Need Foyers tile ideas for 1880 Eastlake - send photos?

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
lkamms
Just Arrived

Need Foyers tile ideas for 1880 Eastlake - send photos?

Post by lkamms »

Hello!

We own an 1880s Victorian Eastlake that is in modest condition (meaning, not quite modernized, not quite kept historically accurate).

We just removed terrible linoleum from the foyer, leveled it, and placed insulation underneath the floor boards. Sidenote: while doing that, we found a newspaper from 1953! The foyer is 4x4 (roughly) and leads to two double doors.

We now want to replace the floor covering with something that is attractive and historically respectful. I just love how people can update their old homes and make it look at once stylish and historically interesting. But I don't have those genes by nature.

We've been to many tile stores and had a few ideas that seem to fade by the time we get home. I'm a bit fearful of making a decision here without consulting experts (you guys, cuz the tile store people were useless) because this is a once-and-done job.

Does anyone have advice or examples to show of a nice foyer entryway floor that is about the same dimensions? any advice about what may have been used back in the day?

We know we want something light colored because our home is very dark - the tall narrow windows let in very little light.

Thanks!

Attachments
IMG_2472.JPG
IMG_2472.JPG (674.23 KiB) Viewed 758 times

lovesickest
Forgotten more than most know

Re: Need Foyers tile ideas for 1880 Eastlake - send photos?

Post by lovesickest »

I suggest UNGLAZED porcelain hex tile, white, with perhaps a charcoal border or small dot pattern. Unglazed porcelain is important, so it won't be slippery with wet or snowy boots. Use a smaller tile like a 1" tile. This tile is somewhat pricy, but the area you will be using it is in small. Here is a link with some variations:

http://www.historichouseparts.com/pdsho ... ?catid=431

(I haven't dealt with this company so I cannot comment on their quality, service,etc.)

Use a dark grey grout for serviceability.

This is a classic floor that would be common in a front entry way of a late victorian. It is sort of trendy look for kitchens and baths right now, but it won't go out of style or look dated in context of an old house.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

A plain brick red terracotta tile is warm and can be very similar in looks to the encaustic tiles used in that period.

Or if you want something truly colorful, non-slip and period appropriate, just get encaustic tiles, in either a traditional or modern design depending on your taste here is one place that sells the http://www.cementtileshop.com/
Mick...

Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Corsetière »

There's an English company that makes beautiful encaustic tiles for Victorian houses. I can't remember the name but I do have their catalog around here somewhere. I'll see if I can dig it up. The colors and designs they carry are amazing....

Casey
Wizened and wise in the old ways

Post by Casey »

http://restorationtile.com/
UK:
http://www.encaustictiles.net/order-from-stock.html
an article with a list of sources:
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/modern- ... ces-211703
edit: I wanted to add that encaustic tiles are not merely "unglazed" they are what Ruskin (?) called "permanent polychrome" in that the color goes all the way through, and it is permanent and immutable like brick, stone, or stained glass.
Last edited by Casey on Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The artist formerly known as Sombreuil

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

I don't have any photos handy, but look online for pictures of vestibules of rowhouses. The rowhouse, a common fixture in the Philadelphia/Baltimore/DC areas, usually had a tiled vestibule and many of them retain their originality today.

As others have said, use unglazed tile and be sure to seal it before grouting so it doesn't stain. The ones in this area were usually white or ivory with some black, green, or blue accents.

Powermuffin

Post by Powermuffin »

Love the border tiles in Casey's first link. It would look period and elegant in your home.

lkamms
Just Arrived

Post by lkamms »

Thanks for all these ideas, very enlightening. We looked into concrete encaustic tiles and that is the direction we are heading. The only problem is that we can't find our preferred design at a local source - while shipping can be more expensive than the tile.

Also, the quote we got for a 4x4 border to the design was $1500! Ha! The Granada Tile site had a great design tool and a LOT of options both of designs and colors in the design. http://granadatile.com/

So we're still trying to find a source. Attached are a few of the designs we came up with, we like the softer gray one in the upper right corner best, though we'd prefer a nice border.

This is an uninsulated foyer, so my husband bought radiant floor heating unit. Can't wait for that!

Will send photos of the final choice! Thanks,

lkamms
Just Arrived

Post by lkamms »

Oops, image attached. I notice that a lot of these encaustic tiles are more Moroccan or geometric in style. Our furniture trends toward Mission style, so before we make a commitment, we'll look for a design that is more Mission.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-09-29 at 8.14.57 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-09-29 at 8.14.57 AM.png (858.83 KiB) Viewed 652 times

Powermuffin

Post by Powermuffin »

We sure would like to see interior pictures of your beautiful home!