What I did at my house today...

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Gothichome

Re: What I did at my house today...

Post by Gothichome »

Well this thread can use a bit of an update, what I did, well a couple of days ago, stopped by our local Habitat sore, scored a large 42X48 sheet of wavy glass. If I don’t screw up I can get two full panes for my sashes. Or enough to do a full storm. Often it’s the small things that make me smile.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

Ive been away from the forum but the latest project has been my toilet. I picked up a wooden tank, one that mounts to the wall behind the toilet. It has the hand blown float intact and the glass Jar like flapper thing. the lid is missing but Ill just plan to make that.

I was searchign for a bowl and found a perfect one for free so I was lucky. I used some different products but foound CLR removed the calcium int he bottom of the bowl so that looks good. It has one tiny hairline crack but I think its just the porcelain coating and not substantial.

I got a repro tank with the new bowl and the L shaped pipe. I might try to buy a new one or have it rechromed. Ill probably also have to buy the visible fittings for the tub and the parts for the curtain but i have the tub ready too.

I'm hoping to eventually just gut what's there and do some period friendly tile. It has I guess a 50's tub and a little wall to house the plumbing. I think Ill remove all that to make way for the clawfoot tub. I had quite a time moving it into the house by myself but I sed a lot of blocking and slid it on planks and eventually got it painted on the outside and into the kitchen. It now sits under my pool table..

I got sidetracked into a 1952 to 1964 era 3'x6' Brunswick pool table. it was made for home use similar to the 70's 4x8s that the department stores used to sell but its a bit better, it has a wooden subframe and it's got orange lacquer which was in nice shape.

It needed new rubber and cloth and I had to retrofit he rails to fit a newer stile of larger rubber. I cut off 10mm and moved the groove that captures the cloth ,, after much work refitting the rails with new rubber and building up the pocket edges
I put a new and much flatter MDF top over the old one and made some profile molding to fill the gap around the edge. I ordered cloth but it was cheap junk so I used some older snooker cloth. the pockets were rubber and I found some 1/4" and 1/8" sheet rubber and made my own but lined them with the cheapo plastic buckets.. It worked out really well and Ive been playing with some guys that are real experts and so I have this little table at home to practice on . I made the pockets a bit smaller so it is a bit more challenging. now we can play when we like and my girlfriend is pretty good so it's a challenge to beat her. slowly I'm gaining some confidence and learning. Its been really fun but a big distraction from the house projects. I used to play a bit in my high school days and the skills didn't really diminish so much, of course my eyesight was better but it's mostly short distance I have issues with so it isn't affecting me too badly.

my friend has a beautiful 1930's slate 6'x 12' table so it's a bit like going from one extreme to the other but It's all fun, even the crappiest of tables can be an evenly matched game. a lot of them are serious 9 ball players so I'm learning that too but Im certainly no match for some of those players.. i heled a bit with the restoration of that table. It's quite a thing of beauty, all oak, slate it has steel plates inside the rails so the bounce is very silent. It's a joy to play on. he had a pro do the cushions and cloth.

i joined my local senior center and got my old fogie membership card so Ive been meaning to go there and learn too;) I should be a young whipershnapper over there.. ;-)

I might move it in the living room, we feel a bit like the beverley hillbillies with a pool table in the kitchen, there is some funny clips of that on U tube where they call it their billyards table. The billyyard is though to be a rhino as they had a mounted rhino head on the wall, and the billyards table was evidently made heavy to serve up a whole billyard ;-) the sticks are called pot passers. I haven't notched my pot passers yet ;-)

the big tables can sometimes be found for free, people just dont want to give up the space they need. this one being just little was a trade off so I dont have to give up the whole living room.. I might move up to a slate one at some point. I learned a lot about recovering them by doing this one so I learned through the process and taught myself quite a bit from youtube videos and such.

having fun, glad to see the forum still rolling along !

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Phill, fitting your antique tank to an antique toilet can be a challenge nothing new on the store shelves fits any more, but you are a creative problem solver, I look forward to seeing how you manage it.
Ron

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Phil, it's good to see you posting again. Looking forward to throne photos!

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Well, happy to report I finally got of my azz and back to the bathroom project, today I sealed the drywall getting ready for wallpaper.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Well another ‘what did I do’ weekend. Fussed with the gardens, got two of my three basement window wells cleaned out and started another window.

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

Stripped PAINt from three of these beauties.....
PXL_20220921_011822830.jpg
PXL_20220921_011822830.jpg (325.93 KiB) Viewed 32050 times
a special HGTV farmhouse level of hell is reserved for people who paint over things like this with house PAINt.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

I've condemned previous owners to the agonizing depths of eternal damnation for lesser offenses. Conversely, an enchanted corner of Heaven is reserved for those who rescue these defiled treasures from the maw of the mindless fad. Nicely done!

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Neighmond, good to see your name on a post! Those are great, and you have three matching is even better. How did you manage to get the paint off without removing the original paint? Most of these I have seen were over glaze painted, or at least I thought they were over painted.
You will need to find some frosted large bulbs now. Also if I am not mistaken in the period you could get fancy modded bulbs for these.
We’re are you going to instal them, a hallway or spread them about the rooms?
Ron

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

I warshed (with a "r") in room temperature water and blue dawn dish detergent. It came off in a vile tarry nicotine scented clump!

They are going into the clock house, to replace some nasssssty old dime a dozen fixtures.