embossed plaster walls

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
oaktree
Forgotten more than most know

embossed plaster walls

Post by oaktree »

I went to check out this 1840 Greek Revival farmhouse because I was very curious and also thought my parents might want to buy it.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/15600 ... 1297_zpid/

It needs tons of work, but I loved it...so much original detail and the original cupboards in the kitchen and dining room were awesome. One of the things that really stood out to me was that they had designs embossed in the plaster walls in the kitchen:

I've never seen that before, but it was very subtle and nice.
1862 Greek Revival Farmhouse, Michigan

Wackyshack

Re: embossed plaster walls

Post by Wackyshack »

The Proctor Mansion (built 1860) has fancy plaster walls but next to that house (it is a B&B) this is the only other time I have seen it done... Just for your viewing pleasure the rust is in the dining room and the soft yellow is the back hall near the kitchen

back hall Proctor Mansion,  Wrentham MA
back hall Proctor Mansion, Wrentham MA
Screen Shot 2016-10-18 at 7.47.46 AM.png (863.35 KiB) Viewed 817 times
dining room Proctor Mansion, Wrentham MA
dining room Proctor Mansion, Wrentham MA
Screen Shot 2016-10-18 at 7.47.32 AM.png (908.12 KiB) Viewed 817 times
If everything is coming your way..... You're in the WRONG lane!!!

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

oaktree, it looks like that is a carry over of the floral painted floor in that room. Lovely understated details. And can I say WOW what a nifty chair/loveseat in #12. I'm not sure from the photo.

Wackyshack, I wonder if that wall embossing above the mantel is linoleum mold pressed or actually hand sculpted. I would have through it was wallpaper, as it looks that good.

Nice finds.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Corsetière »

This feature was in the Jones mansion on E. broad st here in Columbus, Oh too! I'll see if I can find my photos of the plaster to share!

Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Corsetière »

Here's the photo of the plaster embellishment in the hall of the Jones Mansion: Image

Wackyshack

Post by Wackyshack »

Lilly, the owner who gave a tour did say it was plaster work, but it is possible there was a mixed medium used in the house. We were in the hall when she mentioned it. I have never been in such a high end house that held so many original details. The casements around the door were so wide and thick it was mind boggling. I bet you are on to something and the walls could be Lincrusta. That would be exciting. I should start another thread showing off that house, we took some good photos during the tour. She showed us the whole house. We were there for a Civil War living history and she knew we appreciated every inch of that wonderful house.
If everything is coming your way..... You're in the WRONG lane!!!

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Lincrusta is one of my all time favorite old house related words. I've seen some and it's just so neat. I love texture and depth. It boggles my mind the craft that went into making that manufactured good. Can you imagine how big those rollers must have been for the embossing of a full height fancy wall?!?

I think it would be great to see a thread featuring that home.

It's always fun talking to folks who share the appreciation (and sometimes knowledge too) for such things.

That reminds me. I have to find out if Gardner does any Christmas tours here. Some places we've lived, they'll have a map of house lights, some you can tour old homes and carol and drink cocoa and the like.

...Oh noes. Thinking about Lincrusta again got me to interrupting this response to see if it can still be had. Of course it can, and of course it's not cheap. I just a chair rail sized I'd love to put in a 1/2 bathroom some time. *sighs* Maybe when I'm 64.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

oaktree

Post by oaktree »

Corsetière wrote:Here's the photo of the plaster embellishment in the hall of the Jones Mansion: Image

This is beautiful! I was surprised to see this detail in such a modest farmhouse.

I'm not sure what the original painted floor looked like. There was a beautiful pattern painted on the floor and in the worn spots, you could see yet another painted pattern underneath. And who knows what's under there!
1862 Greek Revival Farmhouse, Michigan

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

I would think these medallions are just plaster casts that were then stuck on the plaster mold. It would be really easy to replicate them. Just make a plasticene imprint and then pour in your plaster and stick it on the wall ?

I hadn't heard of Lincrusta , but it seems to be a mix of linseed oil and wood dust, probably packed into a mold under heat and pressure? there were quite a few radios made with "repwood" which really looks like carvings. I dont' know if linseed oil was the binder but I have various examples of that in radios and I have always admired the ones that use it.
here are some examples of repwood, but the term seems specific to radios, mainly ones from about 1925 to 1935 or so.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=repwood& ... HKAI&dpr=1