What I did at my house today...

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: What I did at my house today...

Post by Corsetière »

Poison ivy is just awful. I am going to have to get serious about eradicating it here!

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Handsome, vigorous vine with glossy foliage that turns a brilliant red in the fall. If only it weren't for that wee inconvenience, the nurseries would have an easy sale.

ETA: Today I scraped, primed and painted the outside of six upstairs windows. It was easier to contort through the window to paint the trim from indoors than do it from the top of a wobbly ladder. A plumber came today and replaced the "J" pipe under the tub; it had rotted through and my tub was draining under the house.

Today marks one month being at this house and trying to fix it up. Boy, it went fast! I thought a lot about Ron's (Gothichome) advice to live with a space before changing things around, and took it to heart. I'm pretty adaptable anyway, and the sink's location in the serving pantry hasn't been a problem at all - except there are always dirty dishes in it!

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

I think the stair railings are actually going to get done this weekend or final coats of shellac on Monday at the latest! When that happens I am going to play Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah at maximum volume! :lol:

In other news, the city continues to threaten to force me out of my home due to the lead paint. I'm going to go update my thread "Lead Paint Stupidity" so the saga is all in once place and hopefully the information will benefit someone else one day...

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Corsetière wrote:I think the stair railings are actually going to get done this weekend or final coats of shellac on Monday at the latest!

Did someone say they wouldn't get done? The noive!

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

All clean! I honestly can't believe it is almost done. It seemed like it would stretch on forever. lol

Staining tomorrow....

Lily left the valley

Post by Lily left the valley »

Corsetière wrote:All clean! I honestly can't believe it is almost done. It seemed like it would stretch on forever. lol

Staining tomorrow....
I really do hope you are proud of the work you have done. Your tenacity alone, especially under the crazy uncertainty from the local authorities, is to be admired and cheered over. :happy-cheerleadersmileygirl: The fact that your end result looks good is even better. :D
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Thanks, Lily! Hopefully I survive this! lol!

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Corsetière wrote:All clean! I honestly can't believe it is almost done. It seemed like it would stretch on forever. lol

Staining tomorrow....

Awesome job! Is the room trim next? I'm assuming that is also the same oak?
Mick...

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Corcetiere, you do work fast, the girl standing on your newle post gets a wider smile the more you get done.
Well, this weekend I managed to get the storms swapped out. The last of my first floor original storms are now at the front, the aluminum triple tracks on the side of the house. Next year I will get two storms made to match for the other front set.By the time today's done, I Will have another sash out and ready to be restored
Worked how I'm going to mount our $15 habitat light to the front door. Also mounted an antique fire place cover to a modern space heater.

Lily left the valley

Post by Lily left the valley »

Gothichome wrote:Corcetiere, you do work fast, the girl standing on your newle post gets a wider smile the more you get done.
Well, this weekend I managed to get the storms swapped out. The last of my first floor original storms are now at the front, the aluminum triple tracks on the side of the house. Next year I will get two storms made to match for the other front set.By the time today's done, I Will have another sash out and ready to be restored
Worked how I'm going to mount our $15 habitat light to the front door. Also mounted an antique fire place cover to a modern space heater.
What's a habitat light?
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.