What I did at my house today...

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: What I did at my house today...

Post by Manalto »

Gothichome wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:59 am
Lily, I haven’t told them I’m doing it. :eusa-shhh: :eusa-shhh: :eusa-shhh:
That's often the wise choice. You know that old saying about permission versus forgiveness.

MJ1987
Been here a while

Post by MJ1987 »

I've been working on landscaping like a fiend lately. I flattened the hump in the middle of the ribbon driveway and prepared it for new sod. Is there anything quite like rolling out that new lush green carpet?! The before and after is really stunning. There hasn't been great grass there for as long as the PO remembers. I even did the small strip to the left, which really helps to provide contrast and visual length up the driveway. Hoping to give the sod plenty of water and TLC to keep it nice. We shall see... Beyond that, I'm waiting for my Fenway Boston Ivy rooted cuttings to get established before I can add them to the righthand side. They'll hopefully provide great ground cover and soil retention, while sprawling onward and upward onto the woven wire fence.
IMG_3534.JPG
IMG_3534.JPG (132.21 KiB) Viewed 69264 times
New sod!
New sod!
B6D4D117-F3EB-4974-B17E-243CD7715FD2.JPG (140.6 KiB) Viewed 69264 times

I also carved out the little awkward section at the bottom right of the driveway. Again, the grade proved a challenge. I used a 19th century sandstone carriage step to retain the soil, as well as some more of the hand-cut sandstone blocks to create a narrow bed to hold the offshoot lilac. It's pretty intertwined with some honeysuckle but I'm going to leave it be for now. Truth be told, the lilac was a bit of a PITA because it stuck out just far enough to scrape against my truck, but the scent is amazing. It's also original to the house so.... I tied it back to the fence pretty aggressively with some jute twine. Problem solved...for now.
9EC605CA-DDDF-45C9-86AE-CB0951C134AF.JPG
9EC605CA-DDDF-45C9-86AE-CB0951C134AF.JPG (136.19 KiB) Viewed 69264 times
Just behind the carriage step, I installed a 19th-century horse-head hitching post that came from a historic property in Teaneck, NJ. The family that lived there actually took it when they moved and used it at their new house for another 50 years before finally selling it at their estate sale several years ago. A couple weeks ago, I found an old marble well pump cap (I think) that was the perfect size for sinking the hitching post into. Add some pansies, bing-bang-boom, the little spot now looks purposeful!
Hitching post and carriage step
Hitching post and carriage step
28F1B60A-1FBF-48BE-B5F4-22CB2E19ED72.JPG (134.81 KiB) Viewed 69264 times
I also cut in two large beds at the top of the hill. I really think it helps the eye to extend the the length of the very-small front yard. I plan to plant some oak leaf hydrangeas on both sides to add some height and give the front that grown-in look. James has been my go-to for strategizing about additional plantings. I decided to forgo adding anything to the hill for now, beyond the flowering vinca. I had planted it all out between the rocks a couple years ago, but the sandy soil and sun proved too much for about 50% of the plants. Now, I have sprinklers and it seems to be growing like wildfire (woohoo!). It will be a great help for retaining soil and will, hopefully, continue to flower with all the water. Next year, when budget allows, I'll add a dogwood tree to the left of the front walkway, behind the hydrangeas, to mirror the look of the Japanese maple on the right.
2016.png
2016.png (1.87 MiB) Viewed 69264 times
Rock garden and new beds
Rock garden and new beds
59D8AD9B-6EBB-414E-9CEC-8FC3DD8B64E4.JPG (120.73 KiB) Viewed 69264 times
Finally, I planted some cacti and iris (thanks, James!) and transplanted the flowering quince (also likely original to the house) to the bed in front of the lattice, beneath the porch. I thatched the lawn, put down pre-emergent, and in the immortal words of Jackie Gleason, "Away we go!"
"...and awayyy we go!"
"...and awayyy we go!"
gleason-video-clips.jpg (22.38 KiB) Viewed 69264 times
Last edited by MJ1987 on Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt

I built a chimney for a comrade old;
I did the service not for hope or hire:
And then I travelled on in winter’s cold,
Yet all the day I glowed before the fire.

-Edwin Markham

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Matt, what wonderful work you have done over the years, you have turned a drab but functional old home into the best dressed lady on the block. Well done. I bet your neighbours are happy with the transformation. Has it inspired other along the street? If not, it should have.
Ron

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

MJ1987 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:23 pm

IMG_3534.JPG
B6D4D117-F3EB-4974-B17E-243CD7715FD2.JPG

9EC605CA-DDDF-45C9-86AE-CB0951C134AF.JPG

28F1B60A-1FBF-48BE-B5F4-22CB2E19ED72.JPG

59D8AD9B-6EBB-414E-9CEC-8FC3DD8B64E4.JPG

You're smart to get this work done while the weather is still cool and plants can get established. In a couple of weeks you can do the fine tuning and just watch it grow. I'm jealous of that to strip driveway. Does that style of driveway have a name?

The trick to laying sod is to get fresh sod to begin with And it looks like that's what you got.

( I tried to copy the driveway picture for my post but it looks like I failed. )

MJ1987
Been here a while

Post by MJ1987 »

Manalto wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:07 pm You're smart to get this work done while the weather is still cool and plants can get established. In a couple of weeks you can do the fine tuning and just watch it grow. I'm jealous of that to strip driveway. Does that style of driveway have a name?

The trick to laying sod is to get fresh sod to begin with And it looks like that's what you got.
Thanks--frankly, I think it has more to do with my eagerness than intelligence or planning savvy :lol:

The sod had really nice black dirt underneath. It was nice and green when I picked it up and has only seemed to get more green since it's been laid out. Hoping to pick up some more sod this weekend and take care of the strips by the curb. I think that might be ambitious, though, since I also need to haul away the 500lbs of dirt and grass that I cut out of the bed areas.

As far as driveway terminology goes, I've always heard to it referred to as a "ribbon driveway." Not one single section of my concrete strips has cracked. When I was prepping it for sod, I dug next to the edge and it appears to be nearly 3-4" thick! It's got an exposed aggregate on the top which helps with traction, but it's always been a bit icy in the winters. Nonetheless, I'll continue to grin and bear it for the aesthetic I'm going for. I always wanted a ribbon driveway and I've finally gotten one....including all the maintenance and upkeep. Frankly, snow is really the only pain in the a$$. Trying to shovel off the top layer enough to drive my truck over it is a nuisance. But before this winter, snowfall has been reasonable so it's worked out nicely.
Matt

-Edwin Markham

MJ1987
Been here a while

Post by MJ1987 »

Gothichome wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:06 pm Matt, what wonderful work you have done over the years, you have turned a drab but functional old home into the best dressed lady on the block. Well done. I bet your neighbours are happy with the transformation. Has it inspired other along the street? If not, it should have.
Ron
Thanks, Ron--that's a really nice thing to say. I've always been an old-house enthusiast, not just a historic-house enthusiast. I wish more people appreciated how nice their houses could be with a little planning and investment. Granted, I'm a younger single guy with some disposable income, but nothing I've done has been crazy money--with the exception of the boiler work :roll:

Most people in the neighborhood are really friendly and complimentary. They stop, chat, and admire the work that has been done. I'm hoping that it inspires more of them to make good upgrades, but who knows if they will. I'd estimate that 75% of the neighborhood was built pre-war so there's plenty of opportunity. Most houses are smaller and lot sizes are commensurate. Everything I've been reading and hearing is related to the pandemic suggests it will be a boon for Westwood and our neighborhood, especially. Smaller houses with manageable lots are perfect for people exiting New York City apartments. There is a train line in town and it's only 35 minutes by car to Midtown from my house. Hoping the conditions are right for a nice little surge--not because I'm dying for my property value to rise, but just because I think it's a great little town with a great housing stock!
Matt

-Edwin Markham

Lily left the valley

Post by Lily left the valley »

Gothichome wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:59 am
Lily left the valley wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:52 am
Gothichome wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:50 pmWhat I did this past weekend. Slugged enough stones to fill five more cages down the river bank, just a little more protection for Gothichome. Still have another forty or so feet to make cages for and fill with rocks. Each cage takes about half a ton of rocks, got a good work out. Also got the veggie garden straightened out and almost ready for seeding. And got some of cement board on the walls of the upstairs bathroom.
Glad it’s a Monday, I got to go to work, I needed the rest. :-)
You may have mentioned this, but how difficult has it been to work with your local government that deal with the riverbank issues? Were you eligible for any grants for that? (Referring to the caged rocks, if I recall right, as part of the retention work.)
Lily, I haven’t told them I’m doing it. :eusa-shhh: :eusa-shhh: :eusa-shhh:
I see. :shh:
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Lily left the valley wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:25 pm

I see. :shh:

Lily left the valley

Post by Lily left the valley »

MJ1987 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:17 pm{snip}As far as driveway terminology goes, I've always heard to it referred to as a "ribbon driveway."
That's the same term I've known for that style. It's also one method we've been debating between that and a permeable when we finally get to working on our driveway.
MJ1987 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:17 pm Frankly, snow is really the only pain in the a$$. Trying to shovel off the top layer enough to drive my truck over it is a nuisance. But before this winter, snowfall has been reasonable so it's worked out nicely.
Heavier snowfall, just shovel off the topmost snow, then use a push broom for the last bits. I have seen folks use a snow scoop instead of shovel (some have wheels, some do not) as well.

I am quite envious of you, as you are much farther along in less time than we are. Everything looks fantastic. :mrgreen:
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Lily left the valley wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:37 am
MJ1987 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:17 pm{snip}As far as driveway terminology goes, I've always heard to it referred to as a "ribbon driveway."
That's the same term I've known for that style. It's also one method we've been debating between that and a permeable when we finally get to working on our driveway.
MJ1987 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:17 pm Frankly, snow is really the only pain in the a$$. Trying to shovel off the top layer enough to drive my truck over it is a nuisance. But before this winter, snowfall has been reasonable so it's worked out nicely.
Heavier snowfall, just shovel off the topmost snow, then use a push broom for the last bits. I have seen folks use a snow scoop instead of shovel (some have wheels, some do not) as well.

I am quite envious of you, as you are much farther along in less time than we are. Everything looks fantastic. :mrgreen:
Plow with bumper, wait for spring, end of pain in a$$. :lol: