What I did at my house today...

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Gothichome

Re: What I did at my house today...

Post by Gothichome »

A busy weekend, got the kitchen ceiling sheeted and taped.

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

Work on the kitchen and powder room continues.

The powder room walls and ceilings are a MESS. The previous owner had stuffed a cheap shower, toilet and sink into a 4 x 6' room. When the shower was taken out it was revealed that the PO had removed the original wainscotting and haphazardly installed some drywall here, some MDF there, and some nightmarishly thick 12 x 12 ceramic tiles. There were also many layers of shaggy wallpaper, all sprayed over with the terrible turmeric yellow paint, including the ceiling. The contractor had to level the walls before any drywall could go up. He has suffered through all of this with good humour at least. While I am psychologically resistant to drywall as a remedy - the amount of scraping, patching and remediating the walls and ceiling would be daunting and drywall would need to be patched in anyway for the lower 1/3 of the walls where the tongue and groove boards are gone. I am using 1/4"drywall where there is door or window trim, and 3/8" on the other walls.

Antique trim has been installed around the door. The trim seller had these unusual corner blocks with the trim lot. The original trim had been trimmed down to fit the shower, and the only long piece was harvested to replace the kitchen trim on the doorway that faces the dining room.

About 18 months ago I was driving with my friend and we passed a 1920's apartment building that had worker dudes and tools out front. Just as we passed I spotted the medicine cabinet being carried out to the dumpster. Of course the car screeched to a halt as my friend jumped out to ask if we could have it ! It was choked under many layers of paint and came with one free (live) cockroach. I stripped the paint inside and out and was happy to discover the original glass knob. A space for this has been roughed in.

I replaced the broken glass in the lower sash with textured glass. I spent hours scraping the 1970's privacy film off the upper window, which was very brittle and would only come off in postage stamp pieces that left a sticky residue. The room is much improved with a brighter window with no broken glass.

The subfloor is down for the Restore tile floor, and I am filling and priming the antique baseboards(also from the trim seller). The pipes in the corner get boxed in. The room is slowly beginning to appear more sane. I will be a little sad to cover up the strange art deco wallpaper.

_DSC0015.JPG
_DSC0015.JPG (1.29 MiB) Viewed 300 times

_DSC0014.JPG
_DSC0014.JPG (1.06 MiB) Viewed 300 times

_DSC0021.JPG
_DSC0021.JPG (739.28 KiB) Viewed 300 times

_DSC0019.JPG
_DSC0019.JPG (666.88 KiB) Viewed 300 times

Bonus: On my way to pick up a (terrible) pizza last night I spotted a second empire chaise on the curb. The frame was in very good condition but it weighed a ton (sold wood). It was still there this morning so the contractor loaded it into his truck for me. I did a careful bedbug check and it passed. It is now in the back porch, waiting for the renovation hurricane to be over so it can get reupholstered.

_DSC0028.jpg
_DSC0028.jpg (1.26 MiB) Viewed 300 times

* Argh ! Sideways photos ! Why won't whatever recognize my camera's orientation ?

Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Corsetière »

Willa wrote:Bonus: On my way to pick up a (terrible) pizza last night I spotted a second empire chaise on the curb. The frame was in very good condition but it weighed a ton (sold wood). It was still there this morning so the contractor loaded it into his truck for me. I did a careful bedbug check and it passed. It is now in the back porch, waiting for the renovation hurricane to be over so it can get reupholstered.

_DSC0028.jpg

* Argh ! Sideways photos ! Why won't whatever recognize my camera's orientation ?

OH MAN! That is a killer dumpster find!!! Lucky woman! :D

I have officially begun my "Lead Abatement Plan" in earnest yesterday. I have a list of tasks that I am going through one at a time to address each of them. Some (like door casings and baseboards) are super simple like just repainting while others (like door jambs being friction surfaces) will require stripping. It just reinforces how silly this all is because pretty much everything is a temporary measure... :roll: The real challenge will be the cleaning process but I have the necessary info to handle it...

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

Corsetiere: Will the City Of Columbus pay you to be your own lead abatement contractor ?

If not, why not ?

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Willa wrote:Corsetiere: Will the City Of Columbus pay you to be your own lead abatement contractor ?

If not, why not ?

Nope. I considered that too, but I guess there is too much opportuniity for corruption in situations like these. :roll:

Jeepnstein
Been here a good while

Post by Jeepnstein »

Finally installed the sink. Looks simple, except for having to dig a water line, a drain, and all the rest. But she got her sink. Now it's too cold to enjoy.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Kitchen ceiling ready for paint, completed the last bit of final sanding this evening.

awomanwithahammer

Post by awomanwithahammer »

Nice-looking, Jeep. Spring will be here eventually!

Today I scraped and sanded trim. As well as Saturday, yesterday and tomorrow...Thursday I'm having minor hand surgery to release a trigger finger, so it'll put me out of commission for a couple of weeks.
Bonnie

awomanwithahammer

Post by awomanwithahammer »

Corsetiere, how goes the notice to vacate situation? I assume that since you are doing the lead abatement thing, the city has decided to back off? I tried to find your original post about this, but haven't been able to. Just wanted to get an update.
Bonnie

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

awomanwithahammer wrote:Corsetiere, how goes the notice to vacate situation? I assume that since you are doing the lead abatement thing, the city has decided to back off? I tried to find your original post about this, but haven't been able to. Just wanted to get an update.

Yeah I just had Mick remove my post because it was not providing me with any benefit at all.

Funny you should ask.. :lol: I have finally found a lawyer who would take my case seriously and just in time too, because last week I received a summons and I'm getting called into court tomorrow. They are threatening to board up my house because I have not yet provided evidence of the abatement. So my lawyer thinks that we will be able to get me enough time for me to abate it. I literally just completed the abatement course on Oct 27th and so there is no way I could have passed the final lead risk assessment exam without that class. It would have been certain failure.

I'm really well prepared for court tomorrow. I am confident with my abatement plan. I have receipts dating my purchase of supplies for this issue, copies of numerous emails to the health department showing I have been working on this, my certificate from the 40 hour class I took, and a professional photographer friend just created a printed before and after portfolio of all the work I have done. I just popped in to this thread to share the photos with you all. If you are the praying sort, pray for me tomorrow, send good juju, or light a candle. It is about to get real here.

She still has a ways to go but there's been a ton of improvement. Can't wait to remove the laminate flooring, strip the baseboards, and paint the walls. :)