What I did at my house today...

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
jharkin
Stalwart

Re: What I did at my house today...

Post by jharkin »

Sow's Ear Mal wrote:Ah...love all those old windows.

Dont get jealous of mine... they are just 70s (i guess) vintage with those evil aluminum spring tracks.

But I did managed to get all 4 deglazed without completely destroying them. Only broke 6 panes. Now they sit for a few days to dry before I tackle the other side and start prepping them for blop and primer.
Attachments
2015-08-25 17.42.48_resize.jpg
2015-08-25 17.42.48_resize.jpg (117.34 KiB) Viewed 67793 times
2015-08-25 17.41.53_resize.jpg
2015-08-25 17.41.53_resize.jpg (126.49 KiB) Viewed 67793 times
-Jeremy

1790~1800ish Center Chimney Cape

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

ah, the sound of chipping lead hard putty from a window sash...you didn't need me to tell you the best way to remove putty! yup, for production work, steaming is the way to go...using a heatgun or not, make sure to use a very SHARP chisel with plenty of hand control...using a SHARP utility blade to separate the putty from the wood at the top of the glazing bar helps too...really, you just need SHARP tools, patience and endurance to get the glass out...the rewards come later...Jeremy, I see a two gallon bucket of sarco there!!

so nice to see everyone's beautiful work and labor of love shine through!
...jade

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

I finished installing this beast!

IMG_3990 copy.jpg
IMG_3990 copy.jpg (59.01 KiB) Viewed 67782 times

that's an 85 gallon water heater, all six feet of it! Why so big? Our water hear is on a reduced rate time switch and the service requires a large tank to be viable. This beastie replaced a 1970s "lifetime"tank which was underlagged and half full of limescale. This thing is 100% plastic and absolutely cold to the touch on the outside... I'm hoping we see a reduction in our electric bill with it, though the water portion of our bill was not huge each month anyway.

We considered switching to an on demand heater, but were unsure that it would handle our very hard water, and would have meant we would lose the half price deal we get on the electric for the existing setup.

P.S. It is actually upright (only thing in the house that is), it was the photographer that was listing :lol:
Mick...

jharkin
Stalwart

Post by jharkin »

heartwood wrote:ah, the sound of chipping lead hard putty from a window sash...you didn't need me to tell you the best way to remove putty! yup, for production work, steaming is the way to go...using a heatgun or not, make sure to use a very SHARP chisel with plenty of hand control...using a SHARP utility blade to separate the putty from the wood at the top of the glazing bar helps too...really, you just need SHARP tools, patience and endurance to get the glass out...the rewards come later...Jeremy, I see a two gallon bucket of sarco there!!

so nice to see everyone's beautiful work and labor of love shine through!
...jade

A chisel, eh? Maybe thats where I went wrong, I was using just the heat gun and an angled putty knife.... made a mess of the wood in some spots.

Yep thats a gallon bucket... i used up all the sample you sent me (thanks :) ) and figured it was time to pony up the $$ for the big bucket.

In other news I need to get a better heat gun. My little hobby unit (say 1000w but it only does 400f or so) just doesn't get hot enough. I think I like the idea of going to just the heat for paint removal... Soygel worked a bit better than the old citrus stuff but still is such a mess....
-Jeremy

1790~1800ish Center Chimney Cape

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

yup, a 5/8" Stanley chisel will work wonders...got to have a strong steady hand...if you don't when you start, you will when you finish! we all chip out some wood when starting out or for the most seasoned person when the putty is rock hard...if you run out of putty and just need a little to finish up, you know where to find me....

mick, that is a beast! hope it helps out with the electric bill....

...jade

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

picked up my Fiberglass stuff for my 6x12 front deck. 360 bucks (Canuck pesos are 75 cents on the dollar US now.. ) That was for all I need Glass, resin, brushes, rollers, buckets, non skid additive ( fancy sand).. 72 sq ft .. it's 5 bucks a square foot. Not the cheapest way to go but it'll last longer than I do and i can hose it off with a little bleach water once a year.

Forcast for rain tonight and constant rain all weekend, Drats! I'll throw up a tarp and hope that keeps the rain off. It does have most of a roof so I'm not completely out in the weather.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

More what I am about to do...

Real estate agent is coming by to appraise the 1.5 acre lot next to us today, maybe I will the owner of an ancient orchard and 1800 cellar hole in the near future :thumbup:
Mick...

oaktree
Forgotten more than most know

Post by oaktree »

Mick, that is really exciting!!!!
1862 Greek Revival Farmhouse, Michigan

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

what kind of fruit trees? sounds so cool. Hope you get it Mick
Phil

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

phil wrote:what kind of fruit trees? sounds so cool. Hope you get it Mick
Phil

All apples I think. I went and walked the lot with the agent, its quite overgrown, but I saw several very large apple trees, and there were apples absolutely everywhere on the ground (it has been a good year for them this year). Agent is going to go away and do her research then let us know what she thinks it is worth. Fingers crossed... I have a good feeling that we will end up buying it - just depends if we can agree the price with our neighbor.
Mick...