What I did at my house today...

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Re: What I did at my house today...

Post by Willa »

A couple of days ago I accidentally broke my antique glass towel bar. It had survived in use for at least 80 years at my former house, then through two moves. But - oops - I broke it :(

Luckily I had been watching an antique towel bar that I previously could not justify as I did not need another one. Now it is mine. $ 10.00. I picked it up this afternoon and promptly installed it.

$_59-9.JPG
$_59-9.JPG (95.13 KiB) Viewed 1443 times

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Willa wrote:...I had been watching an antique towel bar that I previously could not justify as I did not need another one. Now it is mine. $ 10.00. I picked it up this afternoon...

Very nice, and a good deal. But where are its teeth? :problem:

Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Corsetière »

Willa wrote:A couple of days ago I accidentally broke my antique glass towel bar. It had survived in use for at least 80 years at my former house, then through two moves. But - oops - I broke it :(

Luckily I had been watching an antique towel bar that I previously could not justify as I did not need another one. Now it is mine. $ 10.00. I picked it up this afternoon and promptly installed it.

$_59-9.JPG

Oooh! I need something similar!

In other news...pray for me. I am tackling the pocket doors. ugh! :crazy:

Willa

Post by Willa »

Corsetière wrote:

Haha - well at least the pocket doors are THERE - no chasing doors that are almost the right size with missing hardware. But the paint stripping misery - you have my sympathy.

awomanwithahammer

Post by awomanwithahammer »

Corsetière wrote:In other news...pray for me. I am tackling the pocket doors. ugh! :crazy:

The goddess be with you!

Willa wrote:A couple of days ago I accidentally broke my antique glass towel bar. It had survived in use for at least 80 years at my former house, then through two moves. But - oops - I broke it :(

That's really pretty, Willa. And the price can't be beat! Is it brass, and heavy? But how aggravating to break something you'd been so careful of for so long!
Manalto wrote:Very nice, and a good deal. But where are its teeth? :problem:

:lol:
Bonnie

Willa

Post by Willa »

awomanwithahammer wrote:That's really pretty, Willa. And the price can't be beat! Is it brass, and heavy?

It's chrome over brass. The finish has worn through in a couple of spots but I am not fussy about perfection. The quality of older items like this is so much better than what is currently produced.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Willa wrote:
It's chrome over brass.

It might be nickel; a lot of the earlier plated items are. Nickel has warmer, more mellow appearance (closer to silver in color) than chrome, but it's softer so it will show wear from use.

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Willa wrote:
Corsetière wrote:

Haha - well at least the pocket doors are THERE - no chasing doors that are almost the right size with missing hardware. But the paint stripping misery - you have my sympathy.

True. On one hand, it would speed up the abatement process but it would be harder to deal with later on.

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

awomanwithahammer wrote:
Corsetière wrote:In other news...pray for me. I am tackling the pocket doors. ugh! :crazy:

The goddess be with you!

Thank you! I am invoking any dieties that can help! Coincidentally my Ganesha (remover of obstacles) statue turned up when I was cleaning up a storage room. C'mon, Ganesha! Remove all barriers! :lol:

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Corcetiere, we have seen your work, I don’t think you need deities, unless of course they are looking for a lesson on paint stripping from you.