What I did at my house today...

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
nhguy
Stalwart

Re: What I did at my house today...

Post by nhguy »

Nice. I'm typing my note 5 feet from our Fireview Stove by Woodstock Soapstone in West Lebanon, NH. We got 8 inches the other day when you got your snow. Skiing is back for the season, as I have two days in so far. I'm going to Loon tomorrow in Lincoln, NH. Stay warm by your stove this winter. By the way I did our kitchen for fun in the Ikea software and it worked quite well.

GinaC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GinaC »

Soapstone! Oh, I bet that is gorgeous! I'm going to get soapstone countertops when I redo my kitchen.

And yes, I really need to stop stressing over house stuff and go up to Jay to ski!
1939 Minimal Traditional

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Gina, it looks so cozy. Now that you have the wood stacked you can use the sleigh for thrill rides down your driveway.

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

My lack of posts here have not been due to lack of stuff happening nor my lack of caring about other folks' progress, just my lack of time to be here more. :whistle:

Today we moved two more bales' worth of R23 Roxul Rockwool™ (rebranding) to the attic, and we've only got about 3/4s of a room to cover (craft room) to finish the first layer. Then it's on to doing above the sill plate in the cellar. We may wait until next year to start the second R30 in the attic because the hot water heater coil in the boiler bit the dust, and our washing machine started leaking. Waiting on the Black Friday sales to buy the washing machine. We already know the coil replacement will be a eye gouging $700 job to get the coil type that will last longest. (Coils don't last here long due to water quality.)

Also installed a wonderful ebay find, NOS. The side holes (only left seen in the pic) were likely the original thermostat, and weren't evident until we removed the newer cheapo basic programmable that burned through batteries like no tomorrow. Oddly, appears there was some (spray?) foam just inside and above the bigger hole for the wires through the lathe, no idea why. We'll look into that more when we get closer to painting that room way down the road and will clean up the holes overall then. Since there's almost always me at home, we really don't use that function (programmable) like we had with former places when we both worked outside our residence. Originally, I was eyeballing a silver tone which was WAY too expensive for our budget. I realized, though, with all our warm woodwork, this subdued golden tone works well. This one was $42.45 with shipping! I couldn't believe out luck. Came in the original box, with all original everything: mounting plate, envelope with screws, directions/how to get a replacement mercury.

Now that the outside is getting frosty, hope to catch up a bit and read/post more here again.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

I've been wondering about you, Lily.

Nice thermostat, so much more pleasing to look at than the plastic atrocities. OSHA would like to remind you not to crack it open and drink the mercury. It looks a little bit like it has a cartoon frown...

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Well this weekend I puttered about on little ten minute jobs around the home. Biggest project was getting up into the attic and cleaning up the bat droppings and laying down clean tarps.

Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Corsetière »

I rewired my sconces but have a question about the wiring for the lamp experts here. I replaced the sockets and wire. But the metal socket casings were different on both fixtures, one was narrow enough that I could not fit a cardboard insulator all the way down inside, so I just shoved it as far as it would go and trimmed it. This seems be holding it snug in the casing now. I'd hate to have to replace that metal casing because I think that "Hubbell" branded one is original. What are your thoughts on this not having an insulator all the way down, it this potentially dangerous?

In other news I managed to sneak around $400 worth of irises into the ground before terrible weather hits! Not much rhyme or reason to how I put them in but at least they are in!

Oh yeah! And I also started Christmas decorating because it is going to take me forever to decide how I want to place some of the new stuff I recently got!

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

The staircase looks beautiful, Larissa. I remember that process not too long ago!

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Corcetiere, are the connection screws isolated from the outer shell? If not a couple winds of a good electrical tape should be in order. Often the paper insulator does this job. Have you decided we’re to mount them yet?

Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Corsetière »

Gothichome wrote:Corcetiere, are the connection screws isolated from the outer shell? If not a couple winds of a good electrical tape should be in order. Often the paper insulator does this job. Have you decided we’re to mount them yet?

Ok! I was thinking about using some electric tape. I’ll do that just to be safe, thanks! Yeah they would look great in several spots In this house but I think they will go in the 2nd floor hall for now because there this really terrible looking contemporary fixture there at the moment that disgusts me every time I look at it. Lol