What I did at my house today...

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: What I did at my house today...

Post by awomanwithahammer »

Willa wrote:I scored a pair of these cabinets for $ 100.00 ($ 50.00/ea).

Unbelievable!

What is the metal apparatus on the wall to the right of the cabinet?
Bonnie

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

It is one of those chrome 1950's foil, waxed paper and paper towel dispensers. Very handy (thank goodness they've never changed the width of the rolls). Mine looks similar to this:

d51b8e3472f4e4deeda613117a751c6f.jpg
d51b8e3472f4e4deeda613117a751c6f.jpg (186.57 KiB) Viewed 398 times

awomanwithahammer

Oh, yes, that would be very handy.
Bonnie

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Added another plug to the kitchen and reworked my bacement lighting, had to relocate to allow for the new kitchen plumbing.

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Willa wrote:It is one of those chrome 1950's foil, waxed paper and paper towel dispensers. Very handy (thank goodness they've never changed the width of the rolls). Mine looks similar to this:

d51b8e3472f4e4deeda613117a751c6f.jpg

Oh that's cool, Willa!

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Pulled out all the Smilax, Ophiopogon and other invasive species that I could find on the south property line. Planted three Ilex 'Burford Dwarf' along aforementioned line. There's a huge live oak above and much effort has already been expended removing volunteer trees that have grown up through the oak, cluttering up its beautiful form. The Burford Hollies should produce an under-story of low, neutral shrubbery so focus will be on the tree. It needs no adornment.

Also, I'm enjoying my 1947 GE refrigerator. It's keeping everything fresh and chilly, and looking pretty snazzy in the bargain, if I do say so myself.

ImageGE refrigerator interior by James McInnis, on Flickr

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

Manalto wrote:Also, I'm enjoying my 1947 GE refrigerator. It's keeping everything fresh and chilly, and looking pretty snazzy in the bargain, if I do say so myself.

So is it one of the three that you acquired, or are all three fridges appearing together in the fridge pictured ? Did you have to do much tinkering to arrive at the optimum fridge ?

awomanwithahammer

Where are the pictures of the trees?

Nice fridge!
Bonnie

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Here's a view, looking toward the street, of the oak before removal of the volunteer trees:
ImageLive oak Chickasaw by James McInnis, on Flickr

The two trees just to the right of my neighbor's screen house, a Southern magnolia (Magnolia grandiflora) and a camphor tree (Cinnamomum camphora) are slated for professional removal on Monday. (They look spindly in the photo, but both are about a foot in diameter. I'm too nervous to tackle felling these trees given their location near my neighbor's building and also electrical wires. Besides, the oak needs a little pruning.) Beyond the live oak you can see a few trees growing up through the oak's canopy. I've removed them and planted Dwarf Burford hollies in their place. An "after" photo will require about five years to look like anything. Stay tuned...

The refrigerator I brought down south with me was not cosmetically the best of the three, but soundest mechanically. (The nicest-looking one had a broken section of interior wall close to the latch.) The drawers and shelves were harvested from all three fridges. It seems to be holding up well, keeps a good temperature and doesn't run all that much. With a gun to my head I might be convinced to replace another door gasket - it's a task that guarantees a spike in blood pressure.

Today I tried out the heat gun for stripping paint, moving willy-nilly around the house to see what was under that dreadful lavender paint. I'm pleased to report that the woodwork was probably natural originally; it's a handsome oak with a dark stain. Fireplace mantles are a different, more finely-grained wood. Originally, I thought I'd strip the thick paint from the woodwork and repaint, but now natural-wood trim and doors are a possibility - and a bigger project.

awomanwithahammer

Manalto wrote:Originally, I thought I'd strip the thick paint from the woodwork and repaint, but now natural-wood trim and doors are a possibility - and a bigger project.

:lol: Of course! What doesn't turn into a bigger project when you're working on an old house?!

It's a beautiful tree. Good on getting pros to take down the others.

What's the temp been down there? I know it's colder than usual, even that far south.
Bonnie