What I did at my house today...

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: What I did at my house today...

Post by awomanwithahammer »

Manalto wrote:
Do you mean you can remove windows from the frame? But seriously, I have to learn how to do that. And retrieve the sash weights that have broken off. One broke off yesterday as I was freeing up windows. Is there a window restoration tutorial you can recommend?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm going to leave the tutorial recommendations to the experts, but I will say that you don't have to treat the sashes with kid gloves when you're taking them out. I was surprised at how much "womanhandling" they can take.

Gibson, a good picture would be very helpful. I can see mostly how it's put together, but a little more detail would be nice.
Bonnie

GibsonGM
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GibsonGM »

I treat sashes with 'respect', but they DO sometimes require a little...persuasion, ha ha! After 1 or 2, you learn how they like to be treated. They are stronger than one thinks, but glass can be easy to break of course.

Here ya go Bonnie - glazing easel. Just a 24"H x 26"W piece of 1/2" plywood and some 2x4, and strapping scraps.

The legs are 20" long, cut at 10 degrees on the front. Crosspieces are just to make it 'firm' and give somewhere to clamp this down, place as you like. The supporting arms are cut 45 degrees on the bottom end, 35 on top (of course, we set the plywood back so lost 10 degrees...). Works pretty good! I clamp it to a work bench (piece of plywood currently...) with a big C clamp. Leave a couple inches in front to rest the sash on. I sit on a stool when glazing and find this to be more comfortable...

I put the crosspiece behind the plywood on first to make attaching the ply easier...used 1 1/4" sheetrock screws for that part. The more square you make it, the better.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Looks pretty handy and great way to use up scraps Gibson. I still use my trusty old picnic table. The sash fits nicely between the boards on the seat and lean it against the table top. Also allows for a flat spot for the sash to do sanding, prepping and any thing else. As a bonus it holds my beer as well. :thumbup:
Well what I did today, moved a ton of stones down to my river bank by hand, broke a pane of glass, removed said sash and removed broken pane. Did the prep on a storm window. Dead headed the rose plants, weeded the box gardens. Sat by my river and had a few beers at the end of it all.

GibsonGM
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GibsonGM »

Sounds like an ideal day, Gothic! I like a flat area to install glass, etc., too, so I made that removeable. Can't glaze flat anymore tho, my back is always screaming by the end. I'm a painter and I get requests to do a whole house of sashes sometimes! Need a system for that, IMO. I like my picnic table for big storm windows, tho!!! :)

The end of my day yesterday involved trying to find the bear that's wandering around my property now, or at least make sure it's not taking up residence. Heard but didn't see (yet, just some scat).

awomanwithahammer

GibsonGM wrote:Sounds like an ideal day, Gothic! I like a flat area to install glass, etc., too, so I made that removeable. Can't glaze flat anymore tho, my back is always screaming by the end. I'm a painter and I get requests to do a whole house of sashes sometimes! Need a system for that, IMO. I like my picnic table for big storm windows, tho!!! :)

Thanks, Gibson! Can't wait to give that a try.
The end of my day yesterday involved trying to find the bear that's wandering around my property now, or at least make sure it's not taking up residence. Heard but didn't see (yet, just some scat).
:o We get bears wandering around here all the time. Be careful.
Bonnie

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

awomanwithahammer wrote:
Manalto wrote: Is there a window restoration tutorial you can recommend?

I'm going to leave the tutorial recommendations to the experts...

I'd settle for a recommendation from an amateur. I'm just about to embark on some window work in preparation of painting. I can certainly peruse YouTube videos, and have a pretty good idea of which ones are good. Someone's comment (Gibson?) about applying blopentine to exposed, dried-out wood in preparation of painting has compelled me to ask about this, since missing a step can sometimes mean it's not easy to go back and do things correctly. Another technique I recently learned about was the thin bead of putty/glazing compound before inserting the glass. I've replaced a few pieces of glass, mostly small garage windows, and never realized that this was the way to do it. So, it's things like this that make me want to learn how to do my window work thoroughly and correctly.

Sorry if this is a boring or obvious question, but that's the kind of questions we newbies ask!

awomanwithahammer

James, read this thread--https://thehistoricdistrict.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12070. Jade and Sashguy are the real pros and there's a LOT of really great information from them and others. It has helped me tremendously. There are links to some good videos as well.

I'm with you on wanting to learn how to restore windows properly. Fortunately, the learning curve hasn't been too steep for me. I've nearly completed two windows, and the contrast between the two is pretty dramatic.

Hope this helps.
Bonnie

awomanwithahammer

P.S. I'd never even replaced a pane of glass in a window before this!
Bonnie

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Manalto wrote:
awomanwithahammer wrote:
Manalto wrote: Is there a window restoration tutorial you can recommend?

I'm going to leave the tutorial recommendations to the experts...

I'd settle for a recommendation from an amateur. I'm just about to embark on some window work in preparation of painting. I can certainly peruse YouTube videos, and have a pretty good idea of which ones are good. Someone's comment (Gibson?) about applying blopentine to exposed, dried-out wood in preparation of painting has compelled me to ask about this, since missing a step can sometimes mean it's not easy to go back and do things correctly. Another technique I recently learned about was the thin bead of putty/glazing compound before inserting the glass. I've replaced a few pieces of glass, mostly small garage windows, and never realized that this was the way to do it. So, it's things like this that make me want to learn how to do my window work thoroughly and correctly.

Sorry if this is a boring or obvious question, but that's the kind of questions we newbies ask!

Posted a response in the Craftsman section.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Manalto wrote:
Mick_VT wrote:ebay is my hardware store

I've heard of that site. How do you determine the quality of the hardware?

really by just looking at the pictures. I only buy antique hardware from there - not the repro stuff
Mick...