Ghost Posts.... Your Spooky Tales Wanted

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
phil
Has many leather bound books

Re: Ghost Posts.... Your Spooky Tales Wanted

Post by phil »

Thank You Wackyshack that was a very kind thing to say.
Phil

mjt
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mjt »

Sow's Ear Mal
Stalwart

Post by Sow's Ear Mal »

Here was a bit of weirdness when I accidentally uncovered a grave stone in our side yard.....woooooooooooooooo
charlotte's ectoplasm--wooo000ooo.....JPG
charlotte's ectoplasm--wooo000ooo.....JPG (474.87 KiB) Viewed 297 times

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

Sow's Ear Mal wrote:Here was a bit of weirdness when I accidentally uncovered a grave stone in our side yard.....woooooooooooooooo charlotte's ectoplasm--wooo000ooo.....JPG

Can you read the inscription on the stone ?

I read a local compendium of ghost stories and there was an account of a person who found a "strange flat stone" buried in the dirt in their yard. The stone was used to stabilize the BBQ after it was found, then all kinds of strange noises and bad feelings started happening in the house. Some research was done, it was discovered that the flat stone was a headstone. It was removed from the BBQ duty and reburied close to where it was found. All strangeness ceased from then on.

(No stories related to my location in the book, though.)

TuckerTavern
Been here a good while

Post by TuckerTavern »

The kitchen and dining room of our house were built in 1820, a log cabin was added (or moved here) in 1840 and then the most recent addition dates to 1860/70. During the 1850 & 60s a family lived here who owned slaves. Mr. Thornburgh was a pro slavery Unionist who was the district attorney. He along with other community leaders were rounded up after the East Tennessee bridge burnings and he was taken to a Confederate run POW camp in GA where he died. His widow lived on here, she apparently had enough saved or invested elsewhere that she wasn't bankrupted as so many were. All that being said, one might think that if anyplace should be haunted it's here. The only odd thing that has ever happened is that sometimes at night, *only* in my bedroom which is in the log cabin part, you can smell bread toasting. If you step out of my room into the living room which is also in the cabin, you can't smell it anymore. I know that's kind of a non-story, but it's unnerving to smell that and not be able to trace it.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

I guess it's probably an old wives tale but isn't smelling burnt toast is sometimes said to be a sign of a heart attack? if the ghosts dont' scare you.... But it's probably a fallacy anyway..

TuckerTavern
Been here a good while

Post by TuckerTavern »

No, nothing about this house scares me. Despite its unkempt, derelict appearance it has always felt welcoming since the first day we walked through it.