What I did at my house today...

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: What I did at my house today...

Post by Corsetière »

awomanwithahammer wrote: So this is fronts of the cabinets. The top doors will have glass inserts.

After I finished all that, I went home and raked leaves. Yes, it's December, but our leaf season was really late this year. The leaves didn't finish falling until after Thanksgiving.

Cabinets look great!

Our leaves just dropped this week and of course it snowed today. :(

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Mick_VT wrote:looks like my soon to be resurrected (for the second time) pantry renovation will be getting a pocket door. I had planned to blow the wall out between what is currently the kitchen and what was (and will once again be), the pantry area. But differences in floor slope and a fgew other factors have got me rethinking that idea. Today I scored these puppies on fleabay, so I think a single pocket door will be my answer... Now to find a suitable door!

I think I saw a pocket door on craigslist locally here but Ohio may be a bit of a haul. lol!

Texas_Ranger

Post by Texas_Ranger »

Are chrome traps really that expensive in CA? I did a 1-minute Google search and the cheapest 1 1/4" chrome P trap in Austria (big-box DIY store) turned out at 6.95 - it doesn't get much closer to free, that's the price of a cheap pizza!

Picture: https://www.hornbach.de/data/shop/D04/0 ... 093514.jpg

historicalwork
Been here a good while

Post by historicalwork »

Decided to start on Bedroom #2 upstairs. Previous owners had bumped out the wall to add closet space. Not a bad idea given the lack of closet space. But a) it felt like you were talking into a wall when you came in the room and b) all the molding and the sliding doors did not match the house. At this point, we've decided to take out half of the closet. I'm debating leaving the other half and putting in a door that matches the rest of the house. That would include framing out the opening and matching up the molding. I was careful to use a reciprocating saw to get out the old framing to avoid further damage to the plaster or floor. Except for a couple nail holes, the floor is OK. There are some wall areas that need some plaster repair. But nothing crazy. A lot to clean up...

Starting to take down the closet.

After a bit of demo - first half of closet out.

I'm not sure what this is and haven't checked yet. There is an old intercom in the house and there used to be antenna wires throughout.

Texas_Ranger

Post by Texas_Ranger »

The last picture looks like a Knob & Tube splice, old house wiring.

historicalwork
Been here a good while

Post by historicalwork »

Texas_Ranger wrote:The last picture looks like a Knob & Tube splice, old house wiring.
Oh - thank you. Didn't even know it might be that. As far as I know, there is no live knob / tube wiring - but I've seen places where old wire terminates. I'll check it for power with a voltage detector.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Texas_Ranger wrote:The last picture looks like a Knob & Tube splice, old house wiring.

Yep, looks like K&T to me too - maybe just old and unused but do check!

I think I would remove the entire closet, then keep an eye on Craigslist for an appropriate free standing wardrobe - they can often be had for a song
Mick...

historicalwork
Been here a good while

Post by historicalwork »

Mick_VT wrote:

Yep, looks like K&T to me too - maybe just old and unused but do check!

I think I would remove the entire closet, then keep an eye on Craigslist for an appropriate free standing wardrobe - they can often be had for a song

I'm actually leaning that way. I'm worried about the cost / time needed to frame out a new door. And I'll have to remove a lot of the framing and drywall to that second area anyway. More importantly, it still doesn't seem right for the room. I need to take a picture of it to explain, but the original closet had a door - it's within the half of the closet we left as of now. The space is limited because it's under the steps that go to the attic. But it has all the door framing and I have two extra 5 panel doors in the barn. And your idea of a wardroom closet is right on - that's what we have in two other rooms. The PO had two plywood wardroom closets that didn't look bad after some added trim and chalk paint. And that's worked so far. As suggested, I might keep my eyes out on craigslist for another. Other than dealing with any bad plaster areas, ripping out the rest of the added closet is the easier route to go. I need to think it over...

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

It was a very productive day. We installed 4 door sweeps, to help with the drafts, got the heat connected in the powder room finally, and hung up this heavy shelf.

I am pretty sure the shelf had been the top of an 1880's mantel as it was 58" wide x 11" deep x 1.5" thick , and had the ghosts on the bottom of where the supports would have been. I looked all over for cast iron brackets that were big enough and not terrible looking. There were some nice ones from the UK but shipping was cost prohibitive. A local Kijiji seller had these. It is actually two different but very similar brackets, not antique.Lots of fussing to find the studs, and to attach one bracket through old masonry (original chimney is below new drywall). I am really happy to have the shelf up.

_DSC0009.jpg
_DSC0009.jpg (1.23 MiB) Viewed 446 times

MJ1987
Been here a while

Post by MJ1987 »

Willa wrote:It was a very productive day. We installed 4 door sweeps, to help with the drafts, got the heat connected in the powder room finally, and hung up this heavy shelf.

I am pretty sure the shelf had been the top of an 1880's mantel as it was 58" wide x 11" deep x 1.5" thick , and had the ghosts on the bottom of where the supports would have been. I looked all over for cast iron brackets that were big enough and not terrible looking. There were some nice ones from the UK but shipping was cost prohibitive. A local Kijiji seller had these. It is actually two different but very similar brackets, not antique.Lots of fussing to find the studs, and to attach one bracket through old masonry (original chimney is below new drywall). I am really happy to have the shelf up.

_DSC0009.jpg

That looks great--especially like that little milk glass clamshell. Looks like an "Efcolite". Perfect for an old house!
Matt

I built a chimney for a comrade old;
I did the service not for hope or hire:
And then I travelled on in winter’s cold,
Yet all the day I glowed before the fire.

-Edwin Markham