Staining putty?

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
Sinoed
Knows the area

Staining putty?

Post by Sinoed »

Maybe an odd question but can you stain window glazing putty like Dap? I actually planned on staining my refinished frames the beautiful original red color they were and was just thinking about how I'll end up with white putty! :roll: I wouldn't be painting over the putty like a traditional application so it would look strange..

Mick_VT

Re: Staining putty?

Post by Mick_VT »

I know Jade has mentioned adding pigments to Sarco in order that it doesnt look white from the inside (sashes were stained dark on the inside), in the past. I am not sure what she uses though.
Mick...

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

good thinking! yes, indeed, you can stain the putty...you may need to combine a couple of colors...there are liquid colorings but the dry stuff is messy enough...we keep adding a bit at a time to the putty to get the right color...if you add a good amount, you may want to add a bit of boiled linseed oil to make sure the putty is not too dry...most art stores carry this product: http://www.dickblick.com/products/gambl ... -pigments/
we only color the bedding putty...hold the finish putty back from the interior sight line so you won't see the exterior putty/paint...
good luck!
...jade

Vala

Post by Vala »

I've seen stained putty. I assumed they just ran the strain brush over the putty. I guess maybe I was wrong.

stained putty.jpg
stained putty.jpg (215.2 KiB) Viewed 5416 times

stained putty 2.jpg
stained putty 2.jpg (294.77 KiB) Viewed 5416 times

Sinoed
Knows the area

Post by Sinoed »

Thanks guys! :thumbup: I had to go to couple art stores before I found one that carried dry pigments (and in limited colours) but I did get red and dark brown. I also picked up some oil based paints in reds, Browns and black in case I needed a bit extra on the color side of things. Grabbed a small bottle of linseed oil too in case I need to thin it out a bit. I'm going to experiment with it tomorrow so hopefully my supplies work out ok and I can get a close color match.

Thanks for the photos Vala - those are really helpful since I'm going to be trying something similar and have never actually seen it before. I refinished the porch handrail by staining (which looks gorgeous) so I'm going to (slowly) continue the theme. :P

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

with all the thousands of sash I have restored, I only had one project where the exterior was stained...the folks at sarco suggest that the putty does not take stain well ESPECIALLY penetrating stain...penetrating stain is meant to go deeper into the fibers of the wood and it will make a mess of putty...if you choose to stain over the putty, you will need to give it considerable time to skin over (DAP could mean 60 days or more) AND use a stain like GENERAL FINISHES gel coat which sits on the surface not unlike paint...once the stain has set up, apply several coats of clear finish rated for exterior...

funny, one of the projects I'm working on currently has two sets of entry doors and sidelight that are stained inside and out...the stain has held up much better on the wood than on the putty....

....jade

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

I use this stuff to alter the shades of my wood putty colors. since color varies greatly I like to mix a few colors of putty close to what I need and i keep them in big syringes to dispense. i keep the syringe in a ziplock with wet paper towel and never have chunks to deal with... the reds pigment especially needs to be blended thoroughly so I put it on a piece of glass and work it with a putty knife until it's consistent.

I don't' see any reason why it couldn't be added to sarco. It might be worth trying? good idea!

http://www.mohawk-finishing.com/mhk_cds ... lor%29.pdf

http://www.mohawk-finishing.com/catalog ... ictnbr=282

you probably just need a few colors but if for any reason you wanted more they do have a more extensive kit here too :
http://www.mohawk-finishing.com/catalog ... ictNbr=722

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Can you add oil-based paint to the bedding putty to stain it?

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

never tried it and I would be hesitant...is there a reason you wouldn't got with a pigment to color it?

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

I just spoke to Jim at Sarco and he told me it would be OK. I'm not trying to match the frame, just tone down the putty a little so it won't be conspicuous. For future reference, where can one get the powdered pigment? I checked where I bought the glass and the local paint store but they didn't have any.