What I did at my house today...

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Gothichome

Re: What I did at my house today...

Post by Gothichome »

Very nice Corcetiere, with all the progress you've been making, when do you have time for movies?

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Well forecast is for twenty four hours of dry weather, after two weeks of on and off rain. Going to gamble on some out side painting today.

Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Corsetière »

Lily left the valley wrote:Oh, and what is that amazing mantle/whatever it is in that room?

Yeah, I think I gasped the first time I walked in the room and saw this mantle. :lol:
I have no idea if its original, but it sure is a beauty. I'll take a better photo of it for you after I dust it. It need some repair (like absolutely everything else). Some genius put duct tape on it at some point and broke off part of the door, too. *sigh*

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Gothichome wrote:Very nice Corcetiere, with all the progress you've been making, when do you have time for movies?

It sure isn't easy to balance especially when you work from home!

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Corsetière wrote:
Lily left the valley wrote:Some genius put duct tape on it at some point and broke off part of the door, too. *sigh*

That mantle is a stunner. What is the material in the doors? Is it glass or opaque? LED lights provide opportunities for light without heat that never existed before.

I'm evolving; rather than howling profanities, I'm learning a quiet contempt for the previous owners that festers deep in my soul. What is the deal with tape as structural repair? When has that ever worked? "My" previous owner went for the cellophane version for a number of applications - to repair a screen door, also on the window trim - along with the abundance of staples, I assume it held up an insulating layer of plastic.

Along with the rain delays, I've been procrastinating painting the "asbestos" (modern version) shingles. "If you're going to do a job, do it right" is pretty well ingrained in me, so slapping a coat of paint over something that really shouldn't be there is cause for hesitation. (to make matters worse, my neighbor has the same configuration - stucco above and wedge clapboards below, and it looks beautiful)Yet time constraints and the current condition of the house leave me little choice. Yesterday, I bit the bullet and got an early start, but at about 11 a.m. the sky started to rumble, so that was it for painting. The good news is the color (ivory) looks nice next to the stucco (a pale sand color suitably called 'Riviera Beach'); the bad news is it doesn't cover in one coat. Sigh. That dear previous owner had picked Swamp Bile Green for the shingles; they don't seem particularly dark until the ivory goes on.

I got up good and early this morning to continue painting. It's pouring rain. Maybe I'll try removing some wallpaper - which has been painted, of course.

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Manalto wrote:
Corsetière wrote:
Lily left the valley wrote:Some genius put duct tape on it at some point and broke off part of the door, too. *sigh*

That mantle is a stunner. What is the material in the doors? Is it glass or opaque? LED lights provide opportunities for light without heat that never existed before.

Thanks! I still haven't cleaned it yet, but here it is in its current state. lol!

I spent all day doing yard work so I think I will have a Manhattan on the porch and then finish stripping the glass on another transom before I pass out. :lol:

Good luck with your painting, James!

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

These two photos are are posted sheerly for everyone's amusement:

Totally safe, yeah?

And this photo is basically a microcosm of my house, half fancy and half utterly derelict! LOL!

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Corsetière wrote:

Thanks! I still haven't cleaned it yet, but here it is in its current state. lol!

High-style Craftsman! In the little door on the mantle, are the windows mica?

Corsetière wrote:Good luck with your painting, James!

I shall need it. It rains a lot here, and unpredictably. I'd like to get it done so I can enjoy it for at least 24 hours before I have to leave.

Olson185
Been here a good while

Post by Olson185 »

Glidden apparently doesn't make Deep Garnet anymore so we didn't paint the sleeping porch spindles as expected. We learned not to paint the yellow (Glidden 'Early Morning') before the red because of potential drip concealing required. Marina found a near match; which is okay since one can only see the front porch and sleeping porch from a particular spot in the side yard.

So, instead, I pulled poison ivy (again), though there was very little, and then I started pulling English (or whatever) ivy that has encroached 10'-20' into the yard from the perimeter (most of it originates in our neighbours' yards). Under the English ivy I found an 8' section of 6' tall stockade fence that never belonged us. Both neighbours in the back have replaced their fences in the last two years; not sure to whom it belonged. Hmm. Nice neighbours!

While I was pulling ivy, Marina was trimming the 40' of roses along the front picket fence.

I have never taken apart a carburetor but the $17 carburetor rebuild kit arrived for our Briggs & Stratton lawn mower engine so, I guess, I'll be doing that tomorrow. It cost $80 and 12 days of waiting, two years ago, to have the carburetor cleaned and the fuel filter replaced during a tune-up.

Glad the question is, "What I did *at* my house today..." or I'd appear to never do anything.
~James

Fourth generation in a family of artists, engineers, architects, woodworkers, and metalworkers. Mine is a family of Viking craftsmen. What we can't create, we pillage, and there's nothing we can't create. But, sometimes, we pillage anyway.

Lily left the valley

Post by Lily left the valley »

Ya'll are making me feel like a lazy doofus lately, the rate you're getting work done.
Corsetière wrote:
Manalto wrote:
Corsetière wrote:

I spent all day doing yard work so I think I will have a Manhattan on the porch and then finish stripping the glass on another transom before I pass out. :lol:

Good luck with your painting, James!
Wow. Stunning.

Corsetière wrote:These two photos are are posted sheerly for everyone's amusement:

Totally safe, yeah?

And this photo is basically a microcosm of my house, half fancy and half utterly derelict! LOL!
Reminds me of the four plug in our spare bedroom that obviously caught on fire at some point. :lol:

Manalto wrote:
Corsetière wrote:Good luck with your painting, James!

I shall need it. It rains a lot here, and unpredictably. I'd like to get it done so I can enjoy it for at least 24 hours before I have to leave.
I can't imagine what it's like to be working with the windows of time you have. I've been going batty just over the rain here, and this is our only home. :crazy:

Olson185 wrote:Glad the question is, "What I did *at* my house today..." or I'd appear to never do anything.
I resemble this remark. Especially with lawn/garden stuff. :whistle:
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.