What I did at my house today...

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: What I did at my house today...

Post by Corsetière »

Gothichome wrote:Corcetiere, light looks fine. It is on a chain though. When the wind blows it’s going to swing all over the place. I have seen period fixes for that, decorative chain connected to the walls and the lamp. Hold it in place

I'll keep any eye out for it on the next windy day. It might not be that big of a deal because I think I am pretty protected being fairly snug between two other buildings.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Corcetiere, one of our neighbors here in the district foiled thier numbers for the transom, can’t remember who though. I believe they ordered them on line.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

http://www.phillytransom.com/ has a site devoted to them (I like Kingpetrocks) and Etsy also has a bunch.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Gothichome wrote:Corcetiere, one of our neighbors here in the district foiled thier numbers for the transom, can’t remember who though. I believe they ordered them on line.

I think you are thinking of StoneHouseGuy and the amazing job he did on his front door:

StoneHouseGuy wrote:viewtopic.php?t=12104
Mick...

Jeepnstein
Been here a good while

Post by Jeepnstein »

Been there with the lead issue. It'll be an ongoing battle but now you hold all the cards. Trust me when I say that the .gov doesn't really do well against a licensed contractor who isn't worried about getting paid .gov money. By getting the certification you put yourself in the best possible position on this one. Most folks would have folded and walked away from it.

Go for it on the leaded glass. Oh the irony! When I had the ODH visiting me about my son with the elevated lead levels the social worker just raved about our leaded and beveled windows. Then she realized what held it all together... It was a moment for us all.

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Jeepnstein wrote:Been there with the lead issue. It'll be an ongoing battle but now you hold all the cards. Trust me when I say that the .gov doesn't really do well against a licensed contractor who isn't worried about getting paid .gov money. By getting the certification you put yourself in the best possible position on this one. Most folks would have folded and walked away from it.

Go for it on the leaded glass. Oh the irony! When I had the ODH visiting me about my son with the elevated lead levels the social worker just raved about our leaded and beveled windows. Then she realized what held it all together... It was a moment for us all.

Oh, that's rich Jeepnstein! :lol:

It's been a really draining situation. I created a excel spreadsheet to layout what tasks needed to be done and it's not really all that many. Some of it just involved temporarily removing doors and so I've already knocked those off the list. I'm coming up with a lot of "work arounds" just to get through the test. It's the special cleaning that will be a real bear... I'm budgeting 4-6 weeks alone just for that.

How did you get through your situation? I don't remember if you told me? Did you hire someone to abate the property? I can't imagine how scary that had to be with kids and the potential of CPS getting involved!

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Mick_VT wrote:
Gothichome wrote:Corcetiere, one of our neighbors here in the district foiled thier numbers for the transom, can’t remember who though. I believe they ordered them on line.

I think you are thinking of StoneHouseGuy and the amazing job he did on his front door:

StoneHouseGuy wrote:viewtopic.php?t=12104

Oh, god, that's gorgeous!

I saw these doors that inspired me and I wanted to do something similar involving etching and gilding with the address number...

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Here are a couple more before and (mostly) afters from my court presentation, too. lol!
I still have to work on trim and floors in this room.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Nice. How did you correct the popcorn ceiling?

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

They did that texture over top of wallpaper. lol!
So I just cut through to the paper and saturated it all with water, then it was easy to scrape it all off!