Taking the Rubio Monocoat floor finish plunge

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
O2Annie
Settling in

Re: Taking the Rubio Monocoat floor finish plunge

Post by O2Annie »

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NueLD26hrwpAQGKp2

I am going to take a test run on posting a link to the photos. No idea if this will work but worth a try...

For some reason my home PC will not allow me to download my pictures from google; and when I am perusing the forum on my phone I can't figure out how to post a picture directly... So please let me know if you can access the link above.

Regarding the speedy job; there were very few nails to cover and we did not putty the wide gaps. With 2 young 20-something men working the sanders together that part was done in 2 days. The spouse and I were able to work together on the finish and once we got the hang of it that went on very quickly. To quote my husband "that was almost too easy"; now mind you, I am the DIY'er and he is very much the muscle man ;-) to give an idea of how "do-able" the Rubio really is.

O2Annie
Settling in

Post by O2Annie »

I think the link worked so here we go again:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/cDX3XGzm1yi5EnRk1

Hopefully this will take you to some before, during and "after" shots; the after is still in process since we do have about 100 square feet left to finish...

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

Well it looks like a massive improvement and it looks like the floor was laid in such a way that you could set the nails and sand without hitting too many so that helped. I dont; think you made a bad decision not filling every crack on that floor. it's looking just fine like that.

The floor I'm working on is different in the way it has the nails in the T and G and since it was thin I had so many holes to fix. thousands.. so it's taking forever.

I like how the outlets are positioned high enough not to affect the baseboards if or when you add them. I did all mine like that. originally my house had them down in the baseboards. Im patching thebaseboards and moving them above as I go ecause I also added more outlets per room. . Your room looks so open and nice. My attic was divided into two rooms with closets dividing the space between. I went with the plan and re-drywalled, they had beaverboard and paneling which wasn't nice at all. If I did it again I would leave it open more like yours. . My neighbor just put a toilet and tub with only a low (pony)wall to hide it from the bedroom. That made sense to me, I guess some want the privacy but if it is the bedroom for a couple who cares if you see each other.. I think that was a nicer option to walls which block the limited light from both ends. I have a funny U shaped room because of the headroom needed for the staircase, and a bedroom which is a decent size. I dont' have water up there. I had planned on using it to do electronics bench work as the light and space and view of the yard seemed like a nice place to sit. it could become the laundry room perhaps. my house as a wall that is part of the framing that is about 4 feet tall on either side so i made 4 doors and put a plywood floor in there so I can store a lot of long stuff. When I bought it this was dead space. a lot of these attics weren't designed as living space so there are some challenges to make them comfortable.