Curtain Question

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
Sow's Ear Mal
Stalwart

Curtain Question

Post by Sow's Ear Mal »

Hey all. Happy Spring! I'm looking for advice as to where to place a curtain rod on this bedroom window; within the trim, (but not deep inside the window), or extending past the trim...? Or higher on the trim? Sheer white curtains, btw. And clips, or tab tops? Black rod or white...? Thanks for any opinions. Cheers, Mal
20170406_135540.jpg
20170406_135540.jpg (615.76 KiB) Viewed 734 times

Mick_VT

Re: Curtain Question

Post by Mick_VT »

With that one I would go for a cafe rod and curtains inside the opening - it will show off the trim nicely
Mick...

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

Yes, white rod and white rod hanger things, if possible, inside the opening. I like the rings with spring clips on them as it makes it easy to use vintage tablecloths, etc. for curtains without sewing. It's also super easy to change to different curtains. The best width for curtains is three times the opening size I think ? Like if your opening is 30" this would equal two 45" wide curtains or a single 90" panel. The length would be at your discretion - if it just hit the bottom of the trim or went down to the floor = equally fine.

Sara
Been here a while

Post by Sara »

I'm going to go rogue and say black rod - on the trim. I would actually think about putting them about 3 or 4 inches higher than the trim. As long as you could mount them on that wall - is it plaster?

With long billowy sheers that would look great.

Personal preference though.

Sara
Been here a while

Post by Sara »

Is this an optical illusion or is the window smaller than the trim for it - it looks like it narrows into the window. If that's the case, not sure I would put bistro curtains in there.

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Sara wrote:Is this an optical illusion or is the window smaller than the trim for it - it looks like it narrows into the window. If that's the case, not sure I would put bistro curtains in there.
If I recall correctly from her other posts, their house is made out of actual stone, so the depth you see is due to that, and maybe it was easier to just wall as the stones were laid, and smaller windows might have been the best solution for the home owner at that time, yet the larger interior opening allowed more light as well as a place to put things. Just a guess.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Mal, have you considered an internal shutter. Could be one large or two smaller. When open they would fancy up the deep sides. Paint them trim colour on the outside facing and the inside can be stencilled with a period theme.

Sow's Ear Mal
Stalwart

Post by Sow's Ear Mal »

Thanks all, for the comments and suggestions. The actual window is quite small compared to the flared opening. I like the suggestion of an interior shutter, but I don't want to restrict the space or light. It's high enough and shielded by branches that I don't worry about distant neighbours seeing anything shocking, lol. I just wanted to soften the edges with some billowy cotton shears. I think my vote would be black rod, on the trim. It'll look nice, for the five minutes before the cats pluck them full of thread pulls.... Cheers, ML

Powermuffin
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Powermuffin »

I just couldn't see putting more holes in my restored trim so I used nice spring loaded rods and hung the curtains inside the trim. Looks nice and works great.
Diane

ZoraQ
Settling in

Post by ZoraQ »

I installed my curtains as shown in Sow's sketch. I stripped and restored the trim including replacing the cap molding that was removed. The previous owners had some hideous 70's drapes and they removed the cap molding to install them. I didn't want to install the brackets on the new trim so the drill holes went into the plaster for the new brackets.

I used some black wrought iron brackets and rods with wrought iron rings sewn onto the linen panels.