What I did at my house today...

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: What I did at my house today...

Post by Manalto »

Today I met with a carpenter who is going to make me two screen doors. In one of them, he's going to incorporate the louvers of my existing, way out of square, door.

ImageScreen door louvers by James McInnis, on Flickr

I'll strip the paint off of it and get it ready.

This is premature, considering what else has to be done in this house, but real screen doors are a top priority for me and a luxury I'm allowing myself.

Can someone recommend a supplier for good hardware?

Jamie
Settling in

Post by Jamie »

First off Welcome to Alabama... I've been a Damn Yankee in the state for nearly 20 years now. It was best move I ever made. I just snapped this picture of my screen door to give an idea of one kind of installataion. I reused a set of old fancy cast iron hinges and just surface mounted them on the door and frame.
The latch/doorknob is a basic knob on the outside and lever on the inside set up. I'm pretty sure they are a hardware staple and easy to find. The brass door knob is a 30+ year old reproduction bought from a catalogue. They are readily found on E-Bay and salvage stores.

I've got "hook and eyes" installed to act as a double lock for night security. During the day I just use the slide catch which immoblizes the doorknob . I don't use my central air much instead using open windows and doors to facilitate air flow throughout the house. My neighbors know the heat is unbearable when they see my front door closed and hear the compressor running when I'm home!!
Attachments
screen door front 2017.JPG
screen door front 2017.JPG (82.2 KiB) Viewed 402 times

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Manalto wrote:

ebay is my hardware store
Mick...

Sow's Ear Mal
Stalwart

Post by Sow's Ear Mal »

For original, period hardware-

http://www.eddonaldson.com/index.htm#Original

http://www.bobrothhardware.com/?gclid=C ... oCxdnw_wcB

I've also bought from http://www.vandykes.com/ Some there was good quality, some less so.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Mick_VT wrote:ebay is my hardware store

I've heard of that site. How do you determine the quality of the hardware?

GibsonGM
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GibsonGM »

You have the basis of a NICE screen door with those shutters, Manalto!

Jamie - that one is AWESOME!

I made a new, improved glazing palette today. The one I'd cobbled together was terrible, so I actually took the time (1 hour) to assemble this out of scrap I had laying around. 10 degree back-tip, and you can clamp it to a work table.

Never mind the mess in the background, this is the old stable, my 'workshop'...that Ashley wood stove makes a useful work top!

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

GibsonGM wrote:
I made a new, improved glazing palette today. The one I'd cobbled together was terrible, so I actually took the time (1 hour) to assemble this out of scrap I had laying around. 10 degree back-tip, and you can clamp it to a work table.

Hmmm...that's quite interesting. I've been laying my sashes flat on the work space and it kills my back to bend over it. Might have to steal that.

James, that'll be a really nice screen door. Jamie, I like your trim color, and the door! I grew up in Huntsville; are you close to there?

Corsetiere, you go, girl! You'll be finished in no time.

Olson, y'all were busy, but it sounds like you got a lot done.
Bonnie

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Corsetière wrote:Progress! The balcony part is stripped! :D

That will look great once stained up.

GibsonGM
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GibsonGM »

awomanwithahammer wrote:Hmmm...that's quite interesting. I've been laying my sashes flat on the work space and it kills my back to bend over it. Might have to steal that.

Have at it! I had an older one that I'd made years ago, and it stunk. It was 'flexible', so it would rock while glazing. Bugged me for a long time. But not as bad as doing them flat, as you've found!! That is HORRIBLE, lol.

I glaze (and paint) in a backwards "L", all panes, then rotate the sash 180 degrees and do the same to finish. You can see that the sash gets clamped so it is stable.

Just 4' of 2x4, some strapping and a piece of plywood 24"w x 30" H. The perspective in this is odd, you can't see the 'arms' that come up at a 45 to stabilize the ply too well. If you want to build it, let me know and I will put up a better pic!! :mrgreen:

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

awomanwithahammer wrote:I've been laying my sashes flat on the work space and it kills my back to bend over it.

Do you mean you can remove windows from the frame? But seriously, I have to learn how to do that. And retrieve the sash weights that have broken off. One broke off yesterday as I was freeing up windows. Is there a window restoration tutorial you can recommend?

awomanwithahammer wrote:James, that'll be a really nice screen door.

I think so. It's a high front stoop, so the louvered part will be right at eye level, affording a bit more privacy in the front of the house. One reason I liked the carpenter was his enthusiasm when I told him I wanted to incorporate the louvers into the new door.

awomanwithahammer wrote:Jamie, I like your trim color, and the door!

I agree. Beautiful job, Jamie.