What I did at my house today...

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: What I did at my house today...

Post by Manalto »

Ahhhhhhhh...

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

Vala those windows are a thing of beauty. the pointing looks so neat too.

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Nicely done, Vala. If I'd never seen the photo with the vinyl, I'd have assumed the "new" one was always there. :thumbup:
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Electricians finished up today, replaced my floors and re installed the toilet. From one outlet and one light to half a dozen outlets and two lights. We feel so modern :thumbup:

Vala

Post by Vala »

Thanks very much for the compliments, everyone. Much appreciated! I've still got many more windows to look forward to working on!

Sow's Ear Mal
Stalwart

Post by Sow's Ear Mal »

Today, I did something FOR my house, rather than at. Hubby and I have been discussing an addition to the left side of the stone part of the house. We flipped back and forth as to whether to go stick-frame, or try another antique log structure. I guess I sort of decided the outcome, because this morning I bought this: :shock:
cumberland 1 sm.jpg
cumberland 1 sm.jpg (100.27 KiB) Viewed 240 times

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

So much good work going on!

Jeep, I love the outdoor kitchen. You'll enjoy that so much!

Vala, that window is just beautiful. I'm curious as to how you got the window and the frame together? It looks as though the stained glass window was original to the frame, but was it, or did you luck out finding the right size? You might have told the story in another thread and I just missed it.

Gothichome, isn't it amazing how much you appreciate small things like lights and outlets and toilets? ;-)

Mal, seriously? :lol:

I've been hitting the master bedroom and bath hard for the last couple of weeks; the one that looked like this:

I had to wait a couple of weeks for it to rain before covering the water-damaged corner. I wanted to wait to see if it was still wet. In the meantime, I worked on the bathroom and the bedroom ceiling, which was seriously wavy. To try to even out the waves, I taped and mudded the high spots, and followed that with a wider mesh and several more coats of mud. I finished yesterday with the final skim coat, and I'm pleased to say that the ceiling appears to be dead straight! Pictures to follow when I get it painted.

So we did get some rain and that corner seems to have remained dry, so I've started patching it. However, when I came in the day after the rain, I noticed a big water spot by the front door. Aaarrrgh!
When I bought the house, it was covered in some sort of spray-on rubber coating. I've always thought that contributed to at least some of the water damage present in the house, because it cracked and pulled away from the brick, trapping water behind it, and now I'm convinced. I had almost all of it power washed off, but some remained and there were a couple of big patches that corresponded exactly to where the water stain was inside. When I pulled the coating off, it was completely waterlogged and the brick behind it was soaked. Anyway, now I guess I'll have to cut out the patch and redo it after I make sure everything is dry. Isn't it always something in an old house? :angry-banghead:
Bonnie

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Sow's Ear Mal wrote:Today, I did something FOR my house, rather than at. Hubby and I have been discussing an addition to the left side of the stone part of the house. We flipped back and forth as to whether to go stick-frame, or try another antique log structure. I guess I sort of decided the outcome, because this morning I bought this: :shock: cumberland 1 sm.jpg

Always up for a challenge eh! Mal. Look forward to seeing the project come along.

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

Dear god, there has got to be an easier way to strip old paint from siding!
Bonnie

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

I took off the badly installed aluminum screen door and gave it away on CL. The installer had built up the door frame with strips of wood and blobs of useless caulk. There are the ghosts of where a previous screen door had been - but the depth is a scant 7/8". I ordered a wooden screen door that is sympathetic, and has a removeable tempered glass pane - but that is 1 3/8" thick. From the paint I have stripped, the wood there is old so I don't know what was up with an extra flimsy screen door ? I am guessing that the existing jamb can be routered out to a better depth ?

(Of course I looked online at CL and Kijiji but there were no Cinderella screen doors for me).

There are a million nail and screw holes to fill. The screen door installer had also built up the threshold - and made the same mistake where the threshold protruded just a little into the door frame, so the door could not close properly - like a couple of mm worth. The original threshold below is weathered but still in acceptable condition.

(Still waiting on the carpenter who has been delayed to begin the sill installation)

_DSC0035.jpg
_DSC0035.jpg (1.56 MiB) Viewed 204 times

_DSC0025.JPG
_DSC0025.JPG (1.53 MiB) Viewed 204 times

26277311.jpg
26277311.jpg (16.36 KiB) Viewed 204 times