What I did at my house today...

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: What I did at my house today...

Post by Corsetière »

phil wrote:
spraying metallic paints can be quite challenging.

Good point about the primer! Duly noted!

I've not had any issues with applying metallic paint, but I do use the pricier stuff! ;)

It's a bit hard to see but the summer cover turned out well and I think the ceiling mediation did too.

Oh and the tub too! :D

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Lily left the valley wrote:I like how you managed to pair it with other pieces you have on hand (well, the molds, but still!). Nice progress.

Thanks! It is such a lucky find! My friend teased me when I made that mold of the original broken medallion: "How many ceiling medallion would you really want of the same pattern!"

Well apparently the answer is at least 3!!! :lol:

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Corsetière wrote:My friend teased me when I made that mold of the original broken medallion: "How many ceiling medallion would you really want of the same pattern!"

There's a better way to spend one's time? I think not.

awomanwithahammer

Post by awomanwithahammer »

Really beautiful job, Corsetiere. How did you decide on the colors for the medallion?
Bonnie

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

all those projects look stunning. great combinations of color too. You have a flair for this ! It looks like those metallics are working really well for you. what kind of paint? can you give us tips on how you are applying it?

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Manalto wrote:
Corsetière wrote:My friend teased me when I made that mold of the original broken medallion: "How many ceiling medallion would you really want of the same pattern!"

There's a better way to spend one's time? I think not.

ha ha! I know right?! What am I going to do, sit on the couch and watch tv all night?

I think he thought I should have a different style medallion for each room, which is fair. But this style is really good for a couple of rooms, so why should I fight it?!

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

awomanwithahammer wrote:Really beautiful job, Corsetiere. How did you decide on the colors for the medallion?

Thanks!
lol! Good question! It was what I had around the house that still looked nice with the bathroom wall color and tub. :lol:

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

phil wrote:all those projects look stunning. great combinations of color too. You have a flair for this ! It looks like those metallics are working really well for you. what kind of paint? can you give us tips on how you are applying it?

Thanks! At first I was worried I went overboard with color on the medallion but when I held it up to the ceiling it looks a little more muted. I did bring the tub down a shade from the original teal by lightly misting it with a bronze/gold. Color is really tricky! I like rich colors but I don't want to cross the line into what my friend calls "Crazy Grammies" territory. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sure, I am using mostly the Modern Masters metallic paints, though I often mix them with themselves and layer them over other brand opaques. They are very easy to work with but a little more expensive - around $10 for 6 oz, but you can get it in larger quantities for a bit of a break I think. The bright gold is actual Italian gold leaf. I actually airbrushed the tub and the summer cover but just used a brush on the medallion. When I use gold leaf, I seal with Dux Paints Artists & Gilders Protective Coating, Top Coat Clear Gloss Acrylic. And on the tub exterior body I used the Modern Masters Clear Coat (I don't remember the exact name). :)

awomanwithahammer

Post by awomanwithahammer »

Corsetière wrote:
awomanwithahammer wrote:Really beautiful job, Corsetiere. How did you decide on the colors for the medallion?

Thanks!
lol! Good question! It was what I had around the house that still looked nice with the bathroom wall color and tub. :lol:

Sounds like a good way to pick colors to me! When I paint my walls, I just mix up whatever's around. I also buy mistint returns in (mostly) neutral colors. Yes, it often turns out to be "greige" but for resale, it works perfectly well. I have more color in my own house, but of course, that's a personal choice. Nobody else has to like it, but I do like your choices. Looks very rich!
Bonnie

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Today we took a quick round about the yard and making best guesses as to what projects would get finished this year and what wouldn't. I'm wanting the focus so we can just finish something already. (Yep. I'm getting to that point.)

We are sort of mired in started but not finished stuff. The heat this week has been weirdly hard because we were used to the fall weather and now? Near 90°F days are making us like slugs. The weather folk keep saying "tomorrow it will be cooler", but then it isn't. :roll: It's 88° right now at 5:30pm. I am not a hot weather gal. If this keeps up, I'm going to have to start early morning work again which isn't fun because I'm a natural night owl.

I am trying to get to the point where at least one of the projects is done this week. Then the weather hit today and Sean was all "no way am I digging in this heat". We were supposed to move the hollies today, but, nope. I have a sneaking suspicion I will be doing most of the digging if I want to get them moved this year. :P

My focus has also been creating/prepping the beds out front where the side lilies will be transplanted (sooo many pips!), then I can clear out all the seashells that were in that side bed, and then set the stones I pulled from the extended landing in the ground there for a walkway along that side of the house between side porch and front yard, as we currently don't have one next to the driveway. I originally was going to use sand for setting and do them "properly", but since we won't have time to encourage ground cover to grow, I know the stones will likely shift anyhoo because of the regrade with no cover to root. So I'll do that in the spring rather than have to buy sand twice.

So back inside we went, and instead continued to clean and straighten up inside in anticipation for the parental visit this weekend. It's slow but steady progress. The parlor might even be ready for an updated picture soon, where it looks like some semblance of a living space rather than the Craig's List selling room. :lol:

I have to say, that progress has been refreshing, even though I feel like the yard had a giant countdown clock attached to it. I know we'll be lucky to get 1/3 of what we planned done this year. Part of me is totally cool with it, but now with how little we've gotten done this week, I'm fretting we won't even get that much done.

Time will tell!

Corsetière wrote:ha ha! I know right?! What am I going to do, sit on the couch and watch tv all night?
You have a TV? Luxury!

I sort of kid, as nowadays we just watch things on our computers. It is nice, though, to not have one in the parlor. It's going to make this weekend visit interesting, because my in-laws are notorious for always having the TV on in their house. They even leave a small one in the kitchen on for their dog when they're not home. :crazy:
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.