What I did at my house today...

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Re: What I did at my house today...

Post by Willa »

Corsetière wrote:I had gotten a quote to have someone haul it out and it was over $500! So my plan is to slowly toss the bagged stuff (stored in my garage) and then get a Bagster pop up dumpster for the old 2x4s and toilets, etc. The Bagster is $30 and the $120 for removal of the first Bagster in my area. Additional loads are $90 if you have a single pickup date.

Plus given my situation, I am best off doing it myself so I don't have to deal with worker safety regulations since I won't be paying anyone, etc. Who knew simple waste removal could turn into such an ordeal?

Garbage removal quotes vary wildly. I found a cheap-ish place that has a policy about dimensional size - ie an intact cabinet will cost more to discard than the same cabinet flattened. I was happy to pay those dudes to carry off the load of broken cinder blocks that were moved across the yard v.s. ever touching them again.

It feels great to get rid of thar crud, though. It will be like you've grown a whole new basement.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Vala wrote:stained.jpg

Started refinishing/restaining again, on doors that were taken off the hinges and put in the attic with 1 side painted, I think it turned out nicely.

Vala, it did turn out nicely. Maybe being in the attic saved them from being painted both sides. Do you still have the hardware in place to rehang?

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Willa, Corcetiere, I believe upper management has the same thought for a shelf in her kitchen.

Vala

Post by Vala »

Gothichome wrote:
Vala wrote:stained.jpg

Started refinishing/restaining again, on doors that were taken off the hinges and put in the attic with 1 side painted, I think it turned out nicely.

Vala, it did turn out nicely. Maybe being in the attic saved them from being painted both sides. Do you still have the hardware in place to rehang?

Thanks, the knob and escutcheon (and mortise lock) were all there, it was missing the hinges but I have salvaged hinges that match I took off the escutcheon and knob to boil the paint and rust off.

Here's the before pic, although the knob wasn't painted it was rusty. The other side while not painted, had blobs of paint on it from careless painters so I ended up refinishing that side too.

door before.jpg
door before.jpg (406.58 KiB) Viewed 268 times

Willa

Post by Willa »

Vala - what stain and finish did you use for your door ? It looks really excellent. No one would think that was the same door.

Willa

Post by Willa »

Gothichome wrote:Willa, Corcetiere, I believe upper management has the same thought for a shelf in her kitchen.

There are some nice reproduction cast iron brackets on Ebay for a reasonable price, if you can find a seller who isn't using Ebay's extortionary "Global Shipping Program".

Willa

Post by Willa »

Carpenter John got the kitchen cabinets up yesterday. There was some fussing as the single section at the end had to be trimmed off, as my wall was not long enough. In fact - no wall in the entire house was long enough.

The tongue and groove backing went on quickly, and the installation went smoothly and quickly. I am very pleased with how this turned out.

The original tongue and groove wainscotting was missing from the wall next to the cabinet. Luckily the basement stairwell had a section that we were able to salvage from. It was surprising that this t & g was all clear pine, used in the most utilitarian of locations.

_DSC0002.jpg
_DSC0002.jpg (1.19 MiB) Viewed 264 times

Vala

Post by Vala »

Willa wrote:Vala - what stain and finish did you use for your door ? It looks really excellent. No one would think that was the same door.

Why thank you! I use Zar oil stain (shade 118 Dark Mahogany) and amber shellac.

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

Willa, the cabinet looks beautiful there, and Vala, the door looks great. Some really nice work going on.
Bonnie

Willa

Post by Willa »

I scored a pair of these cabinets for $ 100.00 ($ 50.00/ea). The backs were missing, and one had some rotten or burnt boards on the bottom shelf that needed replacing. Despite this, the cabinets were really "built" with 1" thick boards - possibly school or church furniture ?

John the carpenter continued his patient work, and repaired the damage. I wanted to use this cabinet as a work surface in the kitchen. However, it would partially cover the only heat vent in the room. The solution was to elevate it on small casters, which left room for the air to circulate and created room for a toe kick. The finish on the top of the cabinet was pretty damaged. I suspected it was shellac, so I tested a small area with denatured alcohol. It rubbed right off, taking loads of grime with it. After a few passes with an alcohol-soaked rag it was cleaner, and the surface had been smoothed out. It still has lots of patina , but the improvement was surprising. The other cabinet had paint spilled on the front, which I was also able to wipe off with alcohol.

Kitchen reno's are nearing an end, with only some minor fussing and floor painting ahead.

_DSC0001.jpg
_DSC0001.jpg (1.54 MiB) Viewed 241 times

* Yes, those are rags stuffed around the back door. Weatherstripping is on the list.