What I did at my house today...

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Re: What I did at my house today...

Post by Willa »

Gothichome wrote:Pumped water out of the basement today. Our river has overflowed its banks. Gothichome is in no danger of flooding but to the rising water has forced the water table well above our bacement floor, in particular the old coal room closest to the bank.
Went out a bought a sump pump and dug a small sump, been pumping all day. Pumps been keeping up with no issues. As I type the river is cresting, or so they tell us. Going to be a long night.

Yikes, with extra yikes.

I hoped for your sake that the location of your house would be immune to flooding, due to the superior planning of such things way back when. This flooding is exceptional by all accounts.

I bet the local places have sold out of sump pumps, etc..

Somehow my basement is dry, despite missing eavestroughing, basement windows that aren't a tight fit, etc. My street is on a slight incline, and I am lower by several feet than one business nest door, while the slightly lower other business has a very pronounced grade that makes the water quickly run towards the sewer. I am so grateful for this, while I have been neurotically checking the basement. So far so good.

Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Corsetière »

omg, Willa, your plaster repair....that's what my bedroom will look like with all the nail holes from the paneling here! What a labor of love! I bet you can't wait to repaint!

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

awomanwithahammer wrote:!

Corsetiere, how long did it take you to strip those 5 jambs?

You know, I really should have timed it because I was getting quite fast towards the end! But I'm not sure to tell you the truth since I worked on them in stages. After I figured out the optimal processing time of 2 hrs, things really went along nicely! I did use the Bahco carbide scraper (that someone, Jade maybe?, suggested) in some spots because some of the paint just grabbed really well and would not come up with chemicals.

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Mick_VT wrote:
Corsetière wrote:This forum is so odd with its delayed outgoing mail! Maybe we're due for a catch up phone call on another evening at more decent hour? lol!

It's just the weird way the software works - less like email and more like old fashioned internal office memo systems. It sits in your outbox until it is picked up by the recipient. I guess it does add the benefit that you know if it has been read, and can edit or delete it before it is

Ah! I see!

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Gothichome wrote:Pumped water out of the basement today. Our river has overflowed its banks. Gothichome is in no danger of flooding but to the rising water has forced the water table well above our bacement floor, in particular the old coal room closest to the bank.
Went out a bought a sump pump and dug a small sump, been pumping all day. Pumps been keeping up with no issues. As I type the river is cresting, or so they tell us. Going to be a long night.

Oh man! My thoughts are with you! So nerve wracking!

Willa

Post by Willa »

An after of my living room, on a sunny day. The new wall color is BM HC-01 Castleton Mist.

Realtor pic before (the color is considerably lightened):

realtorlroom1.jpg
realtorlroom1.jpg (37.58 KiB) Viewed 224 times

Some but not all of the patching required:

_DSC0004 2.jpg
_DSC0004 2.jpg (1.15 MiB) Viewed 224 times

My after:

_DSC0004.jpg
_DSC0004.jpg (1.02 MiB) Viewed 224 times

The color is little fussy to photograph. It is a light chartreuse, but greyed down.

41296956503b8d0e3e7b48b173ce7269.jpg
41296956503b8d0e3e7b48b173ce7269.jpg (10.58 KiB) Viewed 224 times

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Willa, that looks very nice, very nice indeed.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

I have a couple of those black panther TV lamps too. Hard to find the original shades, they would have been much like the ones you have in shape but metal, kind of like the metal Venetian blinds.

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Looks great, Willa!

I just finished painting the trim in my bedroom and the 2nd floor bath, and am nearly done painting it in the studio as well. Perhaps I'll be able to finish that today or tomorrow! Then just two more rooms on the 2nd floor to finish "abatement painting" for this level. I have 2 weeks before I get dragged back into environmental court to report to Big Brother on my progress. *eyeroll* But I think I will have all of the interior lead paint hazards addressed by then, which is what they wanted by that date. So all in all, life isn't terrible right now. lol!

Willa

Post by Willa »

That's great news, Corsetiere. I'll bet you are more than a little tired of the chaos that painting brings. Even though you are doing the abatement under duress, and someone else's deadline, does your house feel different ?

If nothing else you could probably fancy it up a little and submit the photos to one of the trendy online decorator sites, who would rave about the light and bright interiors !