It opens! (Picture window)

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
bankeny
Knows the back streets

Re: It opens! (Picture window)

Post by bankeny »

Awesome TexasRed!

Our window took a turn for the worse. :-(

I was showing off the new ability to open it to some family and the tenon rotted off on the bottom right corner. The storm window was reinstalled and I need to remove the sash and try to fix it up with some epoxy. Just in time for cold weather to start setting in up in in Minnesota!

Vala

Post by Vala »

Did anything get broken?

bankeny
Knows the back streets

Post by bankeny »

Vala,

The sash joint broke causing the glass to shift and lots of the brittle glazing compound to chip off.
Luckily, the glass did not break. I was able to get the window mostly closed again, although there are some small gaps due to everything not being tight.

I plan on removing the sash and cleaning out the mortise joint the best I can. Then I can insert some dowels into the bottom rail through the mortise pocket and fill the cavity with epoxy.

Someone let me know if there is a better way to fix this!

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

bankeny wrote:Awesome TexasRed!

Our window took a turn for the worse. :-(

I was showing off the new ability to open it to some family and the tenon rotted off on the bottom right corner. The storm window was reinstalled and I need to remove the sash and try to fix it up with some epoxy. Just in time for cold weather to start setting in up in in Minnesota!

I have had a lot of success making a replacement tenon in this scenario. Remove old tenon remains and add a new mortice into the rail where the tenon one was. The make a new double length tenon and glue (use clamps for a good join) into the new mortice, leaving the rail looking as it did before the rot. It takes a bit of woodworking skill and an appropriate piece of wood to make the tenon, not to mention complete disassembly of the sash) but it seems a bit more permanent of a repair to me.
Mick...