Our long lost people - Old house web

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
raine
Settling in

Our long lost people - Old house web

Post by raine »

I have a lot of memories from people that shared their old house life on the old house web.
Just today I was able to remember the McGill clubhouse in McGill , nv. You can still access themcgillclubhouse blog but no new posting since it was started I think. I remember it was one women and a couple dogs taking on the monumental task of restoration.

Neighmond

Re: Our long lost people - Old house web

Post by Neighmond »

I recall her! Remember Schag and Greg and the lady with that giant ex-hospital house Alaska something. Alice with the NY apartment and Holmes, who started the place.

eclecticcottage
Forgotten more than most know

Post by eclecticcottage »

I wandered over as well. I had a different screen name in the beginning, when we lived in what I called The Old House, but for the life of me I can't remember it. I remember talking to Don M about bank barns at one point, and OHW is where I learned the term "vernacular". I reregistered as eclecticcottage after we bought The Cottage but haven't been very active there with a lot of the renos done on the place.

cat2014
Knows the area

Post by cat2014 »

There are a few people I remember as well...Mary, who loved haunted houses, the one guy, who lived in Baltimore, I believe, in a huge brownstone that was actually haunted; (wish I could remember names) - the couple who had an old house but it burned - they rebuilt a replica; I think Sue who was on the Board in Detroit, mabe a town nearby - she had a really nice Victorian. Can't log on at OLW since I don't remember my sign on name. That's so long ago.
You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one......John Lennon

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

Drew in Baltimore had the houdoo house. It was on chapel hill as I recall.

Deb
Knows the back streets

Post by Deb »

I've always wondered what happened to Drew. I know he decided not to write about his experiences in the house anymore, and understood his reasons, but I would have loved to have seen the "finished product". (And to be honest, to hear if he had any more experiences!)

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

abuela....
and yes, sue from Michigan
and someone who's moniker I forget, she was quite feisty and fun...
....jade

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

Lavender! Remember once some one went off on a tear and raised hell and all she said was "Of dear....it looks like someone's gone and thrown all their toys from the pram"!

Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Texas_Ranger »

Oh yes, Lavender Bush! Isn't she Civil War Seamstress now?
I think Schag still made the move to Wavyglass but isn't here. Then of course there was Jeepnstein, his posts often made me laugh so hard!

I just went down Memory Lane, sorted the member directory by join date and am now browsing through the oldest users.

Here's Jack Willard:
http://members.oldhouseweb.com/jack_willard/Index.html

Dave of the Ocean Manor House rings a bell too but the web site is no longer online. I think he invented or popularised the homebrew SPR.

Sacto Diane
http://ayers.smugmug.com/

jtgvle
http://www.albiondunnhouse.com/

Here's Drew's old web page:
http://home.earthlink.net/~cathedralhill/id3.html

Abuela:
http://retrovation.blogspot.co.at/

Actually I'm on page 462 of 466, didn't realise the forums were so new when I joined! I faintly seem to remember something about everything crashing and having to re-register though. And I'm definitely shocked how many obvious spam users there were already in the first two years! And in that list I'm only counting those with links to adult sites and other highly suspicious stuff!

Wasn't it Brianm whose farmhouse burnt down and they built an exact replica?

Also remember manteroconsulting... and Patchules! Oh yeah and cdnikoloff!

Anyone know what happened to Tujo? I remember he had to move and then started another renovation but that's about it.

Gonna call it a day now or this post would get ten pages long!

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

wow, thanks texas! you have a better memory than I....