What I did at my house today...

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: What I did at my house today...

Post by awomanwithahammer »

TexasRanger, what a great score! And with all the extra stuff thrown in, to boot!
Bonnie

Jeepnstein
Been here a good while

Post by Jeepnstein »

Ordered a bunch of metal for the outdoor kitchen. I'm taking a week off to run some electric and install siding. After the two projects I've been running here at work it'll be like a week at the beach!

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

awomanwithahammer wrote:
Gothichome wrote:AWH, do not even think about insulation between you brick walls. The space between is a moisture/ thermal break. And there should be air movement in the space. Some were low on the outer brick there should be a couple of grates or even air brick opening up to the cavity. The cavity should be open to the attic. The system uses the chimney effect to move air, allowing the outer brick to dry. Insulation will stop the air flow. No good would come of it.

No, I won't, and thank you for the advice. It was an idea only. I haven't seen any grates or vents, and I have no idea if it is open to the attic. I can't find any openings that would have allowed water in high on the walls, so I still don't know how it is getting in. The only thing I can figure is that it has been splashing on the foundation and wicking up through the brick. I know the water has been coming in that way even before the downspout was removed for painting because I've been in the basement when it rains and have seen water streaming in from that corner, but not lately. The water damage has occurred over many, many years.

water splashing is bad also the drains that the downspouts run into could get plugged. I know mine are at least half full of mud but they arent' super deep. I plan to dig them up and put plastic in but you could simply empty them or maybe dig a hole to intersect them downstream and try to stick the garden hose down to wash them out if they are getting full. i haven't got water issues in the basement so im putting it off for now but I have a new city hookup so when I get into it I can hook them up for now I'm on a slope and it doesn't cause any issues.

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

I disassembled one of my two flea market find chandeliers last night. Dear god, it took forever! What a mess! As annoying as the job is, I keep reminding myself that it is worth the effort because they only cost me $5 for the pair! lol! Can't wait to get them back to the right color!

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

I really like those fixtures; it would be worth the effort even if you paid $6.

Sow's Ear Mal
Stalwart

Post by Sow's Ear Mal »

Hi all. It's been just beautiful weather these past days. I'm over run with garden produce, but no complaints. Here's what I did today.... We have 15 pane french doors on the bedrooms upstairs, so that our light-compromised upper hall stays as lit as possible. It does present a challenge re privacy or modesty, lol. My two dogs have no sense of personal space, and are...well, kind of voyeurs. So...I frost-filmed the glass. Problem solved. :D
20170919_102320.jpg
20170919_102320.jpg (501.06 KiB) Viewed 299 times
20170919_102320.jpg
20170919_102320.jpg (501.06 KiB) Viewed 299 times
Attachments
20170919_102359.jpg
20170919_102359.jpg (485.68 KiB) Viewed 299 times

awomanwithahammer

Post by awomanwithahammer »

Yep, we did the same thing with the patio doors in our bedroom that lead onto a small deck. I figured if the animals never knew there was a window there, they wouldn't tear up the blinds trying to look out. I just filmed it about 3 feet up so we could still see out.
Bonnie

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Manalto wrote:I really like those fixtures; it would be worth the effort even if you paid $6.

Thanks, james! I think I may need to dump in about $125 for parts to redo them but I test cleaned up one of the parts and I could see they were originally polychrome so I think they will be killer when restored. I could even carry on the color palate into the plaster ceiling medalion.... ;)

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Sow's Ear Mal wrote:Hi all. It's been just beautiful weather these past days. I'm over run with garden produce, but no complaints. Here's what I did today.... We have 15 pane french doors on the bedrooms upstairs, so that our light-compromised upper hall stays as lit as possible. It does present a challenge re privacy or modesty, lol. My two dogs have no sense of personal space, and are...well, kind of voyeurs. So...I frost-filmed the glass. Problem solved. :D 20170919_102320.jpg20170919_102320.jpg

Omg, yes! Produce is off the charts here! I had to marinate and dehydrate tomatoes.

Doors look great! :)

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

That's too funny about the dogs watching..lol ;-) at least they don't tell ;-) Some of the films that look like stained glass actually can look nice. I know it's kind of a cheap way to add bling but in the right place, at least you can pull it off easy if you get tired of it.