Strange window glazing...

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: Strange window glazing...

Post by Texas_Ranger »

I use Leinoelpro from Germany because there's a local store that carries it and I haven't read any negative reviews online. So far I've only tried their antique white Nr. 4 (slightly yellowish tint). Can't say how it'd react to high humidity because I've only used it indoors so far. I've read a few reports from Sweden about mold and mildew on exterior paint jobs with almost all linseed oil paints on the market, except one. I think that exception was Engwall & Claesson and that is actually a solvent-based paint that contains fungicides. Maybe I'll get around to exterior painting next year, our front door was last painted with acrylic in the late 90s and is peeling BADLY and the windows I painted in 2008 with modern oil paint are failing again too. I do know my uncle had all his windows (new replicas) painted with linseed oil paints well over 10 years ago and never had any issues. Our part of Europe isn't all that humid though, might be worse in places with more rain and less sunshine.

As KenN said I apply EXTREMELY thin coats, working the brush dry until you absolutely can't see any more brush marks and you do need three coats - I've heard people talk of five too!

Unfortunately I don't have the slightest idea how to tell apart raw and boiled linseed oil except for the label on the canister!

Vala

Post by Vala »

Aren't you supposed to add something to the paint like titanium white or zinc white to prevent mildew?

Texas_Ranger

Post by Texas_Ranger »

Vala wrote:Aren't you supposed to add something to the paint like titanium white or zinc white to prevent mildew?

Good question! Traditional (i.e. pre-1900) paints didn't contain either and must have worked too but OTOH they contained lead white which probably kills anything that tries to grow there.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

one of the major complaints regarding allback linseed oil paints is mold/mildew issues (made in Holland, available in the states and maybe Canada)...hans allback will often pop a bit of his glazing compound in his mouth to demonstrate it's organic and safe qualities...to include zinc white in his paints would require him to include a warning label on the can...the company chose not to include the zinc white...now, after many many complaints, it is strongly suggested that zinc white is added to the paint...personally, I think the price they are charging is a bit over the top--$55 for a liter...

a friend of mine used linseed oil on new and old bare wood siding as directed then painted with linseed oil paint...in months, the color began to fade significantly...the sales person at solventfreepaints suggested that he didn't apply the product correctly...my friend has visited with the allbacks in Sweden and did everything to the letter...the solution was to wash the siding with allback linseed oil soap, add more linseed oil then paint again...that SHOULD NOT HAPPEN...

fine paints of Europe in Vermont used to manufacture paint with a good amount of linseed oil but, from what I understand, the ingredients have changed....got a project coming up where the customer specified it...we'll see what happens--I look forward to it...yup, over a hundred bucks for 3 liters but, if it goes on well and lasts a good long time, the price is negligible...

...jade

Vala

Post by Vala »

Texas_Ranger wrote:
Vala wrote:Aren't you supposed to add something to the paint like titanium white or zinc white to prevent mildew?

Good question! Traditional (i.e. pre-1900) paints didn't contain either and must have worked too but OTOH they contained lead white which probably kills anything that tries to grow there.

So has anyone tried adding lead white to Allback paint?

Texas_Ranger

Post by Texas_Ranger »

personally, I think the price they are charging is a bit over the top--$55 for a liter...

That doesn't seem too expensive to me! I pay 55 Euros for the same amount so it's actually cheaper in the US! One litre of modern alkydic paint is 38 Euros and I get a lot further with the same amount of linseed oil paint so I wouldn't talk about expensive either. Or rather the price difference per square metre of painted surface is negligible.

In my experience faded surfaces can be revived quickly by rubbing them with a cloth and some linseed oil, noticed that when I was reglazing some badly faded windows. The oil from the putty alone made the paint shine again!