What I did at my house today...

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: What I did at my house today...

Post by Manalto »

Now it looks like a real person lives there. Byoo-tee-full!

Vala

Post by Vala »

Manalto wrote:Now it looks like a real person lives there. Byoo-tee-full!

Thank you! My thoughts exactly!

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

Just gorgeous!
Bonnie

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Vala, what an improvement, the top sash with stained glass surrounding the clear creates a nice pictur window with that tree in view. Are these sashes the Hoffmeyer sashes, is so how are they working out for you?
Willa, as phill suggested, a tarp to surround you while working will make it a lot more comfortable up there to work, it will also extend your working window well into November should you need the paint time before it really gets cold.

Vala

Post by Vala »

Gothichome wrote:Vala, what an improvement, the top sash with stained glass surrounding the clear creates a nice pictur window with that tree in view. Are these sashes the Hoffmeyer sashes, is so how are they working out for you?

Thank you very much. Yes that's a Hoffmeyer window. I have sent them pics of some of the windows I've installed before which include another one like this but they haven't updated their gallery yet. This window is in the sewing room which also has our computers in it (as one can tell from the pics) so I really do enjoy the stained glass while I'm at the computer now.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

This weekend, other than antiquing, I got the back corner of our lot cleaned out and burnt, did some lumberjacking on our mulberry weed tree and got the second of our new storm windows installed. A slack day Saturday made for a busy bay today.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

a while back I got a free wheelbarrow with two wheels, both flat. Someone gave me a couple of new wheels with tubes and tires but the wheels were plastic and the holes were too big.. So I tried changing tires. had quite a struggle getting the tires off the plastic wheels. I guess they have machines for this.. I just have screwdrivers and determination.. lol..
after I had them all swapped around surely enough I had pinched a tube. I patched the tube up , at first unsuccessfully because the phone rang and in my haste I missed the hole.. so I tore off the patch to try it again.. I'm hoping that worked so I can get it back on the road ;-)
I was so determined to finish my roof I neglected my lawn..If I can still call it lawn. I'm trying to beat it back to shape with the weed whacker. I got some done. Its time to put stuff away and tidy up for the winter rainy season. .. I will start back into the roofing in the spring once I see some dependable weather. the first half looks nice and I want to continue but I better wait.

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

I have started the next step in paint removal - the heat gun. It really does move things along. I said I didn't wanna, but it was the only logical thing to do, short of spending a fortune on a product like Peel Away (which seems to be not available in Canada anymore ?). It will give a much smoother surface for the next generation of paint. The old paint is very checked and loose.

The decorative shingles are made from some kind of fibrous wood that is pretty soft. I have been trying to be careful about not gouging them, or stripping off a layer of wood as I scrape. I've put in a couple of days with the heat gun. These pics are where I started from today. I can do about three hours with the heat gun before my arms and shoulders get too sore.

One new discovery is that the fishscale shingles have a decorative floral pattern embossed on the surface ! It was invisible under the paint, so I was really surprised to see it. Today was overcast - great for scraping - though a sunny day with harsh shadows makes the pattern much more visible. It must have looked fancy when it was brand new, under the first coat of paint. Whoever doodled up this house really loaded on as much exterior detail as possible.

A couple of small outer pices have fractured off the medium side corbels. I have carefully saved them. They will need to be glued and clamped. Can anyone advise as to what type of glue is best for this application, outside ?

The shingles so far have been sound. The smallest corbels have paint that is still firm, so I don't know if I will heat strip that off ? The medium corbels are somewhat fragile due to the incised patterns, and I haven't started with the largest corbel.

So far so good ?

_DSC0013 2.jpg
_DSC0013 2.jpg (1.82 MiB) Viewed 1448 times

_DSC0017.jpg
_DSC0017.jpg (1.68 MiB) Viewed 1448 times

_DSC0015 2.jpg
_DSC0015 2.jpg (1.63 MiB) Viewed 1448 times

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Willa wrote:One new discovery is that the fishscale shingles have a decorative floral pattern embossed on the surface !

Wow - that floral stamp on the fishscale shingles is a really interesting choice for so high up and a stunning contrast to details (not) found on today's houses. At first it seems like a throwaway but I'll bet it will be subtly visible in the afternoon when the sun comes around - especially if you use a paint with a bit of sheen.

The advice I've always heard is if the old paint is adhering strongly to the wood, leave it.

I've repeated your adhesive question below to be sure someone who knows the answer will see it. How to choose fillers and adhesives for wood are a mystery to me.

Willa wrote:A couple of small outer pieces have fractured off the medium side corbels. I have carefully saved them. They will need to be glued and clamped. Can anyone advise as to what type of glue is best for this application, outside ?

Vala

Post by Vala »

Willa wrote:One new discovery is that the fishscale shingles have a decorative floral pattern embossed on the surface ! It was invisible under the paint, so I was really surprised to see it. Today was overcast - great for scraping - though a sunny day with harsh shadows makes the pattern much more visible. It must have looked fancy when it was brand new, under the first coat of paint. Whoever doodled up this house really loaded on as much exterior detail as possible.

A couple of small outer pices have fractured off the medium side corbels. I have carefully saved them. They will need to be glued and clamped. Can anyone advise as to what type of glue is best for this application, outside ?

Wow what a cool find! I've never seen anything like that before.

About glue, you would want Titebond III - it's waterproof and rated for outdoor use. I've had great results using it. You should be able to find it in a hardware store, if not it is available online. But unless you're going to be doing a LOT of gluing, I suggest buying the smallest bottle it really does last you a long time.

Never use wood putty for anything bigger than a nail hole, as it is very prone to falling out. You can use sarco putty to patch wood - though I hear that is also not available in Canada, so if you have some larger areas to fill you might want to look into Abatron products.