What to seal wood windows with?

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Powermuffin
Forgotten more than most know

What to seal wood windows with?

Post by Powermuffin »

I have wood windows in the addition that are stained and are looking a bit dry. What product should I use to seal them or should I restain them, or ??
TIA,
Diane

heartwood

Re: What to seal wood windows with?

Post by heartwood »

curious, how old is the sash/stain?

lightly sand to remove clear finish and get a smooth surface--120-150 grit should do...we use general finishes: gel stain and gel topcoat....allow a MINIMUM of 24 hours for stain to set up in a warm dry environment... both are oil based... http://www.woodcraft.com/brands/5637145 ... rt=bseller

rare that we run into stained sash but we're currently working on such a project...client is very happy with the stain and clear finish....

hope that helps...
.....jade

Kashka-Kat
Stalwart

Post by Kashka-Kat »

Hope you dont mind my interrupting with a related question for Jade - have been thinking of using GF gel stain for my windows/trim because I like the richness of the colors, but am stuck on which shade to get - do you have a favorite, or a mixture of 2 or more, that you think closely resembles dark shellacked fir ? Mine were originally either dark stain + shellac, or perhaps that darkest brown shade of shellac which doesnt seem to be available and I would think it would be tricky to get nice even dark color. Tried a couple GF shades & the Java is too black, the Candlelite too orange. But I dont know - my sample sizes were small and Im very open to opinions - THX!

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

hi kk....can't say I have a 'favorite' color because I use stain so infrequently....on this recent project, I mixed brown mahogany and candlelite....the candlelite does not come close to matching the sample pack I keep in the shop...almost as dark as the mahogany when I thought it would be blonder....that aside, I used 2/3 mahogany and 1/3 candlelite and really like the outcome...pine is a soft wood with strains of soft and 'hard' areas so the stain looks different along the rails and stiles...I think it looks 'natural' and the client is happy with the results...we used a clear matte finish as requested by the client...

I used a few scraps of pine to make samples of different mixes to find the best match....costs a bit to purchase 2 or 3 colors but it's worth it to get the results you want....

good luck!
...jade

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Interesting Jade you don't run into stained sashes too often. Gothic home originally had a stained sashes on the inside. Even the storms had a stain on the inside exposure. Sort of a golden brown. The stain matched the window boxes. Must have looks grand when new, even with the storms in place.

Vala

Post by Vala »

Gothichome wrote:Interesting Jade you don't run into stained sashes too often. Gothic home originally had a stained sashes on the inside. Even the storms had a stain on the inside exposure. Sort of a golden brown. The stain matched the window boxes. Must have looks grand when new, even with the storms in place.

Yea, I'll second that. Almost everything around these parts was originally stained as well. I've not really ever encountered anything originally painted in southern IL.

jharkin
Stalwart

Post by jharkin »

Stain vs. paint probably depends on the era. In Mass. we still have some first period (1600s), along with a fair number colonial (1700s), federal (1780-1820) and Greek Revival (1820-civil war) era houses. You don't typically see stained woodwork in homes pre-Civil war, its either painted or if the family was poor just bare unfinished wood. From what I've seen the stained woodwork exploded in popularity with the Victorian types and later.....

Could be that Jade's clients are more of these earlier periods.
-Jeremy

1790~1800ish Center Chimney Cape

Vala

Post by Vala »

I can't imagine not having stained woodwork. It shows off the grain and brings so much 'warmth' to the home.

Sashguy

Post by Sashguy »

<<<Stain vs. paint probably depends on the era. In Mass. we still have some first period (1600s), along with a fair number colonial (1700s), federal (1780-1820) and Greek Revival (1820-civil war) era houses. You don't typically see stained woodwork in homes pre-Civil war, its either painted or if the family was poor just bare unfinished wood. From what I've seen the stained woodwork exploded in popularity with the Victorian types and later.....>>>

And then here comes "Art Deco" and homeowners painting over mahogany in order to keep up with the times. A lot of beautiful woodwork was screwed up forever.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

the house i'm currently working on is a rambling 1906 brick house...hard to pin point the style...4 square with porches and dormers...four beautifully tiled fireplaces with stained oak--not golden but a dark reddish mahogany...50 windows, mostly 6 over 2....the painted ones have one coat of latex over stain...client wants them painted...at least 30 are stained so no outcry from me...
....jade