What I did at my house today...

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: What I did at my house today...

Post by awomanwithahammer »

Those sconces are beautiful! You do such a good job with the metal.

I haven't done anything at my house in days, much less today. :cry: Still have stitches from my hand surgery. They come out on Monday morning, so hopefully in a few days after that, I'll be able to work. It feels perfectly OK, I just have to be careful of the stitches.
Bonnie

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

awomanwithahammer wrote:Those sconces are beautiful! You do such a good job with the metal.

I haven't done anything at my house in days, much less today. :cry: Still have stitches from my hand surgery. They come out on Monday morning, so hopefully in a few days after that, I'll be able to work. It feels perfectly OK, I just have to be careful of the stitches.

Thank you!

I hope your hand heals quickly!

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Sand, prime and paint in the kitchen. Same thing I did yesterday,and the day before that, and the same for the last week. Good thing I pay myself cheap, i’d go broke if I had to pay some one.

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

I finally got the remnants of the construction from the 2nd floor bath, the strange contents of the bathroom closet (xbox, ancient TV, and tupperware collection), and the weird wall down the stairs and outside so I can take parts to the garage and to the garbage. Bye bye gross fiberglass enclosure, stack of two by fours, and never-ending bags of junk! I'm trying to get anything dubious out of the house in case it had lead paint on it before I get to the final cleaning stage... :roll:

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

The powder room is now completely done. The room is so small that getting pics was tough. For those who missed this part, the powder room I started with had a cheap shower enclosure, a small sink and a toilet stuffed into a 4 x 6' room. This room was partially tiled to the ceiling with terrible 12 x 12" ceramic tiles nearly 3/8" thick, adhered to chipboard. And what wasn't tiled was painted a horrid turmeric yellow, over very lumpy walls, at least 4 layers of wallpaper deep. The original door trim had been cut to make the bad shower fit. Did I mention the folding closet door for a door ? Or the impossible to remove privacy film on the window ? A nightmare.

While in theory I "could have" fixed the plaster, in practice the bottom 1/3 was missing from where the tongue and groove boards had been. There was a huge amount of undoing until we even got to the doing part.

We used 1/4" and 3/8" drywall so as not to bury the window trim. I scored a bunch of salvaged antique door casings, and trim boards on Kijiji, so those went up, including the unusual square corner blocks. Many big thanks to Gothichome, who got me the plinths I needed, for the door casings. (Contractor grumbled those plinths were harder to cut/nail as they were fir v.s. pine). The floor was discovered to have many holes and a little rot from pipes having been moved around several times. The original plan was to use the white ceramic tile from the ReStore for the floor, so that is what was done.

The antique marble sink was an excellent $ 30.00 score from Kijiji. The medicine cabinet was free from an apartment reno. The door was a Milette brand door from Home Depot with glue chip glass. This was the best match for the original kitchen door, which is 98% identical except for the glue chip glass. I replaced the lower glass in the original window with privacy glass.

I painted the walls Benjamin Moore "Castleton Mist" (sort of a light chartreuse) with "Nantucket Grey" trim. On its own the Nantucket Grey is quite greenish, almost khaki, but against the yellowish wall color it becomes light pearl grey.

The chrome stand for the sink is unusually tall. Installed, the top of the sink is 37" to the floor. I am somewhat tall, so I didn't mind. The plumber had several questions just to make sure before the sink went up.

This room was absolutely the worst room in the house, so it feels incredible to have finally resolved/completed this.

(Adjacent kitchen is in progress.)

p.s. Yes, sink drain pipe is ABS not fancy chrome. The expense and hassle of using a chrome drain pipe which will only be seen by those on the toilet seemed foolish.

_DSC0027.jpg
_DSC0027.jpg (1.17 MiB) Viewed 241 times

_DSC0026.jpg
_DSC0026.jpg (977.49 KiB) Viewed 241 times

_DSC0035.jpg
_DSC0035.jpg (1.17 MiB) Viewed 241 times

_DSC0033.jpg
_DSC0033.jpg (1.09 MiB) Viewed 241 times

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Beautiful!

awomanwithahammer

I love it, Willa! Where did you find the chrome sink stand? I hunted, but everything I found was incredibly expensive.
Bonnie

Willa

Post by Willa »

awomanwithahammer wrote:I love it, Willa! Where did you find the chrome sink stand? I hunted, but everything I found was incredibly expensive.

The chrome sink stand came with the sink, as well as the taps. The taps needed new washers though...I have no clue why the seller let it go for so cheap ?

There is a place in CA that has vintage plumbing stuff - DEA Bath. I wonder if they might have a stand ? I think the stand is not original to this sink. The seller bought the sink, etc. at a fancy Toronto plumbing salvage place (Addison's). I think the stand is about 30 years younger than the sink ? Addison's has a site. You might come out ahead with your USD ?

awomanwithahammer

Wow! I just assumed that the sink alone was $30. That's an incredible find! I bought my sink for $10 at the Salvation Army thrift store. It's not terribly old, probably 70s, but it's porcelain and I really like it. It would have looked good with a metal stand, but I wasn't willing to spend $200 on one, so I ended up building one from stair balusters. I think it looks pretty good. But thanks for the info; I'll keep it in mind for the future.
Bonnie

Willa

Post by Willa »

The greatest progress in the kitchen so far has been finally getting the sink installed.

I scored the sink plus bracket mounted drainboard on CL for $ 0.00 - but I had to pay a handy guy to unmount the sink for me as the home-owner did not know how. He saved the mounting bracket and every last screw.

Then there was the drama of the broken drain flange but I got super lucky on Ebay and bought the only one I could find(from Quebec) - which was a perfect fit. This was sure lucky as DEA Bath no longer has them in stock, nor any other plumbing or salvage sources I inquired at.

What's not shown was all the work of getting this wall fixed. There is the chimney uinder 1/3 of the wall, and the tongue and grrove boards project 3/4" more than the wall itself. The wall had to be made flush with the wainscotting, so the sink could be mounted properly. The chimney had settled and projected further than the rest of the wall, with a huge lump and crack. This was accomplished using both 1/4" and 3/8" drywall on the same wall.

The light could not get centered on the wall due to the solid masonry and the location of the studs. The light itself was another happy find on Kijiji.

The carpenter sweated as he trimmed off the original trim to make room for the sink, but his measurements were absolutely correct. There was some fussing to get the cast iron bracket for the drainboard mounted correctly, with more worries as 2 out 3 of the screws would be into the masonry below. The wainscotting had to get chiselled out for the bracket, too.

This is currently the only wall in the kitchen which is painted - but it was another relief to see that my paint choices work well in the room. The trim is BM Advance paint in Weston Flax, and the walls are Hawthorne Yellow.

The faucet came with the sink, and I had no clue what condition it might be in. The sink is 10" to centers, and I could not find another version of this faucet. The only other possible replacement was a somewhat fancy faucet made for commercial kitchens with separate taps, which would take at least 3 weeks to get delivered to the closest Lowes. I took the faucet completely apart, gave it long soak in vinegar and water to remove the hard water scale, and crossed my fingers when the plumber turned the water on. Besides some tightening, it was fine. Whew.

_DSC0003.jpg
_DSC0003.jpg (1.05 MiB) Viewed 227 times