What I did at my house today...

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
jharkin
Stalwart

Re: What I did at my house today...

Post by jharkin »

Mick_VT wrote:Doing two sets of 6 over 6 at once would drive me nuts Jeremy - good job on only 1 cracked pane.

Well so far I only have the putty completely out of one sash, and I have not started to work on pulling the points out yet.... the others are being a bit more tenacious....

what have I got myself into !!! eeek.. mayday mayday help Jade - whats the best way to loosen hard putty? let soygel sit on it for a week or heat gun or what?
-Jeremy

1790~1800ish Center Chimney Cape

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

I bet Jade will say use a steambox (instructions for building one in the Library here). I intended to build one but then reverted to what I know (a heat gun), it doesn't take a whole lot of heat to soften it, less than paint stripping. I protect the glass while doing it with an old baking sheet.

I have found the worse shape the glazing is in, the more likely the pane will crack, I think due to the uneven support from deteriorated glazing putty.
Mick...

jharkin
Stalwart

Post by jharkin »

I know she would say it... but at this point its probably more effort to build one then just finish with the heat gun. After these windows I just have 3 more to do in the bedroom (probably next spring) and the house is done - the remaining windows are in good shape as-is.
-Jeremy

Graywings
Settling in

Post by Graywings »

I am scraping paint off the sashes of window 9 of 13 in my circa 1902 house. 2-over2's. The panes are out and soaking before I clean them.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

my front porch had old t+G flooring and under that is storeage for canned goods etc. The PO had put 3/8 plywood over the T and G and that helped a little to keep the melteed snow and wind blown rain that finds it's way on to the front porch from dripping below but it was still not really sealed.

since I rebuilt my front stairs I allowed for the finished floor hieght to be just a tad higher. I took up the old 3/8 ply and started laying some nice sanded 1/2" ply instead. I have some thick industrial vinyl and I am hoping I can successfully fit the vinyl and contact cement it down. I will make some cant strips so the edges will form a bit of a dish shape so hpefully it helps to keep it drieer below and hopefully there is enough slope to shed any water. It does have a roof so it is covered from most of the rain but I just wanted to clean it up.

right now I am a bit scared I will cut the vinyl wrong or that contact cement might actually do bad things to the vinyl I could do fiberglass like I did on my back porch instead bit it seemed like overkill for an area that is already kind of sheltered

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

phil wrote:my front porch had old t+G flooring and under that is storeage for canned goods etc. The PO had put 3/8 plywood over the T and G and that helped a little to keep the melteed snow and wind blown rain that finds it's way on to the front porch from dripping below but it was still not really sealed.

since I rebuilt my front stairs I allowed for the finished floor hieght to be just a tad higher. I took up the old 3/8 ply and started laying some nice sanded 1/2" ply instead. I have some thick industrial vinyl and I am hoping I can successfully fit the vinyl and contact cement it down. I will make some cant strips so the edges will form a bit of a dish shape so hpefully it helps to keep it drieer below and hopefully there is enough slope to shed any water. It does have a roof so it is covered from most of the rain but I just wanted to clean it up.

right now I am a bit scared I will cut the vinyl wrong or that contact cement might actually do bad things to the vinyl I could do fiberglass like I did on my back porch instead bit it seemed like overkill for an area that is already kind of sheltered

I dotn think we ever saw finished pics of those stairs did we? <hint> <hint> :D
Mick...

Sow's Ear Mal
Stalwart

Post by Sow's Ear Mal »

Gothichome wrote:Mal, been a long time since you able to vacuume without putting on your work boots I take it. Did you folks ever find the side panels for your other windows?

Yeah. Turns out I hate vacuuming either way. ;) Re windows: I ran out of useable material from the one source, so I had to rebuild my remaining two windows with other salvage. And sice I can't reproduce the blue patina, I had to paint these others. Here's the result..
P1011031.JPG
P1011031.JPG (60.49 KiB) Viewed 62198 times

jharkin
Stalwart

Post by jharkin »

I took the afternoon off work and got 3 of 4 sash stripped. Amazingly I only broke 4 out of 18 glass panes so far getting the putty and glass out.

They are in pretty good shape overall... I made a mess of some of the rabbets chipping putty out but luckily the new putty will hide that :) (cheating)... Now I have to decide if Im going to strip the inside to bare wood and then let them all dry out a few days before oil and primer.
Attachments
2015-08-24 13.14.19.jpg
2015-08-24 13.14.19.jpg (371.3 KiB) Viewed 62192 times
-Jeremy

Sow's Ear Mal
Stalwart

Post by Sow's Ear Mal »

Ah...love all those old windows. Here, we have steel doors and vinyl windows, but I will not denigrate the previous owner because I know what it costs to heat an old place during an Ontario winter. I did, however, add false muntins on the uppers. Can't do so on the lowers or I won't be able to open them. Anyway---here's my little bit of progress. I needed to replace the missing trim around my back door, and to do so meant some time with some salvage and a heat gun. I finally got around to it. One more tick off the list. (yay)
backdoor during.JPG
backdoor during.JPG (75.91 KiB) Viewed 62175 times
backdoor after.JPG
backdoor after.JPG (74.03 KiB) Viewed 62175 times

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Well that works, what are you going to do with the framing above the door? Oh, the paneling around the other windows look great.