What I did at my house today...

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
phil
Has many leather bound books

Re: What I did at my house today...

Post by phil »

Lily left the valley wrote:

We have a wet somewhat mild Nor'easter today. So I go to check, and hear the tell tale "drip drip drip", then see the puddle and...we'll be looking at this more later when it dries up a bit.

when I redid my electrical I had to buy this boot. it's a piece of tin with a rubber boot to surround the electrical conduit you can probably just slip it over the pipe and .. If you dont; find it in plumbing check in electrical. I'd use one of those with a little roof patch and fasten it down with tar underneath to get a good seal.

If you want the work I guess you could move the old cast iron, cut it off and use a rubber boot to join between the cast and your new plastic pipe. in a perfect world that could be in the wall so you didn't see it. I'd just fix the leak unless the pipe bugs you. Probably there was a lead boot or whatever, way back they used lead. The last roofers probably skipped putting it back. I guess you are loosing a little heat in winter. you could probably do a patch without using the boot if it's expensive but it should be a common part.

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

phil wrote:
Lily left the valley wrote:

We have a wet somewhat mild Nor'easter today. So I go to check, and hear the tell tale "drip drip drip", then see the puddle and...we'll be looking at this more later when it dries up a bit.

when I redid my electrical I had to buy this boot. it's a piece of tin with a rubber boot to surround the electrical conduit you can probably just slip it over the pipe and .. If you dont; find it in plumbing check in electrical. I'd use one of those with a little roof patch and fasten it down with tar underneath to get a good seal.

If you want the work I guess you could move the old cast iron, cut it off and use a rubber boot to join between the cast and your new plastic pipe. in a perfect world that could be in the wall so you didn't see it. I'd just fix the leak unless the pipe bugs you. Probably there was a lead boot or whatever, way back they used lead. The last roofers probably skipped putting it back. I guess you are loosing a little heat in winter. you could probably do a patch without using the boot if it's expensive but it should be a common part.
I'm confused, Phil. As far as I know, there's no electrical anything. This is just the bath venting, not a bath fan vent. Is that what you thought I meant?

I am curious about the rubber booting though. I'll look into that if only for curiosity's sake.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Lily left the valley

Post by Lily left the valley »

Oh, and today was an empty boxes and bake day since it was quite chilly outside and cloudy all day. Finally found the last of my bulbs and pips, and am worried because the box was near a radiator since the move. :roll: I'll plant the iris and lilies of the valley come fall and we'll see. The glads will have to wait until spring.

Did find a few more bits of hardware and tools. Not much visual progress, but those days happen too!

I used up some leftover bits (noodles, cheese, box milk, crackers) today by making baked macaroni & cheese. I also experimented a bit from the recipe I usually use (an Urban Peasant), and instead tried some worcestershire sauce, tumeric and nutmeg instead of mustard and cayenne. Not too bad with a Vermont Sharp base! I put black olives on my side of the baking dish since Sean doesn't like them so much. I forgot to take a "before" shot, and ...there's barely enough leftover for my lunch tomorrow. :lol:

Sean, since I made dinner, decided to make dessert. Cream cheese pound cake (using the Phily recipe you can find online). That, we're eating right now! I like to toast it and sprinkle confectioner's sugar on top.
Image Image
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Today I did battle with the post office, who has not been delivering my mail; I had been wondering where the hardware and sash cord I ordered were, so I looked up my order on line and it said (Delivered - Held at Post Office). No notification from the carrier, just holding my mail, presumably until I figured it out. This problem is about my mail box, which hangs on the house according to historic district regulations, and the post office's request/demand that I get an RFD-stlye box at the curb, complicated by the carrier's fear of dogs, supposedly. I don't mean to be unsympathetic but ask a room full of six year-olds, "What's a problem when you're a mailman?" and at least one of them will shout, "Dogs!" Did you not know what you were getting yourself into when you took a job for the Post Office?

After that, I did something different today and volunteered at the Mobile Botanical Garden. I want to show my support and get to know the "plant people" in town, so today I pruned in the azalea garden with the garden curator. The Garden was closed today, so it was peaceful except for our horticultural blathering.

Upon my return home, I put a second coat of paint on one side of the house and, true to form, the sky got dark and it began to drizzle. (Note to self: If you ever get another house in this part of the world, be sure it's brick.) As soon as the painting stuff was put away, rigorously adhering to Murphy's Law, the sun came out and the sky cleared. So I launched into Phase II clearing of the wild growth that has consumed the perimeter of the property. This particular corner is choked with a thorny Smilax vine that finds its way to the tops of the trees to bask in the sun. Smilax must be dug; if pulled, the vine will snap off, leaving a tuber underground that will regenerate. Judging by the sheer number of vines and their size, this property has been neglected for many years. Digging each vine would be too time consuming, so I left about 2-3' sticking out of the ground to return to later. This process revealed the property line markers, which is good to know.

While still in filthy garden mode, I took a short walk down the street and rustled two small clumps of Aspidistra, AKA Cast Iron Plant, from the abandoned house down the street. A classic Victorian houseplant and a staple of mall indoor landscaping, it's a common groundcover here, thriving in shade and dry conditions, which in rainy Gulf Coast means competition with the roots of other plants. I put one clump at the foundation under the big oak and a tiny clump in a pot to bring back to Connecticut - if I have room. Its 'Cast Iron' moniker comes from its ability to survive just about any adverse conditions; if you manage to kill Aspidistra, you will surely receive the coveted Black Thumb Award.

Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Texas_Ranger »

I have never taken apart a carburetor but the $17 carburetor rebuild kit arrived for our Briggs & Stratton lawn mower engine so, I guess, I'll be doing that tomorrow. It cost $80 and 12 days of waiting, two years ago, to have the carburetor cleaned and the fuel filter replaced during a tune-up.

Check Mustie1's channel on Youtube and watch a few of his engine videos before you do that! He's got some incredibly great tutorial-style videos on fixing up old equipment and particularly carbs!

Re: wallpaper steamers: seems like people either love or hate them. I'm in the latter department, the small B&D steamer my aunt borrowed us was heavy, horribly inefficient and dripped hot condensate all over the place. If you tried steaming more than a 1 m square section the first parts were dry before you finished steaming the section. With the steamer I was lucky to get half a wall done on one day, with a big brush and a bucket of cold water I got half a room done.

Transom windows are a mixed blessing, as are glass panes in doors and having spent most of my life in a bedroom with glass panes in the door (probably originally meant to be the living room but pretty far from the kitchen for eating there) and I can totally understand why someone would cover them up! It's not nice trying to sleep when you bedroom gets bright every time someone turns on the hall light!

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Texas_Ranger wrote:
Transom windows... I can totally understand why someone would cover them up! It's not nice trying to sleep when you bedroom gets bright every time someone turns on the hall light!

I don't know why 7.5 and 15 watt bulbs aren't more popular in spaces where you merely have to navigate without stubbing a toe or plunging down the stairwell. Are folks also performing open-heart surgery in their upstairs hallways, or slathering on the Sea & Ski?

phil

Post by phil »

here's what I meant by the boot. If houses are wired pole to pole, they used to just stick the end of the wire to the house, but in more modern electrical installations it is preferable to run the mast up the side of the house and through the roof where it supports the line above the roof line. mine had those connections too close to a window, you could touch them from the window so they made the window tip open hinging from the top.

wen i rewired and installed a new panel and meter we also added the mast.

anyway wheather its for plumbing or an electrical bast I think the same part would work, there might be a diferent one for plumbing and also there are different ones for a sloped roof or flat roof.

https://www.amazon.com/Residential-Retr ... B0099XGDI2

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

The professional tree trimmers trimmed the offending branches that were scraping my roof. These were the guys that had the lowest quote - but also seemed the most sensible in speaking with them when they came to quote. I was surprised when they showed up in a big truck and had headsets to communicate. (Never having used tree trimming services before maybe this is par for the course ?)

Including tax this was about $ 500.00. Contrast this to the dudes pouring a cement patio across the street who helpfully offered to do this for the bargain price of
$900.00(for ONE tree), and a different tree company who gave me a quote full of upsell for $ 1800.00. And the guy who said he'd call me back but never did. The tree trimmer dudes trimmed all the overhanging branches adjacent to the house, and I didn't have to spend a second asking them to do more.

My pockets are emptier but this was still much less expensive than having to replace the shingles on that side of the house. Anyhow - A+ for those guys.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Willa wrote:I was surprised when they showed up in a big truck and had headsets to communicate. (Never having used tree trimming services before maybe this is par for the course ?)...

Including tax this was about $ 500.00.

The boom truck is becoming the norm; old school is the guy with cleats and harnesses who climbs up into the tree with a chainsaw. My neighbor can do this with impressive strength and skill, but - he just bought a boom truck. You are, of course, paying a premium for the equipment, so I'd say you got a good deal for the work done, and the peace of mind is well worth it.

phil

Post by phil »

Manalto volunteers to help pruning, then stops by home to non nonchalantly ahem... throw a coat of paint on one side of the house and goes out to tackle giant weeds... man you are a machine ! ;-)