A Question on Crown Molding/Picture Rail/Trim

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

A Question on Crown Molding/Picture Rail/Trim

Post by Corsetière »

Does anyone one have two types of wood trim or molding on their walls that are original to the house? I am working on the entryway in my house and I think I see evidence for a narrow crown molding (this was a picture rail that was badly damaged) and another type of trim about 20 inches below the crown. I'd love to see extant examples of this so I can know what to put in the lower spot.....

Corsetière

Re: A Question on Crown Molding/Picture Rail/Trim

Post by Corsetière »

Oooh! I think I may have found some examples, but I still want to see what you guys might have out there...

http://media.oldhouseonline.com/wp-cont ... ezes_2.jpg

mjt
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mjt »

There's an area in my house where the mystery trim is actually a picture rail. We painted the area above the rail the same color as the ceiling.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

I don't know but I think some rooms in my house had some sort of trim about the height of the "mystery rail"
I have some pieces of repro trim in my basement that I think are close to what I want but I'd be really interested in the same info for comparison.

my ceiling is 10 ft. in one bedroom I found a shadow about 1 1/4". it ran around the bedroom about a foot from the ceiling. it seems to line up with the upper casings for the windows in that room. My living room seemed to have had wainscotting or some wood trim that ran up the wall about eye level ( 67 inches or so) I think it would have had a wainscott cap of some sort but not sure if there was another one above that.

Is it normal for picture rail to be right near the ceiling like in your photo? maybe that was a crown molding? are they normally right near the ceiling or lower than that?

Phil

Casey
Wizened and wise in the old ways

Post by Casey »

The lower picture rail is the older placement. Maybe at a point they updated and made it hug the ceiling?
Casey
The artist formerly known as Sombreuil

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

See, I am not sure, it is possible it was moved... At my previous home, which was a lot less monkeyed with, it had the same picture rail placed essentially right up at the top, too (which was where I found the picture rail in this house). It had just enough room to slip on a picture hook. Oh course when I got the house, the picture rail had been removed and replaced at least once to accommodate the hideous paneling, so I have no way of knowing where it was originally...

At first i thought about picking out a wide crown molding for the top and the doing the picture rail at the lower position, but the door frame is so tall, it will only accommodate the width of the original picture rail. So, I have a dilemma now!

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

mjt wrote:There's an area in my house where the mystery trim is actually a picture rail. We painted the area above the rail the same color as the ceiling.

[

Pretty! I did something similar in an upstairs bedroom here.

Powermuffin
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Powermuffin »

I saw the shadow of a picture rail 14" down from our ceilings placed just as in the photo directly above. I replaced it.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

the shadow I found met the trim above the door at just the same height as in Corsetière's photo. I am going to assume now that the shadow was from a picture rail. I want to replace it.
a correction from my earlier post I said my ceilings were 10' in fact they are 9'

I could see how someone might want to move them if they came across a jumbo picture, You can't really hang a picture in front of the picture rail.

Phil

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Phil, I wonder what it would look like if I put picture rail at the top, followed by a frieze (lincrusta?), and then a thin trim at the base of the lincrusta? I don't think I would mind having cords from picture rail hanging over the frieze and bottom trim. Victorian decor was so multilayered anyways....just a thought....