What I did at my house today...

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: What I did at my house today...

Post by awomanwithahammer »

Somebody said I should post a picture of my freshly puttied windows...here they are! I wish I could figure out why all of my pictures are either upside down or sideways! :angry-banghead:
20170701_092736.jpg
20170701_092736.jpg (1.55 MiB) Viewed 349 times
Bonnie

Greygon
Settling in

Post by Greygon »

A coupe of projects going on at the house. We tore out the paneling in the kitchen that had some water damage. We are going to put up drywall where we took the paneling down, this was a later addition to the house. There was some evidence of old water damage and rotting studs, we replaced the studs. Lots or rain last week and no sign of the water leak that caused the problem. We do know that they had some work done around the chimney, so they may have repaired the problem then but not addressed the 'smaller' issues.
IMG_7419.JPG
IMG_7419.JPG (1.24 MiB) Viewed 349 times
IMG_7423.JPG
IMG_7423.JPG (1.44 MiB) Viewed 349 times

Also this weekend, we have planed some flooring for the kitchen too! That was quite the chore. This flooring came out of a building down south in Newton, Al. The building is at east 130+ years old so we are excited to get this flooring to put in our kitchen/keeping area. I counted 8 growth lines in 1/4 inch of the pine board!

IMG_7438.JPG
IMG_7438.JPG (1.34 MiB) Viewed 349 times
IMG_7437.JPG
IMG_7437.JPG (1.41 MiB) Viewed 349 times

The old paneling is going to be painter over. We had debated removing and putting in drywall, but have opted instead to paint it first. We have to get this area ready for our cabinets that will be built later this month! My wife is really excited about this area getting redone.

GibsonGM
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GibsonGM »

Hammer woman, those windows are quite nice looking!!

Greygon...nice work, glad the water infiltration seems to be taken care of!

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Finished up the clean up and painting of the rusty old summer cover. I didn't know how to replicate the original finish, so I painted it to match my radiators and newel post lamp. :)

Once I restore the fireplace, I'll post a photo of the whole thing.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Splendid!

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Thanks, Manalto! I confess that I went a bit overboard on the metallic finish the first time so I ended up redoing it entirely. lol!

awomanwithahammer

Post by awomanwithahammer »

So pretty; I love it!
Bonnie

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Thanks, awomanwithahammer!

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Progress! The balcony part is stripped! :D

Olson185
Been here a good while

Post by Olson185 »

Yesterday, July 4th, my wife gave both the 1st. and 2nd. floor porches a long overdue second coat of paint on the fascia and trim boards while I gave the picket fence it's first coat of paint, in one section I puttied and primed last Summer, and a second coat along the front (not that it needed it but just to help brighten it up and fill in some flaws in the wood).

The day before, July 3, we installed the last 5' of the stone block berm wall...and got the tools put away just as it started to rain (again). I have about 2'-3' to install at the other end but it's just an aesthetic job to give the wall a nice transition into the berm.
~James

Fourth generation in a family of artists, engineers, architects, woodworkers, and metalworkers. Mine is a family of Viking craftsmen. What we can't create, we pillage, and there's nothing we can't create. But, sometimes, we pillage anyway.