What I did at my house today...

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: What I did at my house today...

Post by awomanwithahammer »

Simply stunning! I wish you all the luck in the world tomorrow, even though you don't need luck...you are well-prepared! :handgestures-fingerscrossed:
Bonnie

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Corsetière wrote:
awomanwithahammer wrote:Corsetiere, how goes the notice to vacate situation? I assume that since you are doing the lead abatement thing, the city has decided to back off? I tried to find your original post about this, but haven't been able to. Just wanted to get an update.

Yeah I had Mick remove my post because it was just not very helpful for me. While I know people's intentions were for the best, some folks responded with advice without really reading what I wrote first and some folks weren't particularly sensitive to the fact that this is my *actual* life we are talking about here, not just a theoretical situation without consequences. So reading that thread was honestly pretty frustrating and upsetting to me at the time because I was reading it in a time of real crisis. With that in mind, I will share the following and hope that people treat this with the seriousness it deserves. Please note: I'm not asking for advice, I have legal council for that.

Funny you should ask this today... :lol: I did finally find a lawyer who would take my case seriously and just in time too, because last week I received a summons and I'm getting called into court tomorrow. They are threatening to board up my house because I have not yet provided evidence of the abatement. My lawyer thinks that we will be able to get me enough time for me to abate it. I literally just completed the abatement course on Oct 27th and so there is no way I could have passed the final lead risk assessment exam without that class. It would have been certain failure. There are things one needs to know about the process that are not common sense.

I'm really well prepared for court tomorrow. I am confident with my abatement plan. I have receipts dating my purchase of supplies I've used to work on this problem, copies of numerous emails to the health department showing I have been working on this for months, my certificate from the 40 hour class I took, and a professional photographer friend just dropped off a printed before and after portfolio of all the work I have done so far. I just popped in to this thread to share the photos with you all. If you are the praying sort, pray for me tomorrow, send good juju, or light a candle. It is about to get real here.

She still has a ways to go but there's been a ton of improvement. Can't wait to remove the laminate flooring, strip the baseboards, and paint the walls. :)

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

The photos are gratifying. What a relief to the eye to see the return to natural wood.

I wish you the best tomorrow.

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Manalto wrote:The photos are gratifying. What a relief to the eye to see the return to natural wood.

I wish you the best tomorrow.

Thanks, Manalto. Is there a patron saint of unjust legal issues, or an obscure diety of home renovation that I can make an offering to? :lol:

All kidding aside, things are looking up...
Oh and I decorated the house for Christmas as an act of political defiance, too! :lol:
I'll share some more photos over the next couple of days.
Last edited by Corsetière on Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

awomanwithahammer

Post by awomanwithahammer »

Please keep us updated. I can't imagine what a horrifying situation it has been for you.
Bonnie

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

awomanwithahammer wrote:Please keep us updated. I can't imagine what a horrifying situation it has been for you.

Thanks, Bonnie. I am hanging on by a thread. But it's kind of a weird relief to finally get my issue in front of some people who may actually have the power to help us arrive at a sane solution. It's just been so exhausting dealing with paper pushers who would listen to me beg them for some sane action on the case and then just say "it's beyond our control, tell it to the judge." :roll:

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

Corsetière wrote:But it's kind of a weird relief to finally get my issue in front of some people who may actually have the power to help us arrive at a sane solution. It's just been so exhausting dealing with paper pushers who would listen to me beg them for some sane action on the case and then just say "it's beyond our control, tell it to the judge." :roll:

The pics look great. What a huge improvement. We all know how much hard work you have done to get there.

I sincerely hope that all goes well for you in court tomorrow, and the judge gets mad at all the paper pushers who kept dropping the ball. It's like a monster with a bunch of heads that don't talk to each other, despite their proximity !

Stay strong. Everyone here is rooting for you.

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Corsetière wrote:It is about to get real here.

She still has a ways to go but there's been a ton of improvement. Can't wait to remove the laminate flooring, strip the baseboards, and paint the walls. :)
Sounds like your ducks are in a row, and your home continues to improve each post. I hope your determined efforts yield the best results. :thumbup:
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Vala

Post by Vala »

Corsetière: simply stunning transformation! Kudos to you!

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Thanks for the support guys. This has been brutal.

Basically the Cliff's Notes version is:
I am going to have until March 22nd to get the interior ready for testing, which is better than the 60 days they were initially offering. And then they gave me a later spring date for the exterior work (my mind is blank on what we finally agreed upon). My lawyer basically said that not to worry too much about the dates because we can always come back to court and ask for an extension, especially if the weather is rainy (for exterior work), etc. Dear god, what a lot of stress for nothing...

I have so much work to do but at least I think it is possible...