Um...bedroom sconces??

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
eclecticcottage
Forgotten more than most know

Um...bedroom sconces??

Post by eclecticcottage »

So I realized (duh) I have sconces. One sconce per room. No overhead lights. I'm stuck with what is going to look good just kind of stuck on the walls

This one is ok

This one is weird

Akward

eclecticcottage

Re: Um...bedroom sconces??

So most sconces are made for bathrooms and porches now.

Thoughts on this one? Not really period, but pretty

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

I can't tell the scale on that one compared to what you have. In our bedroom here at the apartment, we have a lower sconce that looks to be the perfect height over a vanity (which I have mine new old one there) or sewing table.

I wonder if the Weird one is only weird because it's a MCM style paired with what appears to be older paper that's not similar in look at all. I've had sconces like that, and usually there is a ball joint where you can rotate the direction easily. The Awkward one really should be turned downwards, in my opinion. (It actually looks close in floral theme to the one we have in the bedroom, which does point down.) Dust alone is reason enough. I know some folks like to use that type as an upsplash of light, but at that height, it's best as a desk or vanity lamp pointing down.

This reminded me of an ad I saw of older globes and glass shades for sale that were taken out of a local gut job. I should look into that. There might even be one that works for the "all right" sconce you have. Where is that ad...ah fiddle, it says they're all ceiling style, though there is that one upright shadeless lamp picture in the bunch for some reason. So perhaps there are some sconce as well? Shade Ad
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

JRC

Post by JRC »

All four bedrooms in my house have sconces. I think they were added in the late 20s or early 30s, because--as you'll see--some are kind of art deco.
The first two--the most deco ones--are almost the same, just different colors: (I should take new photos of them, because, after washing them, and removing years of dirt/smoke, they are completely different colors, now)

I took this photo on the initial walkthrough, so you also get an idea of how much junk there was:

That last one also somewhat matches the sconce in the hallway:

Sconces were more common in the past, and--I believe--considered an upgrade over a single ceiling light. They were task lights, just as Lily describes. One put their vanity/mirror/wash basin/writing desk next to them.

eclecticcottage

Thanks again. I think I am going to say that a lot in the coming months. My issue is that I have to balance budget, availablity and average taste in decor. Wall sconces in bedrooms are not really a common thing, while overhead lights are. Looking at new fixtures, they are basically made for bathrooms and porches, so it's kind of hard to find ones that would look appropriate.

I actually love the candle looking ones for myself, but I'm not sure really how they would look. I love this, but it isn't quite in keeping with the style...plus they are $50 a piece.

This is ok but it reminds me of a bathroom light

This might work in one or two rooms if I painted it because the "faux" distressing is...distressing

I am trying to keep the lighting "matchy-matchy" so the rooms flow-I'll paint each one a different color so it's not too monotone though.

On the upside I went and looked at cabinets last night and am pretty settled on a nice set of white shakers with the all important soft close feature (which is weird to me but I've actually been in opens where people are ooing and ahhing over it-whatever). They are plywood boxes with carbon fiber doors (weird, but ok-they felt solid). We had them do up a "picture" for us and it's a nice kitchen. Not what I would do if I was living there (it would be a showdown with DH, I've always wanted an unfitted kitchen and he doesn't like that at all)-but it is classic, clean, and doesn't seem like it would be too odd across from the original built ins. All in all, a good compromise for a vintage home that didn't have the cabinet space modern buyers are looking for (and it doesn't have a pantry so I feel like I need to add uppers).

JRC

Post by JRC »

Personally, I think the 2nd example, the one you think looks like a bathroom light, would work fine in the bedrooms. This is probably one of the reasons why Nicole Curtis likes to stage with antiques. She'd put antique vanities/dressers with mirrors near these fixtures, to demonstrate to potential buyers that's what they were for.

Of the 3 that are already there, I think the first one might already be OK. The 3rd one could be OK, (I can't really see it well enough) but I hate cheap polished brass, so I'd have to paint it, at least, even if the design was OK. But, if you want them all to match, then you'll have to replace at least two of them.

eclecticcottage

OMG I can't STAND brass. UGH. The sad thing is, "rubbed oil bronze" will be the new 80's era brass one day. And I am putting it in anyway-because EVERYTHING is rubbed oil bronze now. At least the faucets, etc won't be-the tub has it's original chrome (except the curtain rod which is, um...pvc-that will be fixed though).

If I had a barn or room to store furniture (my house, The Cottage, is maybe 750 sq ft with no basement) I would do that in a heart beat. As it is, I take over the shed on a regular basis with old doors, etc I grab from the curb (then resell when the tractor can't fit lol). Two of my furniture pieces are both from "curb shopping"-beautiful old antiques (they could use a refinish but the "distressed" look works in a cottage).

I am coming around to being ok with the second one. It's a bath sconce, but it is basic and not too overwhelming style wise. It would work with the colors and the rest of the house. I'll have to see how it works size wise. It's also the least expensive :D

lovesickest

Post by lovesickest »

Our house had sconces only in two of the bedrooms. My ex worked with the electrician and fished lines to have proper ceiling lights. The repairs to the plaster where the sconces were was minimal and I don't think it was a big job.

You might consider this v.s. searching for sconces. Future buyers might find the sconces off putting or odd - just as you do ?

eclecticcottage

lovesickest wrote:Our house had sconces only in two of the bedrooms. My ex worked with the electrician and fished lines to have proper ceiling lights. The repairs to the plaster where the sconces were was minimal and I don't think it was a big job.

You might consider this v.s. searching for sconces. Future buyers might find the sconces off putting or odd - just as you do ?

This is exactly what I spoke to DH about after pondering all of the sconce options and looks. We already have plaster repair on the to do list so what's a little more :P

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

I thought rubbed oil bronze was an early aughts thing, and now they're moving to nickel again? I honestly can't keep up with how fast the trends change. There are books to read about how it used to be done, gosh darnit! Why do I want to spend so much time with each season's change? (It's not even each year anymore. *sighs*)
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.