What I did at my house today...

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Gothichome

Re: What I did at my house today...

Post by Gothichome »

Glad to hear of your progress Corcetiere, I feel better knowing, should you decide to lick the trim, your safe from lead poisoning.

Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Corsetière »

Willa wrote:That's great news, Corsetiere. I'll bet you are more than a little tired of the chaos that painting brings. Even though you are doing the abatement under duress, and someone else's deadline, does your house feel different ?

If nothing else you could probably fancy it up a little and submit the photos to one of the trendy online decorator sites, who would rave about the light and bright interiors !

Yeah the painting does help a lot actually, thanks. You don't really realize how the chippy and dirty looking paint effects the whole mood of the place. The photo I took of the studio does look pretty damned Joanna Gaines trendy! lmao!

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Gothichome wrote:Glad to hear of your progress Corcetiere, I feel better knowing, should you decide to lick the trim, your safe from lead poisoning.

lol! Right! Instead I'm probably just developing cancer from whatever toxic ingredient is in the latex paint that is still legal until 20 years from now when we discover that it too is carcinogenic.

awomanwithahammer

Post by awomanwithahammer »

What I did today (or yesterday, actually--come to think of it, what I've been doing every day lately) is restoring windows. I'm trying to keep a continuous loop going, so that while the putty on one set is curing, I'm pulling out another set to strip. I've almost finished 5 of the 14. I'm definitely improving, but, dang! it's amazing how incredibly labor intensive it is to restore a window.

Corsetiere, sending good thoughts for your abatement meeting. :handgestures-fingerscrossed: Hopefully, you will be able to breathe a little easier and sleep at night.

Willa, I love the color. Your room looks so bright and fresh now. I might have to check out that paint color!
Bonnie

MJ1987
Been here a while

Post by MJ1987 »

awomanwithahammer wrote:What I did today (or yesterday, actually--come to think of it, what I've been doing every day lately) is restoring windows. I'm trying to keep a continuous loop going, so that while the putty on one set is curing, I'm pulling out another set to strip. I've almost finished 5 of the 14. I'm definitely improving, but, dang! it's amazing how incredibly labor intensive it is to restore a window.

Ha--I was in this mode in the late autumn/early spring. I hate that the Sarco skins so hard after a few days/weeks. By the time I go back in to glaze, I have to scrape a few ounces off the top. When I tried to use cellophane to prevent the skin, it fused to the glaze :crazy:

I'm back to stripping the heat-gunned woodwork....that's another monotonous task--weeks and weeks of wearing a mask and scrubbing with lacquer thinner.... :crazy: All good, though. Think of the long-term!!
Matt

I built a chimney for a comrade old;
I did the service not for hope or hire:
And then I travelled on in winter’s cold,
Yet all the day I glowed before the fire.

-Edwin Markham

awomanwithahammer

MJ1987 wrote:
Ha--I was in this mode in the late autumn/early spring. I hate that the Sarco skins so hard after a few days/weeks. By the time I go back in to glaze, I have to scrape a few ounces off the top. When I tried to use cellophane to prevent the skin, it fused to the glaze :crazy:

I'm back to stripping the heat-gunned woodwork....that's another monotonous task--weeks and weeks of wearing a mask and scrubbing with lacquer thinner.... :crazy: All good, though. Think of the long-term!!

How many windows did you have to do? Are you all done? I can't wait, but I foresee months ahead to finish up.

Jade says they pour enough water on top of the Sarco to cover it when they finish for the day, and I've started doing that. It definitely helps, but I, too, wasted a lot of putty scraping it off the top before that.
Bonnie

awomanwithahammer

I found a new weapon in my never-ending quest to make removing old putty from old windows less sucky. I've been using a heat gun and a screwdriver to get it out. Today I grabbed a pick (like a dental tool) from my tool bag to try to get it out of the corners and accidentally found that it works really well on all of it, even unheated putty. It's almost all cracked from age, so if I can get underneath it with the pick, I can pop it off, and it comes out in big chunks. I tried it on the second sash I worked on today, and I finished in about half the time it took with the heat gun, with no glass breakage. :clap:

It takes so little success to make me a happy camper!
Bonnie

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

More progress, another room nearly knocked off my abatement list. But not before I found a bottle of HIV medication and a syringe.

Being the first to restore a house = finding both the crate of French crystal goblets and the drug paraphernalia. lol!
Don't worry I am super careful...

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Corcetiere, French crystal, Ooooooooo. Are they older?

awomanwithahammer

Where did you find all of this?
Bonnie