What I did at my house today...

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: What I did at my house today...

Post by Manalto »

I think he means he got it at Habitat for Humanity ReStore. It's like the Salvation Army or Goodwill - they accept donations of building materials - and the profits go to HFH.

Lily left the valley

Post by Lily left the valley »

Manalto wrote:I think he means he got it at Habitat for Humanity ReStore. It's like the Salvation Army or Goodwill - they accept donations of building materials - and the profits go to HFH.
That was one guess, but I didn't want to assume. I'm more used to folks calling such "ReStore X".
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

Hoo boy! I have a lot of catching up to do--both at my house and at the District! Just got back from my two-week trip last night. I didn't have wi-fi during a lot of it; just enough to be able to read updates but not enough to post.

Y'all have been a busy bunch!
Bonnie

Lily left the valley

Post by Lily left the valley »

I have tried to remember when winds change to check certain bits of our 1/2 story that I worried could have problems. This is especially true of the southern half, as that was not updated when the northern half of the roof was prior to the sale. Of gravest concern was the vent pipe in the walk-in closet in the East bedroom.

We have a wet somewhat mild Nor'easter today. So I go to check, and hear the tell tale "drip drip drip", then see the puddle and...we'll be looking at this more later when it dries up a bit. Looks like we might be getting a taller ladder after all this pay cycle. I did put a dollar store shower curtain down for splash protection after I mopped the floor up and made sure it was as dry as could be after snapping this hastily. As you can tell from the wood coloration in the photo below (and the reason I had suspicions), this is not the first time. Not too bad though, and no sign of ceiling issues in the kitchen below.

From the Did Not Want to be Right Department:
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Mick_VT wrote:
Corsetière wrote:All clean! I honestly can't believe it is almost done. It seemed like it would stretch on forever. lol

Staining tomorrow....

Awesome job! Is the room trim next? I'm assuming that is also the same oak?

Yes, oak too, I think. I would like to do the trim or mantle next but I think I am going to have to make a list of the places they tested for lead in my house and do those first. :(

I think the front door is a good one to knock off the list next...

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Corsetière wrote:I think I am going to have to make a list of the places they tested for lead in my house and do those first. :(

Grrrr... but understandable! Been meaning to ask, what is the deal with the windows on the stairs, they look to have had the glass painted over?
Mick...

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Crazy, crazy happened here. That's why they painted the windows and the woodwork. lol!
They actually sided over them too on the outside, so I will eventually remove that and open everything up.

Stayed up til 12:30am but I got it washed and stained last night!

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Lily left the valley wrote:
We have a wet somewhat mild Nor'easter today. So I go to check, and hear the tell tale "drip drip drip", then see the puddle and...we'll be looking at this more later when it dries up a bit.

I had this exact issue recently. Turns out they just never bothered to flash one of the vent pipes. :roll:

vvzz
Been here a while

Post by vvzz »

Corsetière wrote:
Lily left the valley wrote:
We have a wet somewhat mild Nor'easter today. So I go to check, and hear the tell tale "drip drip drip", then see the puddle and...we'll be looking at this more later when it dries up a bit.

I had this exact issue recently. Turns out they just never bothered to flash one of the vent pipes. :roll:

Lol, I have another one along the same lines. The old cast iron vent for the second floor bathroom exists through the wall and goes up outside(pretty common in old houses) At some point the interior portion of the vent was disconnected and the tub vented via a newer pvc stack. So during strong rains that cast iron vent drips into the bathroom. I only discovered this after I gutted the bathroom as the vent was walled in.

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

Corsetière wrote:Crazy, crazy happened here. That's why they painted the windows and the woodwork. lol!
They actually sided over them too on the outside, so I will eventually remove that and open everything up.

The siding over of windows is just inexplicable to me. Imagine how different the stairs (and the whole house) will feel with those windows exposed again.

You're doing an amazing job of stripping all those spindles - wow. It looks great.