Value of salvage?

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Vala

Value of salvage?

Post by Vala »

Well over the years, I've amassed a lot of salvage from cleanup/dump days. Window sashes, storm windows, wavy glass, doors, hardware, window weights, framing lumber, doors, newel posts etc. Sadly almost none of this stuff can be used in my house and between the fact I can't use hardly any of it and the fact I'd like to get back the garage/attic space I'm wondering if any of this stuff has any real dollar value? I'd like to get some extra cash and get these pieces to a home that could possibly use them.

Although I do have my eyes on reusing what glass I can for my "re windowing" project.

I know there's a forum here for that sort of thing but I was wondering if there's a good site (to reach a larger audience) to list these things on. ebay maybe for some smaller pieces but larger things like doors or windows, well...

I even have 2x window bank (3 windows wide 6 over 1 center and 4 over 1 flanks) sashes complete with the exterior and interior framing, still stained on the inside, they're beautiful but not something I could use for my house. As well as a very large picture sash, sadly it has been replaced with flat glass.

Mick_VT

Re: Value of salvage?

Post by Mick_VT »

I might list stuff on craigslist first - at least that will target local buys, most of it you probably dont want to get involved with shipping by the sound of it
Mick...

Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Texas_Ranger »

Depends on your local market I guess. I'm in the process of offering my leftover doors for free because I can't see a way anyone would buy them. The few salvage places we have list stuff at outrageous prices but I doubt they sell much so I might be lucky if I manage to get the doors out even for free. I don't have any complete frames/jambs and building them for eight doors plus stripping and repainting six made me long for new solid wood replicas (that aren't actually too expensive considering the amount of work I put into the old doors).

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

One option can be to trade them at the salvage place for other stuff.
Mick...

Vala

Post by Vala »

We dont really have any salvage places around here. But CL is a good idea. Thanks

Kashka-Kat
Stalwart

Post by Kashka-Kat »

All I know is - the minute you get rid of a piece of wood, you'll think of a good use for it. Hey Im no good at all am I :-)

Its definitely worth a try esp if you have a lot of good stuff. Plan B could be taking it to salvage place and bartering for a trade or a certain amount of $$$ off from something you want to buy from them

Be sure to give us link to CL posting or a sneak preview of your merchandise - theres some stuff Im looking for (specific size doors,t rim etc.) and then theres the stuff that "speaks to me" and I have to think of a wayt o use it. Either way its kinda hit or miss if you can find buyers I think, or at least thats been my experience.

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

I'd only recommend letting go of things you are absolutely 100% sure you won't be using. I've had a couple of things that fell into this category. In my case, I was able to use it as trading material with someone else who was restoring a house.

Vala

Post by Vala »

Almost none of it I can use. I can't use any of the window sashes, they're ALL the wrong size, not even close. Also I'm going to get new wood mahogany windows from Hoffmeyer's so I definitely won't need any of them. Wrong sized doors? I'm not into shimming about 3 inches on each side to be able to use it. Hardware and glass, I'll keep that. I really can't see myself ever using 9/10 of this stuff.

lovesickest
Forgotten more than most know

Post by lovesickest »

Then let it go and don't look back !

If you are sort of close to a large urban center, take pics of what you've got, email a bunch of the salvage places in the closest cities, and maybe one of them will take the whole lot and give you a pittance or better. I got rid of some of the surplus I had that way. Salvage folks are funny, and what they will/won't take seems to vary with the barometric pressure or their horoscope (in other words - extremely unpredictable and changeable from one day to the next).

CL is a great way to buy/sell and give stuff away. The freebie folk take some wrangling - what with the overambitious without transportation, the flaky no-shows and the intense emailing some people do. Most people are good to great about scoring the free thing, are punctual and even left thank you notes for porch pick-ups. I've had some excellent luck, and hope that some of the recipients of my discards also felt lucky. It feels good to let the excess go and reclaim some square footage in the garage and/or basement and/or yard.

Don M

Post by Don M »

If you have a Habitat for Humanity Re-Store place nearby you could probably donate most of the old house parts and be done with it. You could write it off on your income taxe as a donation.