival

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

Both methods work well. I believe the reason a lot of people use the crock pot method is so it can sit overnight and the next day it's usually ready to brush. With a boiling pot, you wouldn't really want to leave it unattended for an extended period of time. Baking soda or liquid soap work well as an additive - it all comes down to preference and what you have on hand at the time.

For larger pieces that won't fit into a pot, I've found a product that Rust-Oleum makes called Aircraft Remover that works pretty well to get slopped-on paint off of metal. It can be a little difficult to find, but I've used it on several torchiere lamp bases and chandelier pans with good results.

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Yeah, I mention in the video that you can use a stock pot on the stove for larger items. I had to do that with the tub's clawfeet because my crockpot was too small for them. It just takes more effort to keep the temperature steady and you can kind of over boil things if you're forgetful like me. lol!

Greenwood
Knows the area

Post by Greenwood »

What a funny and helpful video. Your personality comes through! I laughed at the Hogwarts reference. Love it!

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Great video, I would only add that:

1. In my experience you can leave stuff overnight with little fear of detrimental effects, it really gets under the alkyd paint that way.

2. Often this process removes a base layer of original laquer used for corrosion prevention / protection. Paste wax is a fair substitute but there are some really great automotive restoration products that can be used to replace the laquer (some of which are pretty much invisible to the eye). I get mine from Eastwood. You can also use a coat or two of shellac for the same
Mick...

Vala

Post by Vala »

Mick_VT wrote:2. Often this process removes a base layer of original laquer used for corrosion prevention / protection. Paste wax is a fair substitute but there are some really great automotive restoration products that can be used to replace the laquer (some of which are pretty much invisible to the eye). I get mine from Eastwood. You can also use a coat or two of shellac for the same

Right... I've had that same experience. I always use a spray lacquer either clear or black depending on what the item looks like after it comes out.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

a lot of hardware isn't painted originally but plated or blackened, this produces a different finish than paint.

for stripping little parts I just dunk them in a plastic bin with either stripper or lacquer thinners. and leave them a while. Not that the boiling method is a bad idea, maybe its better environmentally I'm not sure how well it will work on tough paints like enamel.

I think if you are doing lots or if you are fussy about your hardware, One might look into products such as this.. You can achieve a blackened finish or arrive at different kinds of patina and it doesn't have the thickness of paint or scratch easily. but of course paint is quick and easy and nothing wrong with spraying clear over.. Its just another option. I would advise against using metal tools , metal brushes ( even brass) if plastic and wood will do, they won't scratch the original plating as easily. i usually do what I can with a paintbrush after a soak in stripper.

often machine parts and things have a black finish, even nuts and bolts and stuff. it isn't paint but a chemical process to color the metal. If you plate a nut the paint gets in the threads, but if you choose a blackening it doesn't have thickness like paint so in some cases it is a nice option. Most can be reproduced without special equipment.
this site has some videos. Just an example.

https://surfinchemical.com/products/ez-black-70

this one might look nice on doorknobs and things.. it seems the pricing is kind of reasonable.
https://surfinchemical.com/collections/ ... -patina-cb

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Good points, everyone!

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Greenwood wrote:What a funny and helpful video. Your personality comes through! I laughed at the Hogwarts reference. Love it!

Ha ha! Thanks, Greenwood! I have to entertain myself somehow!